02/28/2013, 08:35 PM
I have a new tank that has cycled and all the water parameters are good
SG-1.025
ALK-8.4
Calcium-420
Mag-1320
NO2-0
NO3-1
My water is cloudy and from what I have read it is common for new tanks to get a bacteria bloom. I was just wondering how long this may last. I am running GFO/Carbon which I know has no effect on bacteria. I'm running it just to keep my phosphates at 0.

bnumair
02/28/2013, 10:28 PM
bacterial blooms usually last few days to a week.

bertoni
02/28/2013, 11:53 PM
I agree. If it takes more than a week to clear up, you might want to post back here.

mchammer
03/01/2013, 04:16 PM
It's been a week. Does that mean lt's not a bacteria?

bnumair
03/01/2013, 04:45 PM
is it whitish cloudiness or greenish.

keithhays
03/01/2013, 08:35 PM
Assuming it is bacteria (white), they are heterotrophic bacteria i.e. not the normal bacteria you want for nitrification of ammonia. If they are still roaming around visibly then they have a food supply of some sort. I used to have them in new tanks when I used to cycle with shrimp. If you aren't dosing anything, they will eventually die off. I also had this happen one time while a dosing a liquid calcium polygluconate supplement which when overdosed, led to it.

bertoni
03/02/2013, 12:31 AM
How cloudy is the tank? Some water changes might help remove the bacteria and the nutrient in them. Is any food going into the tank?

mchammer
03/02/2013, 07:14 AM
The tank is cycled and I have 3 corals (candy cane, zoo, polyp)and two fish (clown). The cloudy water didn't start until after the tank cycled. I use a shrimp at first and then I used Bio-Spira to speed up the process. It is a white cloudy water and has gotten worse when I started dosing Calcium and ALK. I'm doing a water change this weekend so I will see if that helps.

mchammer
03/02/2013, 09:40 AM

Here is a picture of the tank before I do a water change. Just to show what I am looking at in terms of cloudy water or haze.

bnumair
03/02/2013, 10:46 AM
i think its bacterial bloom and with course of time and water changes it will pass.

mchammer
03/02/2013, 12:39 PM
Thanks bnumair. I'll wait another week after water change.

GiGalo
03/03/2013, 07:17 AM
Run activated carbon to pull out those impurities. I know when i clean my filter in my overflow box with tap water, no matter how much of that water I get out of the filter, I still have a bloom briefly. Activated carbon pulls out the food source that is feeding/causing the bloom.

Check your water source and be sure that it is treated properly. Using RODI water or treated tap water will ensure good water quality.

Also while holding water in a tank until use, can increase salinity through evaporation over time, so if your are storing your water then be sure to check salinity before water change.

Depending on your salt mix you may not need to dose your tank with anything, and if dosing be sure to do so slowly!
Hope this helps!

bertoni
03/03/2013, 12:15 PM
It'll probably pass with time. It's not all that bad.