PDA

View Full Version : Can i have your attention please....the trigger finger.... Is now itchy

meshwheel
03/01/2013, 04:47 PM
Hi guys,
Well, I have got alot of great feedback and help here with my new tank build. It's a 65 gallon tank. Dimensions are 36x18x24. This will be a SPS tank.
I am for the most part a metal halide man, but alas, I want to try either T5's or LED's.
I have it narrowed down pretty much to 3 units. I want or would appreciate loads of technical advice and your opinions. I have kept SPS for a long time. So water quality and such I feel I have down.
Now on to the lighting:

1. 36" ATI T5 fixture. I love the color you can get with SPS and ATI! So what do I go with? 6 bulb or 8 ? What bulb combo would you recommend to make things really pop! I want good strong growth too.:lol2:

2. Reefbreeders LED: If I go this route, I will go either one 32" fixture for 4-500.00 or 2 value fixtures. Two value fixtures would give me 240 watts total! That makes me less concerned about not enough power.
179.00 a fixture!!!!! Hell, if it did not work I could throw it in the trash and go T5. That is so affordable it's sick!!!!:lmao:

3. Razor 160 watt 16K unit. I love the looks. So stylish. A real nice light! More more, but maybe a better light then the Reefbreeders?? I love the 3 spaced out pucks. Love the built in controller. Looks to be growing SPS nicely. It's a sweet looking light for sure. As much as a ATI T5 fixture, or getting close!:hmm2:

Reefman Ron, bhazard, Mike De Leon, Please everyone chime in here. This is a critical decision!!!:beer:

capt85
03/01/2013, 06:18 PM
I have a tank with just about the same dimensions and thinking about switching so I will follow along.

Ostara
03/01/2013, 06:48 PM
I've always used T5 on my tanks (ATI) with great results. I recently upgraded one tank to a larger size and decided to make a foray into LED with some Razors (16k). I have to say, I'm impressed with them. My SPS and magnificas responded extremely well to the new lights. I did burn my LPS and BTAs a bit but they recovered nicely once I moved them all to the very bottom and/or the shade.

I like the fact that I never have to mess with them and that I can adjust the color of the lights with a knob instead of having to haul down a massive fixture and swap bulbs out. They're also silent, which is great. One of my favorite things about them though is the fact that they use half of the energy that the T5 unit did while lighting a tank more than twice as large. I'm eager to see how the temperature of the tank will fare once we get to the 110+ degree summer days.

So I'd say it would be hard to go wrong with option 1 or 3. I haven't used the Reef Breeders LED, but both the ATI units and the Razors are excellent choices in my experience. :)

bertoni
03/02/2013, 12:27 AM
I've never used LED lights, so I can't help.

meshwheel
03/02/2013, 09:11 AM
capt85,
Great! Please do follow along. I wanted to post this hear to get the chemistry crowd's opinion as well. I hope that was ok! I posted this in the equipment forum too. So you can read over there as well.

Ostara,
Excellent reply! Thank you! That's the most informative info I have yet to recieve! So how long have you had the Razors running?? Same coral colors as the T5's? I suppose I am asking: Are they holding their colors with the Razors. The Razors have impressed me quite a bit just from what I have seen and heard thus far.
What I am concerned about with the led's is the burn down time. How much intensity they actually lose per year. First it was a 8-10 year life span, now many are touting 4-5.
I suppose the larger the tank the quicker the savings, no doubt. The Razor is one neat light!

disc1
03/02/2013, 12:42 PM
I wanted to post this hear to get the chemistry crowd's opinion as well.

Do you go to a mechanic when you have medical problems or call an exterminator when your TV is on the fritz???

You'd get a lot more exposure in Reef Discussion and still be seen by 99% of the people you'd be seen by here or in equipment. Not many folks that use the site and don't hit RD. But you'll get a lot more and better replies there. A lot of people skip the Chem board for obvious reasons and I can't help but think that many lighting experts are among them.

Ruffoj926
03/02/2013, 02:36 PM
I have only used LED's and am very pleased. What I like about them is that I don't have to change the bulbs, I can keep absolutely any coral I want, they can slowly ramp up like natural sunlight, and they run cool. My tank is in my bedroom, so low heat is mandatory for me. T5 bulbs put off more heat than LED's, so you might have to use a chiller. And you'll have to replace bulbs periodically. But if those things don't bother you, T5's could be nice, too. But I don't see a lot of advantage to them other than the lower upfront cost.
One big difference between T5's and LED's is the shimmer. T5's have no shimmer, while LED's have tons of shimmer. Different people have different opinions on this, so that may play a factor in your decision. But, since you're coming from metal halides, you're probably used to some shimmer already.

meshwheel
03/02/2013, 03:54 PM
Bertoni,
Thanks! Are you using T5's by any chance?

Thank you

meshwheel
03/02/2013, 03:58 PM
disc1,
Please do not fret! Wayyyyy ahead of you. This same topic was posted in other forums as well at the same time. I posted multiple in the areas I frequent.
I wanted input from different minds in different areas. This is all semi-related. All people keeping saltwaterfish use lights, but many only frequent one or two forums........nuff said...

meshwheel
03/02/2013, 04:02 PM
Ruffoj926,
Thanks for the info too! Yes, I like the shimmer but could live without it. I have been told if I use the ATI 24" 6 bulb unit over my tank it will give me a par of 200 and the sand bed! That is very powerful, at only 144 watts!!!!!
I was told I can keep any SPS I want up towards the top. That's less wattage then most led "Coral Ready" fixtures!
Just trying to weight out all my options. I like the "thinkers" in the chemistry forum, so wanted to post here as well.
Thanks!

tmz
03/02/2013, 08:28 PM
I use halides and vho actinics with some led add ons(reef brites).
Have no opinion on full led systems for sps . It's still evolving.

tmz
03/02/2013, 08:30 PM
That a nice beetle(kaefer, I think in German) in your avatar . I had a 63 when I was in Germany, same color. Had a sunroof though.

meshwheel
03/02/2013, 09:08 PM
tmz,
Thank you! I built the engine and trans myself. 200 hp and alot of fun to drive. It really surprises the mustang/ subaru guys!
I agree it's still evolving tmz. I have yet to burn money and grant myself a guinie pig for the led r&d!
I however feel it's getting close to working, and working well. Seems they have got the spectrums dialed in pretty good now.
It's all moving to fast for me......................................LOL

tmz
03/02/2013, 10:28 PM
Yeah a buddy of mine in Berlin had one with a porsche engine in it ; surpised a lot of folks too.
Oh , I think leds are evolving and may be ok now. I really meant my opinion is evolving. I'm doing very well with the halides and vho;so I'll be slow to change.

meshwheel
03/02/2013, 10:55 PM
Tom,
I like the reefbreeders fixture! They have a thread in the lighting/equipment forum. A nice unit, 120 watt with all the colors for 179.00 shipping. Fully adjustable too. You could use it for a year and then throw it on the trash after that if it's not working.
It goes against every grain in my body.............IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT IS!!!! LOL..............................
But guys are using them and showing good results! 2 year warrantee as well. Also, the Maxspect Razor showing great results too! But thats 500 clams!!!

bertoni
03/03/2013, 12:09 PM
I've never used T5s. Just MH and PC.