PDA

View Full Version : Which skimmer should I get? ASM G3 or Aquac ev 180?

Aperture.pcs
03/01/2013, 10:31 PM
Hey guys,
So here's the dealio. I will have a 155 bowfront tank. The skimmers that I am looking at are the ASM G3 and the Aquac EV 180. Both are used.
The ASM G3:
Several (?) years old and has been setting there for awhile
Comes with pump (Model: KSP-9000
Comes with RO unit as a bonus
$100 total
AquaC EV 180:
Couple of months old
Does NOT come with pump
Comes with external collection cup as a bonus
$100 total
Which one should I get?

Denbf58
03/02/2013, 07:49 AM
working with pump and a R.O. unit vs. newer with no pump i would go with the one that works. do have a extra $100.00 to buy a pump

pugmommie
03/02/2013, 05:13 PM
I have an Aquac ev180 and it works great. I have a mag 9.5 pump on it. Just depends if you want to spend money on a pump for it.

Misled
03/02/2013, 05:26 PM
I'd go with the G3, but I know that skimmer. The RO will most likely need filters if it's been sitting. IMO, you need a RO, (add a DI), as much as a skimmer. The pump needs to be run to check it. The impeller may have gotten stiff or swollen.

michaelmikol
03/02/2013, 05:34 PM
ASM no headaches,and do the job they are rated for .very tough,and well made

likefish
03/02/2013, 05:55 PM
I run an ASM G3 and had to replace a pump. i bought mine used also. I am very pleased with it.

As far as the RO system please learn from my experiance..... BUY NEW! Unless you are buying from a very reliable source or can get it dirt cheap just spend the extra money up fron tand buuy new. Replacement filters/resin/carbon/RO membreanes add up! And if you do not know where you are getting it you have to take their word for how much water has gone through it. Also considr spending the extra money for an inline TDS meter so you know when you need to replace filters! It is easier to spend this money than fight the nusance algae that results form using bad water.

PLEASE learn from my experiance! I have spent way more than the price of a new RO/DI unit pieceing togeathr used units and replacing filter!

The pain of junk equpment lasts far longer that the joy of a "good deal"

best of luck to ya!

Aperture.pcs
03/02/2013, 10:33 PM
Sorry the unit is ro/di