PDA

View Full Version : how to transport bluering?

Mangodude
03/01/2013, 09:48 PM
anybody got any ideas? not sure if i should just leave him in the bag i'll get him in for the 5 hour trip or transfer containers..

AlexS95
03/01/2013, 11:35 PM
Just have them put him in a big enough bag, preferably with something to hide in like a PVC pipe. That way he won't be stressed out.

FTDelta
03/02/2013, 09:10 AM
Wait!? You have the dreaded blue-ring octopus? You are a brave man...

Mangodude
03/02/2013, 09:49 AM
Wait!? You have the dreaded blue-ring octopus? You are a brave man...

Well, not me. I'm not that brave. But I'm picking one up for a friend and meeting him. So i'm not real sure just how involved with it I want to get..

I'm thinking if I request that the store put him in an extra large bag he should be okay

FTDelta
03/03/2013, 07:34 PM
Suggestion, drop it off to him and then scram.... Let him figure it out on his own. LOL!

Caronte
03/03/2013, 09:02 PM
Did anybody knows is there any legal restrictions for having, or selling a Blue Ringed?

jimmy frag
03/05/2013, 12:06 AM
Did anybody knows is there any legal restrictions for having, or selling a Blue Ringed?

yes there are legal restrictions for any poisonous fish ect.. in some manicipalities

Mangodude
03/14/2013, 09:48 PM
Its legal, but they make me sign a waiver

SushiGirl
03/14/2013, 11:58 PM
Make sure they at least double-bag it too. Beaks are sharp.

Ptyochromis
03/28/2013, 12:44 AM
Make sure they at least double-bag it too. Beaks are sharp.

Request they use all the bags + boxes.

Chad Vossen
04/03/2013, 09:45 AM
Aren't all octopus potentially venomous? ;)

I think the blue ring is relatively harmless. Yes, it can kill you. However they are not going to seek you out and attack. When I had my common octopus, I did not let it climb on me. Sometimes would allow an arm to touch me, but would pull away when he would get greedy. (wouldn't do this with a blue ring...)

I've kept deadly tarantulas, and venomous snakes. Special cages with compartments make it much safer when cleaning. These are animals we keep to look at, not handle. come in contact with as little as possible.

In I'm not advocating everyone go buy a blue ring, I just don't think the hype they get for being so dangerous is well deserved.

Ptyochromis
04/07/2013, 03:51 AM
Harmless as far as temperament?

IME the dangerous animals are those that are easily frightened. If my amazon tree boa had venom I would be long dead.

reefsandrotts
04/07/2013, 03:36 PM
Harmless until it gets out of the tank and someone steps on it.....
Best left in the ocean

Aren't all octopus potentially venomous? ;)

I think the blue ring is relatively harmless. Yes, it can kill you. However they are not going to seek you out and attack. When I had my common octopus, I did not let it climb on me. Sometimes would allow an arm to touch me, but would pull away when he would get greedy. (wouldn't do this with a blue ring...)

I've kept deadly tarantulas, and venomous snakes. Special cages with compartments make it much safer when cleaning. These are animals we keep to look at, not handle. come in contact with as little as possible.

In I'm not advocating everyone go buy a blue ring, I just don't think the hype they get for being so dangerous is well deserved.

Gonodactylus
04/16/2013, 11:52 AM
It is not a good idea to place a piece of pvc in a bag when transporting a small octopus such as a blue-ring. They usually won't go into the pipe and can be damaged when it sloshes around. Also be sure an blow the bag up tight (unless you are changing altitude). Small octopus like to crawl into the corner of the bag and if the bag is flacid, they can be crushed when you move the bag.

Also, be careful if it dies in transit and avoid contact with the water. TTX can be released into the water when it dies and I know a couple of people, including myself, who have gotten mild TTX poisoning from exposing bare skin to the water.

Roy

Fretfreak13
04/16/2013, 05:10 PM
I would bag him three times, then place those bags in a five gallon bucket. I work at a LFS and this is how we have to move some of our more temperamental Clown Triggers...lol

Just to be on the safe side.

Dmorty217
04/16/2013, 06:16 PM
[QUOTE=Ptyochromis;21371979]Harmless as far as temperament?

IME the dangerous animals are those that are easily frightened. If my amazon tree boa had venom I would be long I can't think those teeth feel great latching onto your skin!!

Ptyochromis
04/18/2013, 01:15 AM
[QUOTE=Ptyochromis;21371979]Harmless as far as temperament?

IME the dangerous animals are those that are easily frightened. If my amazon tree boa had venom I would be long I can't think those teeth feel great latching onto your skin!!

It could be worse, at least they are defensive strikes and not predatory. Those long teeth do sometimes snag on your skin lol. Nothing tops when I was bit caring for a friends emerald tree boa.

Larz_1
04/21/2013, 10:09 PM
When I had my 8ft boa constrictor, she got me on the hand once ... my mistake, I was removing a rat she did not seem interested in. I screamed like a little girl and my buddy laughed his *** off. :lolspin:

But, a Blue ring oct. .... no thanks.

Good luck with the transfer.

marlin85
04/25/2013, 06:38 PM
Best way to transport or ship octo's is to put them in a critter cage, preferably they are already in it for a day in their holding tank and then you bag the critter cage with the octo inside.

Maivortex
04/26/2013, 10:48 PM
carefully

Calappidae
10/12/2013, 10:59 PM
5 Easy steps on how to transport a blue ring:

1. Don't get bitten
2. Don't get bitten
3. Don't get bitten
4. Don't get bitten
and 5. don't die your too young. :)

gianniz
10/13/2013, 04:10 AM
I tranferred mine from the ocean to my tank using a small 1 litre bucket. Took me 1 hour.
The bucket was clear so I can see the movement, my blue ring didn't move around much while I was driving, when it did and managed touch air, it retracted it's tenticles straight away.
Also my type of blue ring is very slow moving and timid.
My suggestion, tell them to bag it with oxygen and put it in a foam box with lid.

Wilrok
12/06/2013, 07:41 PM
Put In 5 gallon bucket with a PVC piece to hide in and cover !

Fr0zEn4244
12/10/2013, 06:09 AM
I tranferred mine from the ocean to my tank using a small 1 litre bucket.

Why does that sound very illegal?

syrinx
12/10/2013, 12:29 PM

Because you live in Ohio. For him it is like going to the creek and bringing home a crayfish.

Fr0zEn4244
12/10/2013, 12:52 PM
I was looking into collection diving and I know you can't take a whole lot of anything. Good luck with the transport btw.

biecacka
12/11/2013, 01:26 PM

:spin3::spin3::smokin::hmm3:
That's exactly what I was thinking!! But I noticed it doesn't say where he/she lives at

Corey