PDA

View Full Version : New Site, New Products

GenesisReefSys
03/02/2013, 11:09 AM
If you haven't visited our site lately you might want to take a look. We've added some great new accessories for our RENEW™ Automatic Water Change Systems and STORM™ Specialized Top Off & Replenishment Modules, such as an exceptionally reliable siphon break that will prevent forward and back siphons in tubing and PVC pipe. This kit is especially useful for those of you who want to add an automatic top off system but have limited space, because now you'll be able to mount your top off bin above your sump without risking a forward siphon. Some of the most challenging installations are made simple with our great, inexpensive siphon break device.

We'll continue to add new products in the coming weeks and months, so be sure to check back often!

NH Fish
03/02/2013, 09:02 PM
That siphon beak is just whit i needed Thanks.

Sonicboom
06/11/2013, 02:47 PM
is there a salinity sensor which will either top off or not top off based on salinity? a sort of check for the water level. these new DC speed controllable return pumps are making it a pain to top off since when the speed is increased on the return pump, the water level drops in the sump, causing the ato to start filling.

bnumair
06/11/2013, 05:42 PM
there is no salinity sensor or probe on Genesis. it only works off float valves. thus if ur dc skimmer starts to pull more water ATO (storm ) will kick in and fill ur sump and when dc skimmer reduces u will have extra water in sump.

Sonicboom
06/11/2013, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the info

GenesisReefSys
06/12/2013, 08:25 AM
Hi Sonicboom,

That's an interesting question and I think you're on the right track as far as implementing a salinity switch. Another method I might suggest considering, and it is absolutely by no means a perfect solution, is temporarily running your DC return pump at its highest setting and establishing the lowest "normal" running sump level. This is where you could install your ATO's float switch, and then anytime the water level dropped below this it would kick in. The obvious drawback is that unless your return pump runs at that speed often when in variable speed mode, your salinity could fluctuate a bit. And that leads us right back to your initial solution - a salinity switch!

Salinity switches are available, but I believe the reasonably priced ones (let's call that $300 or less) are going to have quite a large tolerance range and may not be terribly reliable. I haven't researched them too much so there may be exceptions out there, but my point is that a salinity switch might be no more accurate than the simple method detailed above - unless you're willing to spend a small fortune to find one that is very precise and extremely reliable.

Another more difficult method would be constructing a baffled return pump chamber in your sump. You'd essentially have two sections in your return pump chamber: one where the water level will fluctuate quickly with the speed of your return pump, and one where the water level will fluctuate more slowly. This could be accomplished by drilling holes near the bottom of the wall separating the two sections. They would need to be big enough to accommodate your pump's median flow rate, but small enough to restrict the flow into the second section - thereby reducing the water level fluctuation in the first section. Unfortunately it would also increase the fluctuation in the second section, so the second section would need to be large enough to keep the pump inlet submerged even when running at high speed. It would require some tuning of the hole sizes for sure! (maybe use a gate valve or ball valve between the two sections???)

Keep us all updated and let us know if you find something that works well for you!

Sonicboom
06/12/2013, 08:36 AM
Genesis thank you for taking the time to respond in such detail. I spoke with Neptune sys and they stated that using a breakout box, lab grade salinity probe (79.00) and float switch, I would be able to set statements saying if float is open and salinity = > 30 do nothing. Again that would depend on the accuracy of the probe as you stated.

I Really like the modern look of the Genesis system. Perhaps this can be something for a next release?

GenesisReefSys
06/12/2013, 09:14 AM
Hi Sonicboom,

Thanks for the update and feedback! The breakout box and probe solution looks like a good option for Apex owners.

Quickly - I'm pretty sure that the logic statement there wasn't quite accurate. I think it should be "if (float switch = open) and (salinity is equal to or less than x) then do nothing" since the salinity will increase as water evaporates.

Let us know how it works out!

Sonicboom
06/12/2013, 09:30 AM
Haha, yes my logic statement was done from my phone while waiting for coffee to brew. yours is spot on.