PDA

View Full Version : Restricting pump intake on Sicce Syncra

penfold2
03/02/2013, 05:53 PM
I recently got a Syncra 3.0 for my return pump and I love it. These pumps come with a built in flow regulator, but it seems to work by restricting the intake. Pretty much everything I've read says that you should never do this due to possible cavitation damage, but Sicce says it's ok with their design.

Is restricting the pump intake acceptable under specific conditions, or is it always better to use a valve on the output?

Does anyone else use the flow regulator on their Syncra?

James77
03/02/2013, 06:06 PM
I would use a valve on the output before the flow restrictor on the inlet. But, they put them there to be used....

penfold2
03/02/2013, 07:29 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel about it too. But it's got me thinking about cavitation now. Is this something that occurs to some degree any time you restrict the intake, or is it something that only occurs under specific conditions, and we simply avoid any risk by never restricting the intake?

James77
03/02/2013, 08:55 PM
It would occur when you restrict the intake, but I have never experienced it with any adjustable intake pumps. I have seen cavitation twice from all my pump usage. Once was with a mag 18 on a closed loop that had a good 5 feet of 3/4" tubing to it, and the other on an external Poseidon PS2 or PS1( I forget :o) that had a sharp elbow right before the intake.

You would see signs of cavitation if it were happening like excess noise and air bubbles..are you?

penfold2
03/02/2013, 09:17 PM
I haven't tried turning it down yet, but I'll probably go ahead and do so. If it's a part of their design then it should be safe. I'll keep watch for any bubbles or noise like you mentioned.

Thanks.

James77
03/02/2013, 09:32 PM
No worries....

You won't have any issues with it :)

cap032
03/02/2013, 09:48 PM
I haven't tried turning it down yet, but I'll probably go ahead and do so. If it's a part of their design then it should be safe. I'll keep watch for any bubbles or noise like you mentioned.

Thanks.

I have the same pump and run it restricted with the regulator. I would assume its fine as it still runs silent........ nearly dead silent.

penfold2
03/02/2013, 09:54 PM
I have the same pump and run it restricted with the regulator. I would assume its fine as it still runs silent........ nearly dead silent.

I'm glad to hear it stays quiet when restricted. I really like how quiet it is right now. I'll try turning it down tomorrow.