PDA

View Full Version : A question for Anthias keepers re compatability

sn00p123
03/03/2013, 10:22 AM
Hi All,

Id like to apologize in advance if this topic has been covered many times before, i did find a few threads with a lot of useful information... but am still in doubt.

What I have: a 500g FOWLR with some soft corals that has been running for a year and a half. Started off with some of the hardier fish ie: damsels and dottybacks. After a year and a half this is my current stocklist: 6 chromis, 1 bicolor angel, 1 flame angel, 2 firefish, 1 long horned cowfish, 2 blue damsels, 2 four stripe damsels, 2 yellow tangs, 2 regal tangs, 2 oscellaris, 1 six line wrasse, 2 magenta dottybacks = 26 fish in all (all within 3 incs) Now all these fish seem to be getting along quite well but for the occasional squabble.. for the most part there seems to be enough space to keep them all happy. However I am noticing that my four stripe damsel is getting more and more territorial these days and the damsels get aggressive and chase each other once in a while.

Now where I live anthias are rare. For the first time i managed to get hold of 10 lyretail anthias ~2inch long and have them in QT. They are happy and eating just about anything i give them (rotifers, mysis, brine, flakes, nls, etc). Ive always loved this fish but never had the opportunity to get them until now. Now that i have them i am terrified of having them slaughtered in the DT... in your experience do you think the damsels / dottybacks pose a serious threat? would the grouping of the anthias deter bullying?

I really do not want these lovely creatures to die. At the same time catching a fish once in my DT is a project itself. What do you guys think?

Many thanks

o2manyfish
03/03/2013, 12:46 PM
Your stock list has huge future potential. I have a 400g tank with 120+ fish. I have over 20 different damsels. And a dozen anthias.

I think in the future the 4 stripe damsels can cause lots of issues with smaller more delicate fish. I have blue damsels in my tank, and with lots of rock and lots of fish they don't cause any issues.

But each tank is different. I don't think you should have any issues with adding the anthias at this time.

Dave B

sn00p123
03/05/2013, 12:48 PM
Thanks o2, have you had any experience with dottybacks in your tank? did they pick on anthias by any chance.

Would love to get to your stocking levels... one day!

ilikefish34
03/05/2013, 09:31 PM
I know the question was for o2... but i've seen where a neon dottyback shredded a male square anthias... but that was in a 55 gal. the magenta (known around here as strawberry, or more appropriately, purple) dottyback is, IME, less aggressive than the neon. either way, in a 500g should be just fine.

I would remove the 4 stripes. they become quite bullish and I would be especially concerned with them and the cowfish (regardless of fish size) over time since he has the potential to release his toxins in your aquarium.

good luck with everything.

sanchoy
03/05/2013, 09:54 PM
dottybacks are nortorious killers. What you have going for you is a big size tank. My brother had one dottyback in his 180 gallon that killed over $500 worth of fish. Anthias,Damsel,Gobies,Clowns,Tangs,Triggers, this dotty back went out to kill them with a vengeance. He was a big fish as well, so when it bit the other fish it took out huge chunks.

Mean little bugger. My brother caught it finally and killed it after it wiped out most of his fish.