PDA

View Full Version : maxspect Razor vs Sunbrite F series

mess7777
03/03/2013, 04:54 PM
Hopefully some of the gurus can weigh in on this one. For the purpose of this discussion I am considering these 2 lights as a potential upgrade. Spec-wise they seem fairly similar, with some key differences between the two. I will list out the pros and cons with specs here and maybe some of you can weight in to help me make up my mind. I have a 90g (48x18x24) and want to be able to put SPS where I want. :)

Maxspect Razor - 2 x 120w fixtures - 240 watt total

Specs : cree : XT-E cool white(8), XT-E warm white(4), XP-E blue(6), XT-E royal blue(4)
epileds : super actinic(4)

Pros : - much better information and documentation
-wider distribution perhaps better service
-released more recently

Cons : - can't program other than manually, with 2 fixtures have to do everything x2

Sunbrite F Series - only have exact specs on V1, although V2 seems to have same LEDs with optics and reflectors to increase penetration

48" fixture - 240 watt total
20x5w Cree XPG Cool White
12x3watt XPE Blue
24x3watt XPE Royal Blue
4x3w XPE green
4x3w Osram Oslon Red
8x1w AOT 390nm UV

Pros : - full wifi integration with total control over lighting through smartphone app
- 1 fixture over the tank

Cons : - lack of reviews and users on the web posting their experince
- documentation for new V2 version is not very thorough compared with larger companies such as Maxspect or Ecotech

Pricing in my case is :
$449+tax for each Maxspect
$999+tax for V2 sunbrite
$850+tax for V1 sunbrite...only a couple left and they are gone for good

Hopefully some of you have taken the time to go through this and can provide some opinions/experience. If not for the lack of info....the Sunbrite looks to be a clear winner....but that might prove to be a big deal.

Thanks.

matty0206
03/03/2013, 05:09 PM
I just switched to LED's and went through the same thing. I researched till it was all a blur and ended up with the Maxspect 160w 27". I can honestly say it is the best light I have ever had for quality, looks, and color.
I looked at the controls and came to the conclusion that for me having total control to make changes didn't matter as much as I thought it would. I think people tend to mess with things like lights and Vortech's a bunch when they first get them then they find the setting they like and leave it forever, at least I do. The Maxspect controls are simple and very easy to use. I might also add that my tank is open top and in our dining room so I needed a very sleek fixture.
I can't speak on the Sunbrite as I have never used or even seen one but I know I am happy with the Maxspect for price, quality, and looks.

mess7777
03/03/2013, 05:51 PM
I just switched to LED's and went through the same thing. I researched till it was all a blur and ended up with the Maxspect 160w 27". I can honestly say it is the best light I have ever had for quality, looks, and color.
I looked at the controls and came to the conclusion that for me having total control to make changes didn't matter as much as I thought it would. I think people tend to mess with things like lights and Vortech's a bunch when they first get them then they find the setting they like and leave it forever, at least I do. The Maxspect controls are simple and very easy to use. I might also add that my tank is open top and in our dining room so I needed a very sleek fixture.
I can't speak on the Sunbrite as I have never used or even seen one but I know I am happy with the Maxspect for price, quality, and looks.

Thanks matty, I agree that looking nice is an aspect important to me as well. I feel both of these are nice think looking fixtures...so that part is a toss up. I actually would be going for the Reef Breeders lights if I had a hood....but I don't have one and those boxes just don't cut it for the room it is in. Appreciate your feedback! In case you wanted to take a peek here is the link.
http://www.sunbritelighting.com/
This pretty much sums up my issue with it...it is hardly known on these forums in spite of being around a year now!

meshwheel
03/03/2013, 06:31 PM
mess7777,
I have heard nothing but good about the Maxspect Razor. It's got it all! Good looks, lots of blue in the correct range and a built in controller! I love the three spaced out pucks of led's too. Thats a great fixture!
Let us know what you do.

mess7777
03/04/2013, 07:54 AM
anyone?

niteshado
03/04/2013, 01:17 PM
Hi: I have the 60" V1 sunbrite F series over a 120 custom build 60" long tank that is 24" deep. I am getting good growth on all my corals SPS/LPS. I do use the controller to set up a nice dawn to dusk feature an run it as my moon lights at night. Only ran T5 before this. LED does decrease the energy costs.

Larry

mess7777
03/04/2013, 01:21 PM
Hi: I have the 60" V1 sunbrite F series over a 120 custom build 60" long tank that is 24" deep. I am getting good growth on all my corals SPS/LPS. I do use the controller to set up a nice dawn to dusk feature an run it as my moon lights at night. Only ran T5 before this. LED does decrease the energy costs.

Larry

Thanks for the info! Do you have any pictures? How many T5s were you running before? Energy costs aside which do you prefer betwen LED and T5? I am happy to hear from someone who has the Sunbrite...not many of you speak up around here!

tanktime
03/05/2013, 12:55 PM
I have the Sunbrite F series 48" (V1) over a 120 gallon (4x2) running for about 8 months now. Mostly LPS and Softies, several SPS. I only get to about 20% on the whites, 75% blue, purple and UV, and about 15-20% on the red/green during max ramp up of the day. It took a few months to get to that point and I am getting some fast growth. The light is built very well and is an awesome value compared to everything I have looked at. I do like the software far better on the Ecotech lights but could not justify another $400 for that. Can't comment on the Maxspect but hear they are good. I will do another Sunbrite when I move to the 180 next year (if that tells you anything). I will try and get some pics up in the next week or two. I am in Florida and do not need a chiller anymore which saves $$$.

mess7777
03/05/2013, 12:58 PM
wow that is not using a lot of light, especially on the white end. That is encouraging for the ability of the fixture of V1, let alone V2. Thanks a lot for the feedback, great to hear.

tanktime
03/05/2013, 01:06 PM
wow that is not using a lot of light, especially on the white end. That is encouraging for the ability of the fixture of V1, let alone V2. Thanks a lot for the feedback, great to hear.

5w white Cree's are amazing. A lot of folks tend to burn their corals when they first go LED and I took no chances. Bring them up slowly, I started low and increased 1% per week on white and about 3% on blues. A little low light is far better than torching them.

Lofty
04/22/2013, 08:57 PM
I'm Considering the Sunbright 48" V2, So I will be tagging along, seems like a great value and I have researched the Maxpect Razor and Ecotec Radions to death...