PDA

View Full Version : Banggais at ~45-60 days

rlpardue
03/04/2013, 09:58 AM
Hi everyone, I'm attaching some pictures of a batch of Banggai cardinals that I've been raising. Further down this entry will be a few questions for the more-experienced breeders. Here are some brief notes summarizing my experience so far:
-This is the first batch of Banggai fry I've raised. The male carried them for 25 days before spitting.
-They are plumbed into my main SPS display tank, utilizing the skimmer and water stability. I regret this now, since I've seen a decline in overall SPS polyp extension and water quality since adding the Banggai tank into the system.
-I started with a batch of 30 babies. I gave away 16, and now I have 12 (I believe). So a couple died along the way.
-The fish are now about the size of a US$ quarter.
-I've recently begun to notice aggression for the first time. They are in a fairly spacious 10g plastic container from Wal-Mart.
-I've been feeding baby brine shrimp, occasionally enriching with Selcon or "Roti-Grow Plus", a frozen phyto-based feed.
-Yesterday I saw them eating mysis for the first time. I've been adding some mysis regularly; it's possible they've been eating it for awhile now.

Questions:
1-At what age/size should I separate them to keep them from killing each other?
2-Would it be feasible to pair them off at this point in their development? I think selling bonded pairs to my local fellow hobbyists would add to their value.
3-Does anyone have experience in mass-pairing large groups of Banggais? Any tips here?

edandsandy
03/05/2013, 07:55 AM
Questions:
1-At what age/size should I separate them to keep them from killing each other?

If youre seeing aggression now... You need to seperate them NOW... the stronger male WILL eventually kill the smaller/weaker males.

2-Would it be feasible to pair them off at this point in their development? I think selling bonded pairs to my local fellow hobbyists would add to their value.

Yes, you can.. however this is called in-breading...

3-Does anyone have experience in mass-pairing large groups of Banggais? Any tips here?

I have 5 mated pairs, but they are in individual systems