PDA

View Full Version : Graduated In Tank Size

ZacK89
03/04/2013, 10:26 AM
Hello all, I have just started setting up my new 210 gallon tank with a 50 gallon sump, and have a couple questions. Firstly, I have purchased 160# of dry sand and 100# of base rock. My currently established 50 gallon has the other 80# of live sand and 50# of live rock I will be using. My question here is, can I move my sand and rock from the 50 into my 210 without rinsing the rock and sand? I will also be doing a hypo treatment on my fish in the meantime so no worries as far as they go. I am doing a hypo treatment because I lost my pacific blue to ich a few weeks ago. Everyone else looks fine, but a 5 week treatment would make me feel better. Thanks in advance and let me know if you need more info, or if you think I'm doing something wrong, I'm still a noob here.

thegrun
03/04/2013, 10:47 AM
I would swish the live rock you transfer over from your 50 gallon tank in saltwater to remove as much detritus as possible. As to the sand, you are either going to need to do extensive cleaning/rinsing if you plan on reusing it. Old sand traps detritus and absorbs phosphates and nitrates. I would use 100% new sand and simply seed it with a couple of cups of sand from your 50 gallon tank.

Cymonous
03/04/2013, 11:11 AM
That Ich will stay alive in your current tank for 8-9 weeks. If you don't get that tank fishless for 8-9 weeks and transfer any of the rock and sand to the new tank, you will probably be transferring Ich to the new tank.

Edit: Treatment on your fish for 5 weeks for Ich may not be enough either.