PDA

View Full Version : RODI waste water

forextrader
03/04/2013, 11:24 AM
I currently use my RODI waste water for watering the garden. Has anybody tried a PLANTED freshwater aquarium with the waste water?

Michigan Mike
03/04/2013, 11:32 AM
How good/bad is your source water?
It can be used , but is it better to use it over tap water...it depends.
If you have clean tap water & a sanitary RO/DI with new filters I say yes but your RO/DI should be flushed, sanitized, & hoses changed (especially the waste water hose) regularly.

My BRS value plus 75gpd is 4:1 (it wastes 4 gallons to make 1 gallon)
So my waste water will contain 5 gallons worth of my tap's TDS in 4 gallons of waste water, make sense? But it has gone through the sediment & carbon block so it is de-chlorinated & tastes better.
I have a splitter & valve on a separate line before the DI stage so I can make RO drinking water.
I use the RO for most my drinking water & baby formula etc.
I use the waste water for making coffee with, watering plants, laundry, freshwater/planted tanks etc.

Basman346
03/04/2013, 02:22 PM
My tap water TDS is 380

Waste water coming out of RODI is 470

I'm using the Spectrapure CSPDI 90

SloppyWhenWet
03/04/2013, 04:33 PM
How good/bad is your source water?
It can be used , but is it better to use it over tap water...it depends.
If you have clean tap water & a sanitary RO/DI with new filters I say yes but your RO/DI should be flushed, sanitized, & hoses changed (especially the waste water hose) regularly.

My BRS value plus 75gpd is 4:1 (it wastes 4 gallons to make 1 gallon)
So my waste water will contain 5 gallons worth of my tap's TDS in 4 gallons of waste water, make sense? But it has gone through the sediment & carbon block so it is de-chlorinated & tastes better.
I have a splitter & valve on a separate line before the DI stage so I can make RO drinking water.
I use the RO for most my drinking water & baby formula etc.
I use the waste water for making coffee with, watering plants, laundry, freshwater/planted tanks etc.
Great effort to make use of everything. Never thought of using waste side for anything.

mchud
03/04/2013, 04:48 PM
My waste water goes to my koi pond in the summer and during the winter it goes to a 500 gallon tank in the basement for the goldfish I bring in. Been doing it for years and have never had any issues.

forextrader
03/05/2013, 11:34 AM
Excellent news! I will add "freshwater aquarium water changes" to the list of RODI waste water uses. Will hard water freshwater fish and plants do better with RODI waste water?

Michigan Mike
03/05/2013, 05:42 PM
Excellent news! I will add "freshwater aquarium water changes" to the list of RODI waste water uses. Will hard water freshwater fish and plants do better with RODI waste water?

Check the PH for yourself & see if its in the range of acceptability.
My African cichlids do all right in 7.6ph, I don't bother with buffering salts. I would if it was lower than that.