PDA

View Full Version : how can you stop mushrooms from taking over your tank?

terirass
03/04/2013, 06:01 PM
We bought some green mushrooms, which we were told were not "too aggressive" and would spread very slowly. Well, it has been relatively slow but they are spreading all over and monopolizing our tank. Any ideas on how to stop/slow their spread, and or how to get rid of them once they are everywhere? When I remove some, they just grow back... :-(

jpa0741
03/04/2013, 06:04 PM
Research kalk paste

Sent from my SCH-R530M using Tapatalk 2

sporto0
03/04/2013, 06:34 PM
Place rubble around them, when they spread to the smaller pieces you can return them to your LFS or just remove them, research all corals before you purchase them, the best way to keep Zoa's & mushrooms is to isolate them before they begin their march, that way you can keep tabs on their progress. I have used epoxy compound to cover them, this works relatively well 80-90% success rate, some always survive though.

terirass
03/04/2013, 06:50 PM
thanks for the tips. There is so much to learn in this hobby!

dthorn
03/04/2013, 07:21 PM
Mushrooms are like a plague. Everywhere in my tank. I have found the more you try to get rid of them the more new ones pop up. But I've also found that if you get them when they're small you can usually rip them off with some hemostats or tweezers. Beware though, any little piece that floats away will be another shroom you'll be picking off later and it's a never ending battle. I am upgrading and will definitely be leaving the shrooms behind. You may want to consider trying to get rid of them now while you may still have a chance. Not sure what I'm going to do with the mushroom tank when the new one is complete. Good luck!

ryeguyy84
03/04/2013, 08:04 PM
I bought a frag of green mushrooms like a year ago. It started as 2 or 3 now they are every where. I tried to bury one in sand but it always pushes through.

Sk8r
03/04/2013, 08:12 PM
Luring them onto rubble is the best way if you've got them onto your structural rock. Get some nice rubble pieces and literally pile it into the middle of them. In a few days they'll have crawled up onto the rubble and you can now trade them back to your lfs. You're running a healthy tank if they're that prolific, so be glad. And novices are often happy to buy them. A few more posts of a sensible nature and you should have your 50 posts and 90 days of membership here. Then you'll be able to see the 'sales' forum and market them yourselves, if you can figure out shipping.

terirass
03/04/2013, 09:28 PM
thanks for all your comments. Sporto0, you said "I have used epoxy compound to cover them, this works relatively well 80-90% success rate". Do you mean you just goop the expoxy compound on them? I'm guessing after they've been trimmed way back, if that is the case?
thx

squishifishi
03/04/2013, 10:18 PM
you know, im glad to hear that mushrooms are going to take over my tank. that's exactly what i was hoping for hehe!
i've got a pico and i'm only doing mushrooms in terms of coral because they're the cheapest and now i hear they're impossible to kill.
good for me, i don't want em to die!
sad for you... good luck!
anyway, i think a tank of rocks completely carpeted with colourful shrooms will be gorgeous so long as there aren't other corals for them to overrun.
here's a solution... rip them all out, send them to me, and repeat as they regrow. :)
lol good luck

sporto0
03/05/2013, 05:37 PM
thanks for all your comments. Sporto0, you said "I have used epoxy compound to cover them, this works relatively well 80-90% success rate". Do you mean you just goop the expoxy compound on them? I'm guessing after they've been trimmed way back, if that is the case?
thx

Yes, I cover them with the same epoxy/putty that I use to secure frags to rocks or bases, I don't trim the mushrooms but I have been at this for quite some time & I know when to apply this proceedure before it's out of hand. 80-90% of the mushrooms covered go away, so 1 0r 2 out of 10 survive, they are sneaky.