PDA

View Full Version : help me stock (fish) for my new prop tank

glennr1978
03/04/2013, 09:17 PM
I've just about completed building my new prop system. The tank measures 72"x40"x12", right at 150g's. I'm really only interested in fish that will be beneficial like tangs and wrasses. Also, I would like to stock the tank on the heavy side. I've always had the best luck with a lot of fish, heavy feeding, and too much filtration, lol.

The tank will be bb, can a yellow coris wasse be kept without a sand bed?

CUZ
03/04/2013, 09:33 PM
I keep a small yellow tang, yellow wrasse and a lawnmower blenny..(barebottom)

moatdaddy
03/04/2013, 09:33 PM
Halichoeres species of wrasse is what I recommend. My biggest problem was controlling hair algae on the frag racks. I kept four of these in my frag tanks, two per and they were great at control and fun to watch top down. Also no sand but you could tell that stressed them. Didn't kill mine though. Show us a picture of your build please.

oceanarium
03/05/2013, 06:25 PM
I prefer to stay away from wrasse unless you have an issue with FW they don't add anything of benefit just eat all the good things like pods mysids etc.

Apart from the mandatory tang / rabbit fish I have a mated pair of spawning clowns and PJ cardinals in the frag tanks they make good live coral feeds when the larva hatch.

I also put in heaps of glass shrimp these are actually quite good at algae control and clean up, but more importantly are quite prolific at creating highly nutritious larva. With plenty in the tank most nights just after lights out the tank is alive with newly hatched shrimps and the corals are loving it.