PDA

View Full Version : Clown issue?

Acidsniper
03/05/2013, 08:06 PM
I've had this clown for the past week, he's been eating great and swimming around fine. His buddy that I got at the same time is doing great. However in the last day he's started hanging out in the back of the tank by himself near the sand bed and doesn't really move his right fin at all when swimming. It looks like something took a bite at him.

Accimilated as I have all the fish I've had, slow drip with heater and an airstone hasn't shown any stress or problems until now.

Tank inhabitants are just 4 chromis and the 2 clowns in 100 gallons. Parameters are 0s across the board and salinity is 1.025 temp 78.

Thoughts?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/06/hudyhyda.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

Rain999
03/05/2013, 08:14 PM
I would wait until late at night after the lights have been off for a few hours and then check out the tank with a flashlight. My concern is that you may have a hitchhiker. I would add a little garlic to their food to help his immune system.

Acidsniper
03/05/2013, 08:49 PM
I would wait until late at night after the lights have been off for a few hours and then check out the tank with a flashlight. My concern is that you may have a hitchhiker. I would add a little garlic to their food to help his immune system.

Interesting... I only have a torch coral in the tank, no other corals, which I dipped in coralrx for the full treatment before moving it in and the tank itself was set up with dry rock. Didn't think it'd be likely to have hitchhikers.

cet98
03/05/2013, 08:53 PM
Where did you get your clowns? have you noticed if the other clown is smacking this one around? I dont know for certain of course but maybe you have two females?

Acidsniper
03/05/2013, 09:05 PM
Where did you get your clowns? have you noticed if the other clown is smacking this one around? I dont know for certain of course but maybe you have two females?

Got them from my lfs. They quarantine for at least 2 weeks prior to sale and they've had these 2 for almost 3. They were in a tank of apx 15 from the same brood. They're tank bred as well.

When they do swim together there's been no aggression that I've seen. There is a chromis that's a little bit of a bully in the tank and I'm thinking he may be the culprit.

Oh, forgot, I also have a small cleaner shrimp and a handful of snails and hermits if that makes a difference.

worm5406
03/05/2013, 11:32 PM
When I removed my chromis, when upgrading to my 180, everything in the tank became much more active. The clowns are really happy and like not having to defend their territory.

Acidsniper
03/06/2013, 12:22 PM
When I removed my chromis, when upgrading to my 180, everything in the tank became much more active. The clowns are really happy and like not having to defend their territory.

Interesting... Good info. I hadn't read much in my research on chromis about them being aggressive like this one is.

I'm wondering if I should just try to take them all out or just the one bully and see how things go after he is gone.

Thoughts?

cet98
03/06/2013, 01:06 PM
in the very least I would remove the bully and keep a close eye on everyone. unfortunately when a bully is removed there is typically a #2 waiting to take it's place :p

Acidsniper
03/06/2013, 02:13 PM
in the very least I would remove the bully and keep a close eye on everyone. unfortunately when a bully is removed there is typically a #2 waiting to take it's place :p

Good point. May just yank all these chromis out and get the pj cardinals the wife wants to replace them.

worm5406
03/06/2013, 04:38 PM
Yes... set up a fish trap, they are fast little bugers.

Acidsniper
03/06/2013, 08:34 PM
Yes... set up a fish trap, they are fast little bugers.

You're telling me lol. Spent about an hour chasing the buggers around the tank, taking down rock, etc. Going to borrow a fish trap from a local club member to make it easier.