PDA

View Full Version : My First Tank: Three Months

rpritch
03/05/2013, 10:02 PM
Well I must say, I am pretty happy with the results. My 14 gallon biocube gave me a few problems in the beginning, but as I novice, I can't complain about the results!

Fish: Ocellaris, Clown Goby, Firefish, Neon Goby.

Corals: Torch, Monticaps, GSP, Zoos, Hairy Mushroom, Blue Mushroom, Ricordeas, Candy Cane, Pulsating Xenias, Favia, Chalice, Acros

Inverts:222673 Stomatella Snails, Astrea Snails, Nassarius Snails, Blue Legged Hermits, Zebra Hermits, Short Spine Urchin, Feather Dusters

Set-up: 45watt LED retrofit from Steve's LEDs, 2 Koralia 240s, stock pump, media basket (with filter floss, Chemi Pure Elite, and Purigen), Red Sea Salt

texasbug
03/05/2013, 10:22 PM
Beautiful! Congrats on a successful 3 months!

dthorn
03/05/2013, 10:42 PM
Looks really good. My first couple months were crazy going way to fast, but constant research has got me by so far. Just over six months in and upgrading from a 27g to a 56g. Scary now that everything is growing! Slowing it down a lot now with my new tank hoping to avoid the stress of diving in head first. Wouldn't recommend going so fast to anyone, but some of us can't help it. If I had the patience to go slow I'm sure it would have at least saved me from a few nightmares about tank crashes. The upside to going fast... it forces you to learn fast if you don't want to fail. Cichlids for ten years and still don't know what I'm doing (have a thriving mixed cichlid 55g). With the reef tank it was spend every spare minute reading or watch everything die. I think if I started slow I wouldn't have taken it seriously and it would have ended badly like freshwater did in the beginning. I've learned so much in six months that friends with years of experience now ask me for advice. I know a little bit about a ton of stuff now I just need 5 or 10 years of actual experience to graduate from noob status. Success stories about people starting fast are pretty rare, hopefully it continues to go well for us. Happy reefing!

biggles
03/06/2013, 02:37 AM
Your reef is looking great at 3 months rpritch, keep doing what you're doing and it will only get better - well done :thumbsup: