PDA

View Full Version : Labout's picking on Lineatus Wrasse

gsiegel
03/05/2013, 10:02 PM
I have had the Labout's in the DT for about 10 days and just today added a Lineatus that is larger/fatter. The Labouti is constantly chasing the Lineatus which is fleeing and not holding its ground. They are supposed to be peaceful....

Aside from having to remove the Labout's (good luck catching him) any suggestions to making this a harmonious environment aside from having the 2of them attend fish therapy classes?

gsiegel
03/06/2013, 05:55 AM
Any advice please?

Mike S
03/06/2013, 06:02 AM
Try putting a mirror up against the glass. That may distract the labouts long enough for the lineatus to settle in. By any chance did you use an acclimation box when you introduced it?

gsiegel
03/06/2013, 07:35 AM
Try putting a mirror up against the glass. That may distract the labouts long enough for the lineatus to settle in. By any chance did you use an acclimation box when you introduced it?

I did not use an acclimation box. To late now? Try to catch the abuser to put him in at this point?

Mark Bianco
03/06/2013, 05:45 PM
Wrasse's are teritorial. It does not work for all fish, but sometimes if you re-arrange some or all of the rock they establish new teritories. and will keep to themselfs.

gsiegel
03/06/2013, 07:33 PM
How long does it take for fish to become territorial? - the labouti has been in for less than 2 weeks. I have a x-mas and exquisite wrasse (a bit smaller) that have been in longer and are totally fine with the new addition.

-----------------------------------------------------

I got a critter box (about 6 x 9) - (only $8 as opposed to MUCH more for an "Acclimation Box") and simply held it in the tank before feeding time. The fish are all well trained and swim right over, including the Labouti who is always the most excited to eat. He swam right into the box like a well trained dog going in its crate. WOO HOO!! As Staples says - "That was EASY"

Very soon thereafter the Lineatus is out and about swimming - even right by the box almost to say:lmao::lol:.

I will plan to keep the labouti in the time out box. I fed him about 8 small spectrum pellets as well. It was suggested to me to keep him in untl Friday and see what happens. I would hate to have to get rid of one (which would likely be the aggressor).

Any other suggestions, things to do differently, or advice out there?

Thanks!

albano
03/06/2013, 08:07 PM
The Labouti is constantly chasing the Lineatus which is fleeing and not holding its ground. They are supposed to be peaceful....

Says who ? Labouti can be very aggressive !
I have 30 wrasses but no Labouti in my tank...

gsiegel
03/06/2013, 08:46 PM
Got him from LA and the reading I did on this fish said he is peaceful. I also added him a little larger than the xmas and exquisite that were already in the tank. All was good. Then soon after added the Lineatus which is larger than the labouti and the labouti bullied him.

So ...as the labouti sits in time out is this a mix that will most likely not work? Ironically the lineatus is now out and about out of hiding and swimming right by the time out box. I am hoping the labouti gets used to his presense and they can coexist.

What other peaceful wrasses with great coloring do you recommend? Also is a later consideration of adding a Harlequin Tusk asking for
Trouble?

albano
03/06/2013, 10:55 PM
What other peaceful wrasses with great coloring do you recommend? Also is a later consideration of adding a Harlequin Tusk asking for
Trouble?
I think the Labouti is an accident waiting to happen...
I have 3 flames, 3 hooded, 4 red velvets & 2 8line flashers, among others, including an Aussey Harl. Tusk (that bothers no one)