PDA

View Full Version : Using Lime stone

reefme
03/05/2013, 11:49 PM
Has anyone used Lime stone rock for base rock? Here in Florida we have some nicely shaped limestone with shells in it.

EDJFA
03/06/2013, 04:38 PM
I'm sure you'll get other responses, but if the rocks have shells in them already, I would assume that at some point in it's history those rocks were underwater. The stuff you buy from Marcorocks or BRS that is sold as dry rock is rock that comes from a quarry. Those things lead me to believe you'd be OK.

A buddy of mine said when he set his tank up he went to the local landscaper and picked up some sandstone for $.10/lb. It hasn't had any negative effects on his tank or water quality. And I wouldn't have known if he hadn't pointed it out because it was all covered in corraline anyway.

specialk42
03/06/2013, 05:25 PM
Hi there. Wouldn't limestone dissolve over time in water and cause pH to change?

nogascans
03/06/2013, 06:34 PM
I'd be sure to check for any phosphates that might be bound in the rock before using.

I recall that during my first venture into SW back in 1976, when U/gravel filters were the rage, we used crushed Dolomitic Limestone as the bottom substrate. Don't remember any issues using it. Of course, back then, we also weren't testing for much more than salinity and temp, so go figure.

Sincerely,

David

coralsnaked
03/06/2013, 06:56 PM
+1 on the PO4

Sonyardo
03/06/2013, 07:23 PM
I've been using crushed marble as a substrate for several years without any issues. Limestone would be worth considering as a base rock, IMO.

reefme
03/06/2013, 09:48 PM
I'm going to try it. I'm not planning on introducing any animals to the tank for a while.

reefme
03/06/2013, 09:50 PM
This will be my 5th reef tank,I've set up in the last 30 plus years and I still know nothing about reef keeping!!!!!