PDA

View Full Version : Can I calculate how much pH will increase with kalk?

Whitebeam
03/06/2013, 04:42 PM
I've forgotten too much chemistry over the years!

If I put 1l of saturated kalk water into my 170l net volume tank over 24 hours I know how to calculate the resultant changes in alkalinity and calcium concentrations, but how do I calculate how much this will increase the pH by?

For some starting values, steady state pH is 8.2, alk is 10.9dKH just now.

Peter

disc1
03/06/2013, 06:02 PM
You can get a real good approximation. If it were a monoprotic buffer I could do it in my head but carbonate is diprotic so there's a little more math.

I think randy has it in one of his articles. If we can't find that I'll solve it when I get home.

tmz
03/06/2013, 07:55 PM
From my notes: per Randy Farley : enough to to boost dkh 1.4 = a pH boost of 0.6 to 0.7 units.That would be all at the same time . Of course over a long period s top off much of that pH effect will be offset by athmospheric CO2 equilibrating with the water or CO2 produced in the tank from biological activity.

disc1
03/06/2013, 11:21 PM
From my notes: per Randy Farley : enough to to boost dkh 1.4 = a pH boost of 0.6 to 0.7 units.That would be all at the same time . Of course over a long period s top off much of that pH effect will be offset by athmospheric CO2 equilibrating with the water or CO2 produced in the tank from biological activity.

I'm glad you remember. I don't cause I don't use kalk.

I know there is a way to do it with a formula. You take the formula for pH from pCO2 and alkalinity from this article ( http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/5/chemistry ) equation #2 and adjust the amount of CO2 and [H+] by the amount of hydroxide added.

Unfortunately for you, I had a visit from my soon to be father in law tonight and scotch and math don't go together so well. So I'll have to get back to you on it.