PDA

View Full Version : Penny and quarter in tank.

java
03/06/2013, 04:45 PM
Found a penny and a quarter in my tank.... I was cleaning the sand and there they were.

No idea how long they have been in there, at least a couple months I would guess. Any idea how much they would leech? I added a few snails the other day not thinking about it and they all died off. I was thinking about it trying to figure out why that would have happened and rememberd the penny.

I'm in the process of upgrading thanks and don't want to transfer the copper if there is any, should I run cuprasorb or similar? I don't have a copper test kit.

disc1
03/06/2013, 04:55 PM
The copper test wouldn't help. They're great for dosing copper meds but they don't read low enough to test for minimal toxic levels.

I would run cuprisorb or poly filter. The poly will turn blue and let you know it is pulling copper.

The other fear is zinc. New pennies are zinc with a very thin copper coating. The zinc can be just as bad though.

Were the coins showing signs of corrosion at all? If they were in there a month then they'll definitely cause problems.

java
03/06/2013, 05:00 PM
The penny was just very shiny, but as soon as I took it out and it sat in the air for a couple days it showed some tarnish. The quarter looked normal.

They must have been in there for quite a while, lots of stuff used to get set on top of the tank, I've kept it clean for quite a while now. They were right under the cracks in the hood where the hinge is.

bertoni
03/06/2013, 10:33 PM
If it's not too much trouble, I'd suggest running a PolyFilter and CupraSorb together. The PolyFilter might leach some copper back into the tank, although the amount likely is negligible.

Teddynola
03/06/2013, 11:40 PM
Any little ones making wishes in your tank? :)

java
03/07/2013, 06:38 AM
I just hope they were good wishes.

Do pennies leech much?

RA
03/07/2013, 07:19 AM
The pennies are copper plated over zinc, and the quarters have a nickel/copper layer on the outsides and copper in the center. Neither are good for your tank.

java
03/07/2013, 07:23 AM
Ordered some Cuprasorb, supposed remove heavy metals. will the copper and zinc get into the LR? I'm planning to switch tanks in about a week.

disc1
03/07/2013, 08:14 AM
Ordered some Cuprasorb, supposed remove heavy metals. will the copper and zinc get into the LR? I'm planning to switch tanks in about a week.

It can get into the rock. I'd keep the cuprisorb running for a while in case anything decides to leech back out.

java
03/07/2013, 11:01 AM
Ok, hopefully there isn't much.

bertoni
03/07/2013, 10:25 PM
I suspect you'll be fine, since the tank has been okay so far. I'd expect problems to occur quickly in most cases.

tmz
03/08/2013, 12:13 AM
I agree ;run cuprisorb and or polyfilter. The polyfilter may not turn blue at low levels. Some inverts are hamed by free metals at levels as low as parts per billion. Fresh carbon may help too. GFO may also bind some if you are running it fo PO4 removal. Overtime the metals will bind with organics and toxiity will be limited.

java
03/08/2013, 11:39 AM
I suspect you'll be fine, since the tank has been okay so far. I'd expect problems to occur quickly in most cases.
i had no inverts left, they had all died off over the years, when i added the new snails they all went belly up right away.

I agree ;run cuprisorb and or polyfilter. The polyfilter may not turn blue at low levels. Some inverts are hamed by free metals at levels as low as parts per billion. Fresh carbon may help too. GFO may also bind some if you are running it fo PO4 removal. Overtime the metals will bind with organics and toxiity will be limited.

Ill change my GFO and carbon, i want any metals gone before i transfer tanks.

java
03/08/2013, 09:46 PM
Cuprisorb came today (thanks amazon! A day early) has been on for about 6 hours, hasn't turnedblue at all. Good sign maybe.

HumbleFish
03/08/2013, 10:01 PM
i had no inverts left, they had all died off over the years, when i added the new snails they all went belly up right away.

Ill change my GFO and carbon, i want any metals gone before i transfer tanks.

After you're done running cuprisorb, buy a few more snails (or another invert) to test things out. I wouldn't transfer tanks until an invert lives in your tank for a couple of weeks.

bertoni
03/10/2013, 12:49 AM
Ah, I see. I agree with trying a few snails in a couple of weeks or so.

I don't think CupriSorb will turn blue. A PolyFilter will turn blue if there's a bit of copper in the system.

java
03/10/2013, 09:43 AM
It says it will when exhausted, maybe it won't until it's totally saturated. I have 2 snails in there that seem paralyzed, they don't move, but their antennas move and they retreat into their shells when touched.

Any ideas?

Ph 8.06
Temp77
Sg 1.023-4
Mag 1400
Cal 380
Alk 9dkh

HumbleFish
03/10/2013, 11:41 AM
It says it will when exhausted, maybe it won't until it's totally saturated. I have 2 snails in there that seem paralyzed, they don't move, but their antennas move and they retreat into their shells when touched.

Any ideas?

An initial outbreak of dinoflagellates will do that to snails.

java
03/10/2013, 02:31 PM
An initial outbreak of dinoflagellates will do that to snails.

Any way to battle this? I've got a little dinos but not much

HumbleFish
03/10/2013, 03:46 PM
Any way to battle this? I've got a little dinos but not much

I haven't dealt with dinos for many years, so someone may chime in with a better solution. I beat mine by going 3-day lights out, once a month, every month. It took about 4-6 months to completely knock it out, but it worked for me.

java
03/10/2013, 03:48 PM
And I've got paralyzed snails for the mean time? I did some searching and didn't come up with much

HumbleFish
03/10/2013, 04:44 PM
And I've got paralyzed snails for the mean time? I did some searching and didn't come up with much

From what I can recall, I only lost snails during the initial outbreak. Snails added 2-3 months later were fine.

Google "dinoflagellates snails" and you'll get some hits. I found this article (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-11/rhf/index.php) about dinos and pH, which also states this:

Snails seem to be especially prone to suffering from dinoflagellate toxins, so if you have pests such as dinoflagellates and notice that the snails seem to be moribund (near death, not moving, etc.), that may help finger dinoflagellates as the pests, although other pests can also produce toxins. Fish and other organisms that eat the dinoflagellates can die from their toxins as well.

3. Use more than normal amounts of activated carbon, and possibly ozone, to deal with toxins that the dinoflagellates may be releasing. This may allow snails and other organisms to survive while the dinoflagellates are still at nuisance levels.

The author gives his recommendations for fighting dinos here (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-11/rhf/index.php#11).

java
03/11/2013, 11:23 AM
hmm ok thanks. Im off to google around a bit.