PDA

View Full Version : Are fish affected by stripping phosphates?

joelbegt
03/06/2013, 09:35 PM
I was curious in a fish only tank with only phosphate issues if you could you aggressively strip out phosphate using a liquid phosphate removal. Say go from .16ppm to like .01 or .00 using a Hanna to check but in a very short period, lets say a week. Are liquid phosphate removers toxic or harmful in a fish only system or if dropped quickly?

blanden.adam
03/06/2013, 09:43 PM
Fish should not be affected in the slightest by phosphate concentration. However, I am unfamiliar with what is in commercial "liquid phosphate removers," so I can't offer help there. Do you have a particular chemical in mind or just proprietary liquid phosphate removers?

joelbegt
03/06/2013, 09:56 PM
Brightwell Aquatics Phosphate-E is what I plan to use. Says it binds and remains inert taken out by the mechanical filtration and protein skimmer. So would a filter sock remove the bound phosphates?

bertoni
03/06/2013, 11:42 PM
I think that's a lanthanum chloride solution, so a very fine filter sock should do the job if the flow is slow enough.

The fish can't be harmed directly by any change in the phosphate level within the limits we see in our tanks.

Peter Eichler
03/06/2013, 11:59 PM
I would suggest saving some money and just looking for lanthium chloride from a pool supply store if you try to use it. I have seen reports of strange activity from tangs believed to be attributed to using lanthanum chloride. Just something to research a bit before making your decision.