PDA

View Full Version : rodi filter question

shifty51008
03/07/2013, 12:49 AM
I have always ran a 5 micron sediment,5 micron carbon, and a 1micron carbon for my prefilters and also notice that is the way most 4stage systems come. Is there a reason for using 2 carbon filters or would it be just as good running a 5 and a 1 micron sediment filter and a 1 micron carbon filter as my prefilters. I dont have chlorimines in our water btw.

Tia

SneekaPeek
03/07/2013, 01:09 AM
I have always ran a 5 micron sediment,5 micron carbon, and a 1micron carbon for my prefilters and also notice that is the way most 4stage systems come. Is there a reason for using 2 carbon filters or would it be just as good running a 5 and a 1 micron sediment filter and a 1 micron carbon filter as my prefilters. I dont have chlorimines in our water btw.

Tia

I would run both just in case. Identifying the exact quality of city water output so that you can identify what procedures to take for filtration, you would have to run the city water through expensive tests which pays for the carbon block in the long haul. Most Carbon filters take out a lot of impurities that are less than 5 micron which is nice.

Most residential RO systems via 5 stage:
5 Micron Sediment Filter
Carbon Block (CTO)
Granular activated carbon (GAC)
Inline Post Carbon Filter-Taste/Odor Reducer

I would just stick with it or add another stage of prefilter such as a 1 micron sediment filter to make it a total of a 5 stage unit, but this will have to be changed out more periodically unless you run it after your 5 Micron.

Michigan Mike
03/07/2013, 04:02 AM
Try 1micron sediment & 1 micron carbon. But buy an extra sediment filter, this should work well, just change the sed filter out if pressure drops. The 1 micron carbon should last a lot longer than the 5 micron carbon lock.

shifty51008
03/07/2013, 04:09 AM
That was the plan but have it in this order, 5 micron sediment, 1 micron sediment, and 1 micron carbon. I understand i would have to change the sediment filters more often, but thats fine as they are cheap. I guess im just confused as to why most systems with 3 prefilters need to run 2 carbon filters and 1 sediment. Unless you have chlorimines you would want the extra carbon though.

azjohnny
03/07/2013, 05:01 AM
Usually the cheaper companies are the ones that have more than 1 sediment filter and 1 carbon block, they like to try to impress you with multiple stages. You only need 1 of each

A second DI filter is a good idea though

I run a .2 micron sediment and a .5 micron carbon block

shifty51008
03/07/2013, 05:20 AM
I have a purelyh2o rodi system (i dont consider them a cheap brand like water generals)but it has 3 prefilters and dual di. The reason i bought it this way was just incase our water supply ever started using chloramines, that way i would already have the extra canister. But sence we still dont use chloramines i may as well use it for something

Michigan Mike
03/07/2013, 09:56 AM
Like azjohnny shown above in post#5 having a smaller micron sediment filter will protect your carbon block from junking up. Sediment filters are cheap.