PDA

View Full Version : Quietest in-sump skimmer ? REALLY !

Herbie
03/07/2013, 06:45 PM
O.K. guys, I am looking for a new skimmer for a new build.
I am setting up a 60 cube.......it will be in my living room, so everything about this build must be silent. I already have the overflow plumbing figured out so its "ultra quiet". lol. ;) :D
I am going with a nice and quiet Tunze (1073.40) return pump. I have used these before, so I got that one covered.
The main purchase that I have yet to make is a good skimmer. I have always had good luck with the Tunze DOC series skimmers (9006,9010) and my gut is telling me to just go with the 9011 Tunze. I KNOW they are nearly silent, and skim pretty good once they are broken in. They also take up very little room in the sump.
What I want to know............are there any other skimmers I should be considering that are as QUIET as the Tunze DOC series, and work better than the Tunze. I am looking for first hand experience from people who have had a Tunze DOC, and some other skimmer that is better, and quieter.
It has to be quieter AND skim better, or I might as well just get the Tunze :thumbsup:
Oh yea, my budget is approx $350. (what the Tunze 9011 costs).
I have been hearing good things about this Rlss R6 skimmer with a DC pump. Its close to budget and getting good reviews for being silent, and a good performer........DC pump is cool too. Anyone know about it ?

Just looking for a little "first hand" experience here.........not hearsay, lol. :wildone:

Thanks,
Herbie

reeftivo
03/07/2013, 09:19 PM
A have a 9410 master DOC and its loud. Great skimmer though. I've replaced it with a WM mf121 which is essentially a skimz sm121. It's the quietest skimmer I've used next to the BK 160mini. I'm really interested in the seaside aquatics ES5 or CS1. They have great pumps (sicce PK's) like the tunze, and they mount the pump internally on pads. So you get rubber pads on the pump and on under underside of the skimmer. A while back, mojo on the skimmer q&a said the CS1 was one of the most silent skimmers he used and performed well. I'm thinking a may give the smaller ES5 a whirl eventually since it has the same vibration protection. Quiet is good since my tank is in my living room.

rishma
03/07/2013, 09:48 PM
I don't think there is a skimmer quieter than a 9011, except maybe 9004 but that may be undersized.

sirreal63
03/07/2013, 09:56 PM
I can vouch for the DC3000 pump being extremely quiet, I just put one on my G3 and it is a great little pump.

Rockys_Pride
03/07/2013, 10:03 PM
I like my CADLights, TIA-1220. They just released a pipeless version for smaller tanks. It's really quiet, I'm a noise hater too. It's worth looking into

rishma
03/07/2013, 10:55 PM
Well, if someone actually has experience with a skimmer as quiet as the 9011 but stronger performance, I would be interested. I think having used a 9010 or 9011 is a prerequisite because noise is so subjective.

dakota1972
03/07/2013, 10:59 PM
the need cad lights pipeless Skimmer is super quiet, I have one on my bio cube which is in my bedroom right next to my bed can't even hear it run

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

jake koppen
03/08/2013, 03:59 AM
My bubble magus nac7 is dead silent and would be a good size for you. I'm also on the ultra quite quest fur my system. Can only hear this old maxi jet that runs my bio pellets and one of my korellas is a little loud.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

degibson84
03/08/2013, 04:52 AM
A have a 9410 master DOC and its loud. Great skimmer though. I've replaced it with a WM mf121 which is essentially a skimz sm121. It's the quietest skimmer I've used next to the BK 160mini. I'm really interested in the seaside aquatics ES5 or CS1. They have great pumps (sicce PK's) like the tunze, and they mount the pump internally on pads. So you get rubber pads on the pump and on under underside of the skimmer. A while back, mojo on the skimmer q&a said the CS1 was one of the most silent skimmers he used and performed well. I'm thinking a may give the smaller ES5 a whirl eventually since it has the same vibration protection. Quiet is good since my tank is in my living room. I have a 9410 and it is dead silent.

Herbie
03/08/2013, 06:47 AM
Thanks for all the ideas guys, I will check some of these out. If I could budget a BK Mini, I would get that, but I dont feel like paying a grand for a skimmer lol :rolleyes:. I will check out the nac7, and give a look at those CadLights skimmers again. Never heard of the seaside aquatics skimmers, so I will check them out.
The Tunze 9410 reviews are all over the place. A lot of people say they are loud. I dont want to take the chance in hopes I will get lucky with a quiet one. Ironically, they are a little less expensive than a 9011.

Well, if someone actually has experience with a skimmer as quiet as the 9011 but stronger performance, I would be interested. I think having used a 9010 or 9011 is a prerequisite because noise is so subjective.

This is really the key.......... if you have already had a 9011, and have found a better performing skimmer, thats as quiet or quieter than the Tunze, thats really what I want to know. Looking for first hand experience from anyone who has changed out a skimmer in the place of a Tunze DOC series, and is happier with it, noise wise and performance.

Thanks,
Herbie

dakota1972
03/08/2013, 09:08 AM
sorry in my last Post I said need instead of have, I have the cadlights pipeless Skimmer paid 110 for it at reef stock have had it running for a week now I've already cleaned it once hers a pic of it an hour after running

reeftivo
03/08/2013, 09:48 AM
I have a 9410 and it is dead silent.

I wish mine was, or it would still be on my system. I got a replacement pinwheel which didn't help, then got a new 9410.04 and still had vibration noise. I even put 1/4in rubber adhesive pads on the bottom which helped a little. Now granted it wasn't "out of control loud" but if it's loud enough to hear over my overflow its too loud for me. It still was a skimming machine though!

Herbie
03/08/2013, 10:26 AM
sorry in my last Post I said need instead of have, I have the cadlights pipeless Skimmer paid 110 for it at reef stock have had it running for a week now I've already cleaned it once hers a pic of it an hour after running

Thanks,
Is that the skimmer that you turn the skimmer body to adjust the flow?
Seems like a cool idea. Is the adjustment "touchy"?

Herbie

Herbie
03/08/2013, 10:27 AM
I wish mine was, or it would still be on my system. I got a replacement pinwheel which didn't help, then got a new 9410.04 and still had vibration noise. I even put 1/4in rubber adhesive pads on the bottom which helped a little. Now granted it wasn't "out of control loud" but if it's loud enough to hear over my overflow its too loud for me. It still was a skimming machine though!

Yea, I dont see too many reviews that say the 9410 is quiet. I would love to try it, but I need something that is well known to be "silent".

Herbie

wildman926
03/08/2013, 11:10 AM
My new AquaMaxx EM100 is dead silent also. Good for up to 120g, only $250 from Marine Depot. VERY small footprint 8.6" x 6.3" x 21.7". You can see my little write up with a video of it HERE (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2269013&highlight=aquamaxx)

wildman926
03/08/2013, 11:14 AM
BTW - Love your method for a quiet overflow. Here is a video of when I set up one on my 110g about 2 years ago. Just click on the pic -

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s86/wildman926/Aquariums/New%20110/th_7cecfdf1.jpg (http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s86/wildman926/Aquariums/New%20110/7cecfdf1.mp4)

dakota1972
03/08/2013, 11:55 AM
yes its been an awesome little Skimmer so far and Eddie at cad lights was awesome to deal with I bought I've 800 this weekend from home at reef sock seems like a great company

reeftivo
03/08/2013, 01:41 PM
yes its been an awesome little Skimmer so far and Eddie at cad lights was awesome to deal with I bought I've 800 this weekend from home at reef sock seems like a great company

did you do the vac cleaner belt mod or has the skimmer held position well?

I just bought one! I figure considering what I've spent on skimmers over the years I could plunk down $180 to try it out.

dakota1972
03/08/2013, 01:45 PM
what the Vac mood? I haven't had any issues yet knock on wood, bought it brought it hom plugged it in and started pulling gunk out right away I love th adjustment on it very simple

reeftivo
03/08/2013, 02:03 PM
one of the reviewers mentioned over time (few days) his adjustment was getting thrown off with the pump vibration. Evidentally it was slowly moving the body of the skimmer, enough to off set the alignment of the two holes at the bottom that regulate the flow. He loved the skimmer so he took a rubber hoover 160 vacuum belt and slid it over the seam where the body connects to the base and it secured it while still allowing the skimmer to be adjustable.

Sounds like you dont have that issue

rishma
03/08/2013, 02:05 PM
a 9410 is not as quiet as a 9011 because it uses and aspirating impeller (needlewheel). IME the 9410 is as quiet as other similarly powered needlewheels of the high-end variety.

I really dont think it makes sense for anyone to say a skimmer is "dead silent". That is just nonsense, like someone saying that a vortech is silent. It mostly depends on how noisy your tank is overall.

Far better for someone to compare the noise to a commonly known piece of equipment.

reeftivo
03/08/2013, 02:06 PM
here's a link to one of the videos he did
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWS1NPVeDYc

dakota1972
03/08/2013, 02:58 PM
oh wow thats a great idea, but i honestly haven't had any issues but again only have had it for a week so fingers crossed it continued

degibson84
03/08/2013, 03:12 PM
Yea, I dont see too many reviews that say the 9410 is quiet. I would love to try it, but I need something that is well known to be "silent".

Herbie
if you do get avibration talk to the the guys on the Tunze boards they will help for sure

ReefTeacher
03/08/2013, 03:31 PM
I have my tank in my bedroom, so quiet is a high priority for me too. I have had a Octopus 2000XP internal cone for about 2 years and have been very pleased with how quiet it is. I bought it for this feature and got an excellent efficient skimmer in the process. If I set up a quarantine with in my bedroom, then any air pump I use is much louder than my entire main system!

reeftivo
03/08/2013, 03:46 PM
if you do get avibration talk to the the guys on the Tunze boards they will help for sure
Not much can be done as far as resonance vibration on the 9410 since the pump threads directly to the fitting on the body. Wish it had a uniseal

DOJO21
03/08/2013, 07:09 PM
I have a Tunze 9010 that is dead silent and does a great job. Im upgrading and do not need it. let me know if you are interested.

Herbie
03/08/2013, 07:58 PM
I have a Tunze 9010 that is dead silent and does a great job. Im upgrading and do not need it. let me know if you are interested.

I am very familiar with the the 9010. I have had a few 9005's and 9010's. I will PM you about it, thanks.

I am wondering how the 9011 stacks up against the 9010? I know the 9011 uses the new (round) motor block, but is that it? Is it quieter or more powerful?

Thanks,
Herbie

jimmyj7090
03/09/2013, 02:12 PM
I have the RLSS R6i and it's the quietest skimmer I've ever seen in person. If it weren't for silence from that darn Herbie drain I wouldn't be able to hear anything at all even with my ear right next to the skimmer :)

Herbie
03/09/2013, 02:18 PM
I have the RLSS R6i and it's the quietest skimmer I've ever seen in person. If it weren't for silence from that darn Herbie drain I wouldn't be able to hear anything at all even with my ear right next to the skimmer :)

LOL, Sorry :lol: .

Have you ever run a Tunze Doc skimmer so you can compare how silent the RLSS R6i skimmer really is ? Just curious.

Thanks for the input on the R6.
Herbie

jimmyj7090
03/09/2013, 02:48 PM
It's been years since I've been in the same room as a tunze skimmer running so I can't offer a realistic comparision, but as well as I can remember at worst they are about the same.

On the RLSS I'd say I can't hear anything from the pump, and only the slightest air sound from the muffler but only if I have my ear within a foot or so of it. Standing a couple feet from the tank it's dead silent. Works great too, the adjustable pump is very cool as it adds a whole new range of tuning to fiddle with.

Chris Lakies
03/09/2013, 03:00 PM
I cant compare the other skimmers listed in this thread, but i can say that my sro-1000 is really quite. It performs really well too.