PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater go bad

Brian225
03/07/2013, 08:07 PM
Trying to make things easier. I have a water cooler and use 4 gallon throwaway water jugs. Can I store saltwater in these jugs and how long would it last. I would love to change 4 gallons every 4 days.

MARINECRITTERS
03/07/2013, 08:08 PM
Stagnent water is bad, organics start to form, even bacteria start to colonize. You need a pump and preferably a heater to store saltwater, you can pick up some 32 gallon brute containers from home depot to store the water.

Brian225
03/07/2013, 08:11 PM
Thanks Marinecritters.

Spar
03/08/2013, 07:52 AM
I use 210g containers (only mixed to 150g or less though) to store my saltwater. I have it constantly circulating from bottom back to the top. My general rule is I don't like the water to be mixed for more than a month without being at least 80% used. I will dump it if so... no reason why, just paranoid by it.

I am curious why heating would be necessary. I haven't been doing this, but maybe I should. Being in Texas I only have to concern about this for a couple months tops anyway. Any specific reasons why? [obviously other than for matching temp's before doing the water change]

MARINECRITTERS
03/08/2013, 10:04 AM
I use 210g containers (only mixed to 150g or less though) to store my saltwater. I have it constantly circulating from bottom back to the top. My general rule is I don't like the water to be mixed for more than a month without being at least 80% used. I will dump it if so... no reason why, just paranoid by it.

I am curious why heating would be necessary. I haven't been doing this, but maybe I should. Being in Texas I only have to concern about this for a couple months tops anyway. Any specific reasons why? [obviously other than for matching temp's before doing the water change]

Heater are important so you do not shock your aquarium inhabitants when doing a water change. Your aquarium would not respond well if the temperature went from 79F all the way down to 74F

Allmost
03/08/2013, 10:07 AM
Trying to make things easier. I have a water cooler and use 4 gallon throwaway water jugs. Can I store saltwater in these jugs and how long would it last. I would love to change 4 gallons every 4 days.

clean water does not go bad.

thats how the stores store it too.

to be extra sure, fill up to the top and dont let air in.

disc1
03/08/2013, 10:39 AM
Some salt mixes (reef crystals comes to mind) have a high organic content and should have some circulation while you store it.

Most mixes (like regular IO) don't have any organics added and will last for thousands and thousands of years in a closed container. Think about how old the ocean is. That's how long regular IO can last.

Spar
03/08/2013, 12:43 PM
Heater are important so you do not shock your aquarium inhabitants when doing a water change. Your aquarium would not respond well if the temperature went from 79F all the way down to 74F

Ah, thought you meant during just regular circulation. I heat mine up just prior to a planned water change.

disc1
03/08/2013, 12:50 PM
Ah, thought you meant during just regular circulation. I heat mine up just prior to a planned water change.

You're doing right. Heat it up just when you're ready to use it. Heating during storage not only wastes electricity but can also lead to calcium carbonate precipitation which lowers the calcium and alkalinity in the water.

blackstrat
03/09/2013, 06:35 PM
You're doing right. Heat it up just when you're ready to use it. Heating during storage not only wastes electricity but can also lead to calcium carbonate precipitation which lowers the calcium and alkalinity in the water.

No wonder my calcium levels were always low. I kept my heaters on.
Good to know.

As a general rule, how much time prior to a water change should I begin heating?

bnumair
03/09/2013, 06:53 PM
i agree with Disc1. salts mix with no organics can be stored for long tern use but need to be aerated and heated to right temp before using.

thabizness
03/09/2013, 07:33 PM
I have also been keeping water in a container heated... Thanks for the heads up.

igot2gats
03/09/2013, 08:28 PM
As a general rule, how much time prior to a water change should I begin heating?

Trial and error. Each heater is a little different. Plan ahead a little, and give the heater 10-15 minutes to heat up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

blackstrat
03/09/2013, 08:59 PM
What I meant to ask was: how long before a water change, is it advisable to heat your stored RODI before calcium is lost?
When does calcium loss occur?

Thanks

sail33
03/09/2013, 10:13 PM
Disc1 aka tesla, Thanks for that. I will change my practice of keeping the water warm to heating just before the change

I've heard that 3 weeks is the "safe " limit for water storage and it must be aerated. I can see where RO/Di will last longer but I wouldn't trust "forever". Just my uninformed opinion...

the808state
03/10/2013, 01:37 AM
natural sea water goes bad quickly in a closed container... a lot of micro organisms die off and fowl the water. Freshwater turned to salt would last a very very long time. If you want to just use 5 gallon buckets, cut a small hole for an airstone, and that will be plenty of turnover. If a fish can last in a 5 gallon bucket with an airstone for weeks on end... the water will be fine :)

Spar
03/10/2013, 08:45 AM
Trial and error. Each heater is a little different. Plan ahead a little, and give the heater 10-15 minutes to heat up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Depends on the amount of water as well. For me to heat up 75-150 gallons by 5-8 degrees will take several hours.

I usually start heating it up the night prior to the waterchange.