PDA

View Full Version : Anemone co-habitation

worm5406
03/07/2013, 08:27 PM
A friend and I were talking about this earlier.

What anemones are good for cohabitation?

I know normally it is best to have a clone/split as they are basically putting of the same chemical markers around each other.

I have seen a few threads on here lately where some are putting different types/variations together.

Of course there is WMD (chemical warfare) that come from them toward hostiles.

Just wondering and maybe start some documentation/discussion.

garygb
03/07/2013, 10:01 PM
I have kept crispa, BTA and Epicystis crucifer in close quarters with no apparent ill effects over a year. In fact the BTAs and E. crucifers have been together for years. On the other hand, I have never had good luck keeping BTAs and magnificas together for more than 6 months. The BTAs began to look adversely affected (smaller, didn't appear as robust).

OrionN
03/07/2013, 10:31 PM
I keep Gigantea, Malu and Maxi-Tapetum together without problem for at least 6 months

cichlidconvert
03/08/2013, 02:28 AM
I've kept BTA and LTA twice in small tanks 20 and 46.

I also keep 8 different types of temperate nems in my lobster tank. They are definitely more forgiving. In fact there are 65 nems in the 110 display of that tank.

worm5406
03/08/2013, 03:00 PM
LOL... What about seperation? inches vs feet.

RossRalliart
03/08/2013, 07:58 PM
I've kept H.Magnifica / RBTA in one tank and H.Magnifica/ H.Crispa/M.Doreensis in another tank without problems.

worm5406
03/10/2013, 10:55 PM
I have a ritteri and a mdoreensis currently. I am looking at getting another ritteri in a few months.

My ritt is 18+ inches right now.
Im in a 180 and have the room. (well till he gets bigger... hahahaha)

OrionN
03/11/2013, 06:05 AM

The anemones I am talking about are in a 65 gallon reef. The Maxis are touching the Gigantea (touching each other) and the Malu, also touching each other, are a few inches away but not touching the Gigantea.

worm5406
03/11/2013, 10:29 AM
Ahhh,,, ok... I was more worried about WMD warfare... no problems?

OrionN
03/11/2013, 10:59 AM
No problem wit this particular combination. All are doing well and the Malu will spawn if I feed them. Too bad I got two male. I will be ordering more Malu in hope of coming up with a female.

worm5406
03/11/2013, 11:01 AM
Yeah... LOL...

That would be nice to have a little nursery.

worm5406
06/04/2013, 09:05 PM
Bump.

mandarin_goby
06/04/2013, 11:30 PM
I have 2 bubble tips and a rock nem at one end of my 3-foot long 40 breeder and 2 maxi minis at the other end with no issues.

reefs4lifee
06/05/2013, 10:10 AM
As per my reply to one of your other threads, I have 1 Blue Haddoni, 1 Magnifica, 1 Crispa, 3 RBTA, 3 GBTA, 1 Sand Anemone (phymanthus) and 2 Tube anemones. Looking to add a purple base Mag, possibly a Merten and possibly a different colored Haddoni.

cichlidconvert
06/05/2013, 11:41 AM

We are talking mm rather than inches in their seperation. I just added a rock that added 200+ mini plumous anemones. Which puts the population at around 280+/- nems. All are really small, and some super tiny. But between that and the red and aqua green beadlet anemones and the the two waratah anemones. Its a real balancing act. I have nems whose origins stretch from the SW pacific to the NE pacific to the north atlantic. Chemically they all get along quite well. And they rarely seek each other out. With one exception. Aggregating anemones tend to roam and pick fights by throwing "darts" they never touch other nems. They just nettle at them:uzi:. But the large nems are super aggresive if they can touch. In fact two of the aggregating nems stood an inch or so out of reach of my White Spotted Rose for two months! Until finally the WSR released flipped over and tried to stuff one in its mouth while stinging the other agg! I broke up the fight and sent everyone to their corners. But the WSR didn't sit down and drifted into a painted anemone its same size and was eaten:blown: I was so mad. The WSR is the prettiest nem I have. So two days later the painted was looking to poop and I saw a foot and started to pull on it. The painted was attached to a 5 pound rock and would not let go even as I was shaking it. I had to pull on the rock and the WSR to pull it free. Anyway after all was said and done no one died. :celeb3: And after the separation the WSR is huge again sitting on a giant scallop with some mangled tips that are repairing. Kinda gives new meaning to hardy don't it:)

E Rosewater
06/05/2013, 12:14 PM
I have 2 BTAs and I've wanted to add a couple flower anemones. Have people had good luck mixing these?

worm5406
06/05/2013, 12:24 PM
Nice discussion so far.

That is funny!!

motojoe1988
06/05/2013, 01:19 PM
We are talking mm rather than inches in their seperation. I just added a rock that added 200+ mini plumous anemones. Which puts the population at around 280+/- nems. All are really small, and some super tiny. But between that and the red and aqua green beadlet anemones and the the two waratah anemones. Its a real balancing act. I have nems whose origins stretch from the SW pacific to the NE pacific to the north atlantic. Chemically they all get along quite well. And they rarely seek each other out. With one exception. Aggregating anemones tend to roam and pick fights by throwing "darts" they never touch other nems. They just nettle at them:uzi:. But the large nems are super aggresive if they can touch. In fact two of the aggregating nems stood an inch or so out of reach of my White Spotted Rose for two months! Until finally the WSR released flipped over and tried to stuff one in its mouth while stinging the other agg! I broke up the fight and sent everyone to their corners. But the WSR didn't sit down and drifted into a painted anemone its same size and was eaten:blown: I was so mad. The WSR is the prettiest nem I have. So two days later the painted was looking to poop and I saw a foot and started to pull on it. The painted was attached to a 5 pound rock and would not let go even as I was shaking it. I had to pull on the rock and the WSR to pull it free. Anyway after all was said and done no one died. :celeb3: And after the separation the WSR is huge again sitting on a giant scallop with some mangled tips that are repairing. Kinda gives new meaning to hardy don't it:)

Can we get a fts?

worm5406
06/05/2013, 01:22 PM
My vid is a little "cooler" than everyone elses. 53 degrees cold that is:)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qBM96nHbPJI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

motojoe1988
06/05/2013, 01:27 PM
I have several bta's some are a split and some are diffrent color morph. Although I had 3 gbta but got wiped out by all the rose's and rainbows I believe. I have about 11 bta's 3 same mother colony and 2 more that split aswell.

cichlidconvert
06/05/2013, 01:41 PM
Haha there it is thanks for digging that up:)

worm5406
06/05/2013, 02:15 PM
I was following that thread also. So I knew that video would work (I hope) hahahaha

Greg 45
06/05/2013, 03:04 PM
Mertens with Hadoni
Mertens with Gigantea

cichlidconvert
06/05/2013, 04:32 PM
I have 4 different sticlodactyl species in a 45 no prob so far

xtlosx
06/05/2013, 06:18 PM
Anything on Giganteas & Magnificas in the same system?

jwoyshnar
06/05/2013, 06:44 PM
I have a large ritteri, 6 bta's, and two lta's. no issues. Been this way for years. Had a sebae in there too but that got extremely large and I had to sell it.

chgries
06/06/2013, 08:50 PM
What about a Haddoni and a BTA?

reefs4lifee
06/06/2013, 10:20 PM
What about a Haddoni and a BTA?

Got a haddoni with 3 BTAs and 3 RBTAs. You'll be fine

jwoyshnar
06/07/2013, 05:13 AM
With all of the success people had sometimes you have to wonder if someone had a death they were just looking to blame something? Because you know none of us can ever do anything wrong! Lol

Greg 45
06/07/2013, 05:21 AM
Wow glad you admitted that jwoyshnar
I get anemones very often, I don't think that a sick anemone can get all the others sick.
Yes a big ammonia spike from a large or even small anemone can wipe out a system.
Yes we all don't admit our mistakes. OK I messed up once maybe twice
There are now others running multiple gigs together on the forum

Reefvette
06/07/2013, 07:22 AM
Anemones can have bacteria in them, that can be spread from one anemone to another.

Alot of times the introduction of new anemones from a new system can trigger sickness in other anemones.

Keep anemones together is about Water volume. I wouldnt suggest putting a haddoni and a magnifica is a 30 gallon tank.

hobogato
06/09/2013, 06:23 PM
i have had a mag and gig in the same tank (250 gallon) for two months now. the mag was recovering from a mini tank crash when i added the gig, but both seem to be doing fine atm.
mag is going on a year in tank and gig is going on 6 months in captivity, two months in my tank.

akindbro4u
06/15/2013, 06:27 PM
i have a condi that i have had for a while. i just added a sebae last week, and it isn't as full as i would like, and isnt eating well. Do you think its the condi, or just adjusting?

edit: This is in a 150 gallon shallow reef tank. they are at least two feet apart.

cichlidconvert
06/15/2013, 07:12 PM
Sebae's are hard to acclimate. And often show up stressed and a pretty "white" color. This may be the case. But condy's do roam alot and may physically do battle with the sebae. Which happened in one of my tanks and I had a system crash.everything was fine till the Condy started playing patty cake with the bta and the LTA.

akindbro4u
06/15/2013, 08:06 PM
so you wouldn't be concerned with chemical, just physical contact. I thought it was typical acclimation stress. just wanted a second opinion. It is what as most sebae are i think the biggest thing is it is light acclimating. the lfs it came from uses alot less light. it is open just not as much as i would like.