PDA

View Full Version : water touching glass center brace

thereeftank
03/08/2013, 05:44 AM
For some reason my water level has increased a bit in the tank and it's touching my center brace. it's glass. Is this okay? I have MH lights so it gets hot, but if water is constantly touching it, it's fine or not?

I'm not concerned about overflowing the tank, just wondering about glass. probably time to clean overflow teeth...

mark54321
03/08/2013, 06:41 AM
If the glass being touched by water at all times its probably cooled by it and doesn't get hot enough to crack, should be fine. But if its splashed by water once in a while, it my crack when it gets hot.

mcgrawjt
03/08/2013, 06:52 AM
I personally would be more worried about overflowing the tank. If the water is hitting your center brace then more water is entering the tank than draining (of course). You definitely need to inspect all your drainage points for any sort of blocking. This is also why I have ball valves on my returns so you can also use them to slow the flow into your tank incase the drains cannot keep up.

How close are your halides to the glass btw? When you mention the brace gets hot, can you touch it and keep your hand on it? If so I do not think it is hot enough to worry about water touching it.

Good luck.
John

Charfish
03/08/2013, 07:54 AM
:eek2::eek2:fgggkfggjgtitgotkfgjvvbbbbbbbbbnnnnnnxffffdgdtfgfnhcdd hddcdddhggckjjjjjjjjkfkfdf;dldlffpfd;ld;feeeffflfkfffkkkkkkmk,klllmvkbjggkhgogkjbggjgvfjfffkkkkjhffh gfff
fkfjcfffjcjhffhfhhffgjjgffhr tktlkoijt,tot5ktoktkgfmfkdl,edkddkddkddkkkkkkkkkklxlxderlokfrfdffemddndbdvdxxdxbvxxxxbbxvgd
tgkgfgffjgjjjjjjnnnnnntjjjthurhrgryrryrryryyyygbbdhgffgyrgfrytfgyftfeehjejjsjsdkddekjnfrjkrrrfbdb
rjgggjggjgfikfjrgfjjjjjgjgjgkhjgffkfkf;lf;f;dldlvdlcfokmvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvfffffffffffffffffffffff
riifffiriiiiutr7tu8ff4o3ewlqwkqwselllllllllllllllllll;gbvkgjghgfjkrggjjjjjgjgjrfiofrjhrufrjhjhjhjjkd l.k,.;l;tyhjiohy
c

htinev
03/08/2013, 08:22 AM
If the water is hitting your center brace then more water is entering the tank than draining (of course).

Not quite, if that was the case the water level would be constantly rising. It sounds like it's constant but just too high. :spin3:

spieszak
03/08/2013, 08:32 AM
Is it "cleanable"? coraline or algae in general might really like that well lit glass.

mcgrawjt
03/08/2013, 08:34 AM
Not quite, if that was the case the water level would be constantly rising. It sounds like it's constant but just too high. :spin3:

I think you are trying to say it is NOT constant? Even so if it is hitting where it doesn't normally go, it could continue if not checked. It maybe constant but just at a very slow rate (could take days or a week to eventually overflow) and it is not immediately visible.

Just keep an eye on it... rest assured if it is going to overflow it will be when you are not home (or asleep) ;)

Good luck.
John

htinev
03/08/2013, 08:40 AM
I think you are trying to say it is NOT constant? Even so if it is hitting where it doesn't normally go, it could continue if not checked. It maybe constant but just at a very slow rate (could take days or a week to eventually overflow) and it is not immediately visible.

Just keep an eye on it... rest assured if it is going to overflow it will be when you are not home (or asleep) ;)

Good luck.
John

I see what you mean, yeah that definitely makes sense. If the overflow doesn't get cleaned, the level will keep rising very slowly. :cool:

RA
03/08/2013, 08:45 AM
I see what you mean, yeah that definitely makes sense. If the overflow doesn't get cleaned, the level will keep rising very slowly. :cool:

Yup.

Is it a built in overflow, if not what brand is it?

Dexters Reef
03/08/2013, 08:47 AM
Inspect the overflow slots, you would be surprised how much a little algae in them can affect the drainage speed. I have to clean mine about once a month, and just by cleaning them out the level in my sump return raises by several inches immediately from the increase in drainage speed

borderreef
03/08/2013, 10:50 AM
When I installed my C to C overflow, I put it up a bit too high. If I'm running just the return pump with no reactors or skimmer, the water touches the brace. When all my reactors and skimmer are running, it reduces the return flow enough that the water doesn't hit. So, in other words, if you can reduce your return flow a little, you should not have the problem. Just remember, it's just a suggestion and my opinion. We all know what opinions are like, and we all have one.

Dr Colliebreath
03/08/2013, 11:32 AM
This happens to mine when the overflow teeth need algae cleaning. You are introducing increasing amounts of water into the system with topoff water and need to fix it before you have a flood.

thereeftank
03/09/2013, 12:24 AM
So I cleaned the teeth today and level back down to original. It's a 150g RR tank. Never cleaned it before like this in the past 1.5years that I had it... thanks for the input