PDA

View Full Version : Biocube Skimmer HELP!

ibuyguy
03/08/2013, 01:23 PM
I recieved a used Biocube skimmer when I bought Biocube 29. I can not figure out how to tune my skimmer correctly. I replaced stone with new wood stone. The pump motor is working. When plugged in it produces small white bubbles but does not reach or climb into the skimmer cup. I have adjusted the air valve both directions and do not see any difference in production of bubbles. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks

mayjong
03/08/2013, 04:32 PM
give it time, it needs to break in.
if you can get the bubbles to touch the bottom of the neck, leave it there and wait a week or so...

ryeguyy84
03/08/2013, 05:57 PM
give it time, it needs to break in.
if you can get the bubbles to touch the bottom of the neck, leave it there and wait a week or so...

Yup... What he said

ibuyguy
03/08/2013, 09:46 PM
It does not reach the bottom of the neck! I need this thing to work :)
Any suggestions welcome

OrQidz
03/09/2013, 10:37 AM
I used one of these for a while and it can work, but it needs time to settle in. Whenever I switched to a new airstone it took at least a few weeks to get back to working. Overall I found it tricky due to the amount of fussing and adjusting it always needed, but I did get it to finally consistently pull some skimmate. One thing I found was the amount of air flow needs to be adjusted with much trial and error. I didn't like the little plastic thing that comes stock so I bought another one at the LFS. I also experimented with a better air pump (didn't make much difference). Give it time and keep fiddling, you should be able to get it working eventually.

Also, the height of the thing vs the water level can make a big difference, if the bubbles aren't getting high enough maybe find a way to get it lower in the water.