PDA

View Full Version : Using filters with macro lenses

frankyrivera
03/08/2013, 10:05 PM
I was told to get a circular polarizer for my macro lens since it helps cut reflections and glare from glass and water. I noticed the filter is somewhat tinted or dark so I lose about 2 stops if light. Dies anyone shoot macros using circular polarizers or not. I hear it helps with saturation and contrast too. Should I just shoot without or is the filter beneficial

JaYbIrD1969
03/09/2013, 06:48 AM
The filter does cut down on glare. Much like polarized sunglasses. The downside is the loss of light and we're already dealing with low ambient light in reef tanks. The best way to know whats right for you is to conduct your own experiments. Take pictures of the same thing at the same time with and without.

Post your results.

BlueCorn
03/09/2013, 08:54 AM
Anything that cuts glare improves saturation. I have a polarizer on every single lens all the time. I don't take it off unless I'm shooting at night. That said, if you're going to use one, you need to adjust it every time you change the camera position. Just having it on, without adjusting it, can do more harm then good.

jroovers
03/09/2013, 09:50 AM
I wouldn't bother for aqua macro shots. Outside, different story.

ebacon
03/10/2013, 08:41 AM
Anything that cuts glare improves saturation. I have a polarizer on every single lens all the time. I don't take it off unless I'm shooting at night. That said, if you're going to use one, you need to adjust it every time you change the camera position. Just having it on, without adjusting it, can do more harm then good.

How do you adjust a polarizer? The ones I have seem pretty static

BlueCorn
03/10/2013, 09:45 AM
They rotate. The amount of polarization changes with the rotation.

frankyrivera
03/10/2013, 04:09 PM
I rotate mine and can't see a diference in any point I turn

BlueCorn
03/10/2013, 06:26 PM
The amount of polarization is dependent the position of the light source relative to your camera. It won't always make a big difference but there is almost always at least a subtle a difference.

IslandCrow
03/13/2013, 12:30 PM
I rotate mine and can't see a diference in any point I turn

Since your primary light source is pretty much directly in front of your lens, you aren't going to see a real noticable difference. On the other hand, if you go outside (early or late in the day works best) and position the camera so the sun is at about a 90 degree angle to the sun and try turning the filter. Then, you'll see what people are talking about. With water, it can also make a big difference in the apparent clarity. Our tanks really don't have much glare looking through the side, so it makes very little difference (which is why many people don't bother with polarizers for tank shots). Where you do see a big difference is shooting top down through a water source.

jroovers
03/13/2013, 01:00 PM
Where you do see a big difference is shooting top down through a water source.

I'm assuming you mean here that you are attmepting to take a shot top down without a viewing box.

I honestly think a CPF is a waste of time with tank shots, just another variable to worry about. That is just my opinion though. They are very helpful in certain situations such as when shooting scense with rivers, lakes, ocean etc. and in certain situations when it is really sunny out.

JaYbIrD1969
03/13/2013, 01:19 PM
I'm assuming you mean here that you are attmepting to take a shot top down without a viewing box.

A viewing box would not require a filter since the "lens" of the box breaks the surface. Similar to looking thru the side of your tank. Its the reflection of light off the water that the filters are helpful with.

frankyrivera
03/13/2013, 04:17 PM
Haven't tried top downs yet