PDA

View Full Version : I overheard at an LFS

Paul B
03/09/2013, 12:52 PM
So I go into this LFS and it happens to be one of the largest and oldest stores in NY, I actually helped start their tanks many years ago, anyway I am looking at the fish and there was this guy there with his young Daughter and I hear her say "Daddy, I want that gobi" I looked at the "gobi" and it was a mandarin alone in a tank of anemones. I kept shopping and I heard him say that they just set up the tank yesterday.
So the salesman comes over to them and is telling them what fish to buy. They were going to get a tang, that "gobi" a couple of firefish and they asked what that "snot" looking thing on the glass was and if they could put it in their tank.
The salesman went to get a net and I told the guy that he doesn't wan't that lettuce slug or the "gobi" which is a mandarin or the tang. He asked me if mandarins were to mean to put in his tank and what was the problem with the tang in his 20 gallon 2 day old tank. I only had 15 seconds before the salesman came back and all I had time to say was "trust me".
So when the salesman arrived I walked away and he told the salesman he wanted to look some more and I showed the guy what he could put in his tank for his Daughter. I pointed out some cheap damsels and a small arrow crab. It was clear to me that the only thing this guy knew about fish was that they were wet.
But I really couldn't give him a 4 year lesson in the store so I hope his damsels make it to tomorrow.
In this store I noticed that they had a tank of about 30 copperband butterflies and they were less than ten bucks.
Normally that is a steal for a copperband until you notice that in the same system was a tank full of mandarins, and they were "all" dead. Dead mandarins look just like live mandarins except their eyes cloud up, and of course eventually, they rot. Also in the tank with the copperbands was a large angelfish, dead and a hogfish, almost dead. Well that was an hour ago so I am sure it's dead now, unless they sold it.
The copperbands were still a great price although thety were full of ich and I know that as soon as you remove them from that copper loaded water, they will be covered in paracites.
They also had a tank of large watchman gobies for 8 bucks, another great deal and as I looked at them, I said to myself "self" these guys look different than any watchman I have ever seen. They had long spines to their fins and I always go for the unusual so I put on my reading glasses.
They didn't have long spines, their fins were "only" spines with no fin material in them.
This store always has great "deals" and unusual fish but their husbandry practices are, and always have been aweful and they have been in business almost fifty years.
I abhor stealing and thats what this store is doing to unsuspecting hobbiests.
Not to mention what they are doing to all this livestock. People go in there and figure that the employees know what they are doing and I guess trust them to steer them in the right direction. It makes me think of those commercials that ask: "If you have ever been injured while working, skiing, walking or doing just about anything or if you have ever tried on a pair of pants that made you look fat or if anyone on the street ever looked at you funny, said anything to you or even brushed against you while you were in a crowded subway. Or have you ever gotten anything in your eye, stepped in poop, went bald, been fired or eaten something in a restaurant that you didn't like.
You know the commercials :beer:

reefer91
03/09/2013, 01:02 PM
I love your rambling (and I use that word with respect).

IdahoCindy
03/09/2013, 01:02 PM
I had a similar experience. Our LFS gave us horrible advise when we started. Fortunately, we found someone at a different store who is more knowledgeable. We went back to the first store a few days ago to buy food and heard the same awful advise being given to unsuspecting first timers. I felt so sorry for that couple. I had to just bite my lip to keep from telling them to run away, quick!

james30ct
03/09/2013, 01:19 PM
I would be nice if someone inspected these places and gave out fines for negligence. Probably wont happen, but it would be nice.

Squidmotron
03/09/2013, 01:23 PM
I've been there so many times. You just want to reach out and help people but it's so awkward in this context and the person may not appreciate it always.

biggles
03/09/2013, 02:13 PM
Years ago i tried to politely 'help' a couple going through the same experience at a big LFS. When the salesman returned and they cancelled their ridiculous new tank fish list they also pointed me out as the reason for their decision to wait a lot longer prior to adding livestock to their new tank.
The salesman was not happy and very rudely told me to mind my own business, when i pointed out that he was either lying to them or simply incompetent things escalated rapidly and next thing i know the owner comes out of the office and tells me i'm now banned and to get out of the store. Before i knew it i had 3 sales guys and the owner standing around me and the owner says ' get this smart *** out of my shop '. I calmly pointed out what i would do to the first person who tried to lay a hand on me at which point the owner pulled out his mobile and called the police telling them a mad man was threatening his staff. Why was i in such a bad LFS in the first place you may ask, well they were so bad that i once walked in and saw 2 x blue maxima's newly arrived in a coral tank with the old goni price of $25 still written on the glass, i asked the salesman if they were $25 each or the pair lol and he says ' oh no that price is per coral ' - ' no probs i'll take both for $50 then'. I giggled my *** off the whole way home and couldn't even brag to my wife at my win as she already thought clams were only $30 - no clue where she got that idea........:lol2:

reef_keeper
03/09/2013, 02:22 PM
Dang! There was about to be a throw down at the lfs LOL:lol:

MARINECRITTERS
03/09/2013, 02:52 PM
We need more specialty marine stores, who only hire employees that can pass certain tests.

Khemul
03/09/2013, 03:22 PM
In fairness, these are businesses we are talking about. Their primary purpose is to make a profit, not to educate the consumer. So expecting them to turn away a sale because the consumer doesn't know any better is a little unrealistic.

BTW, in case people didn't know with these little confrontations in stores (at least for those in the US), once the employees or store owner tell you to leave you've essentially lost. A lot of people tend to think with retail stores that they can't be kicked out, but once they've told you to leave you are trespassing. The store is now in the right and there is no chance of them listening. In fact, they'll probably dig in even harder and insist they were in the right.

Bad husbandry on the other hand is always a bit silly and counterproductive, since livestock is essentially money. So dead livestock is simply wasted money and lost potential profit.

Josh_84
03/09/2013, 03:26 PM
Problem is, stores don't want to pay or can't afford to pay knowledgeable people to work there, so they hire teens or pretty much anyone that will work for basically minimum wage. Friends of mine own a fish store and servicing company, and they have a very hard time finding reliable and knowledgeable staff.

biggles
03/09/2013, 03:59 PM
I don't for a minute advise anyone to get themselves into a situation like mine, in Aus if you are asked to leave a premises and refuse the store must call the police - they can not physically touch you to remove you. Once the police arrive the owner etc must repeat the request in front of the police at which time if you refuse you are now trespassing and can be arrested. I left the store when it got to this ridiculous point rather than wasting police time - they do have much more important things to do than removing me from a LFS and i had no intention of refusing to leave if they were present.
What i did achieved nothing when all is said and done........

MrTuskfish
03/09/2013, 05:42 PM
I would be nice if someone inspected these places and gave out fines for negligence. Probably wont happen, but it would be nice.

There is no law preventing stupid advice to consumers and I hope we never get to the nanny state that tries to enact one. I can remember almost as far back as Paul B can and remember when the LFS was a great source of info. Not any more. I'm always amazed at the number of folks who don't even own a book on the subject; all their research is done one question at a time. Forums are great; but the responsibility of learning the basics of the hobby still belong with the consumer, IMO. I can't imagine spending hundreds of dollars on anything without some basic research.

I can't even guess how many kids were crying their heads off when "little Nemo" died after an hour or so in the goldfish bowl that Mommy bought on the way home from that silly movie.

billdogg
03/09/2013, 06:34 PM
At one or two of the LFS's in the area, I have suggested to many people that they should either wait, or choose fish "x" instead of fish "y". I also give them the web addresses of both this site and www.wetwebmedia.com to use as reference.

When I worked at a LFS many years ago, I would sometimes get customers mad at me because I would ask them about their systems before selling them fish. Fresh or marine. Quite often, those same people would end up becoming long term customers when they realized that I was actually doing them a favor by not letting them kill things they were not ready for.

bnumair
03/09/2013, 07:01 PM
unfortunately this is just 1 store, i am sure it happens all over the world many many many times every hour.
But do i really blame the sales person. yes and some what no. they are in it to make money.
person buy do i blame them or not YES i blame them. one should do research before jumping into anything.
no one goes to a dealership and looks at a car and says i want this one and just go pay.
people even sniff and eat part of vegetable or fruits at walmart before buying for Gods sake. why cat they do the same with fish? why its it just too easily dispensable?
i have 1 word for such people IR-RESPONSIBLE.

hogfanreefer
03/09/2013, 09:35 PM
Thankfully, there is another side. I'm brand new to the hobby and took a couple of classes at my LFS and everything they said agrees with what I had read here. They sell RO/DI and salt water but the first thing said in class was get your own RO/DI and learn to make your own water.

Last week I heard a conversation with a customer that went something like this...

Customer...I want to buy that fish (a Mandarin)
Sales person....sorry that fish is already sold.
Customer.... can you order me one?
Sales person....asked about his tank (just cycled, no fuge). She told him no we can't order that fish for you, it would starve in your tank.

I heard a couple of other conversations that were similar. One was wanting fish inappropriate for his tank size. Another was wanting some plants (coral) to go along with his fish. The appropriate advice was given despite missing a potential sale. Thankfully there are some good places out there.

usmc121581
03/09/2013, 09:47 PM
When I get stationed at different bases I look around at all the stores and like to get to know owners almos like interviewing who will he my money. I usually grill staff on stuff, and see what they know. The stores I think are the best suited for my cash I usually would go into alot and eventually it would come down to I would end up helping customers then would lead to me volunteering my extra time to come in clean tanks and help customers out. This is how I have gotten 80% of corals and 50% of fish free. Along with lots of supplies.

Wizzard~Of~Ozz
03/09/2013, 10:02 PM
I agree that there are a few LFS as a whole that are good, there are also some employees at a generally bad LFS that are good. I wouldn't dare pigeonhole every LFS employee at a bad store as ignorant, I've met some at generally bad stores that really knew their stuff, however with the amount of knowledge they have, they are generally busier with customers a lot longer than the kid with the net in hand and a bag in the other.

When I'm at the store I generally try to offer my opinion ( as I'm entitled to that ) without criticizing the employee. Sometimes the best approach is to add something to what was said that is correct and the person can change their mind. Take for example the Mandarin above ( and isn't that one common? ), When you hear the sales person say that they'll grab a bag, you can just say simply "I read those need an aquarium that is a few years old or it will starve". You aren't saying anything that isn't (generally) true, you aren't telling them not to buy it, just letting them know that it probably isn't going to make it.

Approach is everything and as long as you aren't telling them to leave the store without buying anything, the store will likely not kick you out. You may also find that the customer will come back to you asking for your opinion of another fish, bypassing the ignorant employee all together.

blazzing_ray
03/09/2013, 10:28 PM
I called my Lfs to see if my live rock I ordered came in and the Girl says what color I will look I asked her are you serious?... She says yes lmao

Bike2k
03/09/2013, 10:56 PM
I'm new to this hobby and have done a lot of reading on this site. When my wife and I are in a LFS and I'm not sure she gets annoyed with me when I don't always want to ask the clerk questions. I have made it a point of showing some of the miss information they provide and now she understands and doesn't push me to ask if i don't want to. I would rather miss an opportunity than do something wrong.

Signal151
03/09/2013, 11:52 PM
Wait... fish are wet?

NYCBOB
03/10/2013, 08:04 AM
I cant blame the lfs. how many people r loyal to their lfs? most hobbyists will shop online in a heartbeat to save a few $$ rather than support their lfs.

Wizzard~Of~Ozz
03/10/2013, 09:14 AM
I cant blame the lfs. how many people r loyal to their lfs? most hobbyists will shop online in a heartbeat to save a few $$ rather than support their lfs.

I don't think that is the point. Loyal customers are the ones that actually know what they are looking for before they go in and are generally unaffected by ignorant staff.

My local store "chain" is one that refuses to be competitive, If I change .ca to .com on their site to check pricing, things are ~ 1/2 the price on the US site ( exchange rate is par ). I am generally that person that doesn't care about a few dollars difference, if something is 70$ online and 75$ in a local store, I will go to the local store, but if they want 120$ and I can buy it from a LFS on the other side of the country for 70$ shipped, then I will. I have a budget and I don't feel like burning up 50% of that on markup over what the reasonable price is.

gone fishin
03/10/2013, 09:25 AM
I still bring one of my books (Old School) to the LFS when shopping. Nothing like a quick reference. I have had other people ask to look up something. I have never had a LFS ask me to leave because of it.

JohnniG
03/10/2013, 09:32 AM
Classic story. Happens every day.

MrTuskfish
03/10/2013, 09:43 AM

Price is only one of the reasons I shop online. I haven't bought any livestock at a LFS in many years.

1.)I don't live within 3 hrs of a decent LFS, and their selection is lousy and fish often have parasites.
2.) The online site I use most is staffed withe knowledgeable people. The owners contribute in many ways to ,our hobby.
3.) Fish are bagged and transported one less time that LFS fish. (Most folks don't know this).
4.) I get a 14 day, no questions asked guarantee.
5.) My online supplier gets the pick of the litter at the wholesaler.
6.) I know instantly what is available.
7.) I pick my fish up at 9AM, 10 mins. away.
8.) Customer service is the best I've seen, in any business, anywhere.
9.) I don't pay our states extremely high sales tax.
10) I have no obligation to support any business. They have an obligation to earn it. I can remember when they did.

I know there are a few good LFS left. But not everyone lives near one.

Michigan Mike
03/10/2013, 09:52 AM
The last 3 times I've walked into petsmart I've left with customers for my fish or last time a family that I insisted to buy the products & fish there & I will give you a 5g tank, light/hood heater & filter with gravel for the cycle for that betta your daughter wants instead of a bowl.

The employees always support me & even come look & my fish.
Its become a win - win for both parties.
Too bad they not buy fish from local breeders like a couple other LFS around here.

Paul B
03/10/2013, 10:18 AM
Luckily for me, there are probable 7 or 8 LFSs with in 5 miles of my house so I don't have to travel far. I do visit the same one every week for worms, and another one I go to for fish and still another one for fish.
I never bought any livestock on line.
I even go to that one I started this thread about for the prices. A copperband for less than ten bucks is great as long as I can deal with the paracites and the fish is eating. I would not recommend it to anyone else but that place gets very unusual stock that I don't see anywhere else because he imports them himself, but you really have to know what you are doing as many of the fish are not in the best shape.
I also don't have to take any advice from anyone in the store.
I mainly go there for blackworms as sometimes the other places are out of them and they give you a nice portion, while I am there I look around.

TheAquatard
03/10/2013, 10:29 AM
I live on LI too, if we are thinking of the same store I agree with you completely. When you see yellow tangs and copper butterfly fish going for less that 20 dollars you know somethings up. Everything looks like it's on the verge of death.

ctazmartin
03/10/2013, 11:19 AM
10) I have no obligation to support any business. They have an obligation to earn it. I can remember when they did.

+1 Those were the good old days!!!

With respect to the other issues... Stupid Sales Staff vs. Stupid Customer.

Just remember, you can't fix Stupid.

And we are out numbered.

pontiac
03/10/2013, 11:36 AM
i was in one of the lfs last week and overheard an employee tell a customer that he didnt need ro water for his new saltwater tank, all he should do is fill up buckets with regular water and let them sit out for a few days and all the bad stuff will evaporate and then he can mix his salt and put the water in his tank. must be a magic spell he says with that as well i asume lol

jrp1588
03/10/2013, 11:44 AM
At least you guys have an LFS in your area. There is one store in my town that sells SW fish. Stuffed in a small corner of their fish section they have 6 10gal tanks. Each tank has maybe 1 fish in it, and always the same stuff. Couple clowns, some damsels, a goby. Once in a while they'll get a half starved mandarin in. Once in a blue moon you'll see a tang.

pontiac
03/10/2013, 11:51 AM
there are only two around my area, the not so good one and a really good one, dr macs.

MrTuskfish
03/10/2013, 01:37 PM
I can't imagine
opening a LFS today. They simply cannot compete with the online dealers and big box pet shops (shudder!). About 10 years ago, I was on the board of a little local bank and a great guy applied for a business loan. His application and business model were well presented and his credit and work history were great. The real economic members of the board just called it a classic "I want to work doing what I love" application. His application was DOA.

IMO, unless you have a family to work free or own the business outright; the only to succeed would to have a thriving maintenance business on the side. Drs. F&S (et al) can sell most hardgoods for less than the local Mom & Pop LFS pays for the stuff. Distributing livestock from the wholesaler and shipping direct to the consumer was a brilliant idea. Cheaper of course; but it also means the fish are bagged & transported one less time.

I'm afraid, as the current generation of LFS owners retires (or goes broke); the days of a lfs in all but the major metro areas is going to be a thing of the past..

Squidmotron
03/10/2013, 02:08 PM
I've talked to some LFS owners and managers, and actually the primary source of revenue these days is service. The storefront is secondary. It turns a small profit and it's just a central hub for people to come into.

That is one thing that the big companies in California or Wisconisn probably cannot do efficiently -- service your tank.

Admittedly, the people who frequent this forum are much less likely to actually use that service so probably forget it's the biggest part of the business.

popebosephus
03/10/2013, 02:36 PM
I just don't go into LFS anymore. It avoids this situation entirely.

Bilk
03/10/2013, 03:19 PM
In fairness, these are businesses we are talking about. Their primary purpose is to make a profit, not to educate the consumer. So expecting them to turn away a sale because the consumer doesn't know any better is a little unrealistic.

BTW, in case people didn't know with these little confrontations in stores (at least for those in the US), once the employees or store owner tell you to leave you've essentially lost. A lot of people tend to think with retail stores that they can't be kicked out, but once they've told you to leave you are trespassing. The store is now in the right and there is no chance of them listening. In fact, they'll probably dig in even harder and insist they were in the right.

Bad husbandry on the other hand is always a bit silly and counterproductive, since livestock is essentially money. So dead livestock is simply wasted money and lost potential profit.

They are in business to make money and if they were smart business people they'd want their new customers to have success keeping their fish instead of selling them stock thats half dead or the destination tank isn't capable of supporting. Then they'd get repeat business instead of a lost customer because that customer got frustrated and gave up the hobby.

Oh it's also called doing business in good faith. You know, where you try to help the customer make the better choice rather than what's just good for a one time sale?

Dr Colliebreath
03/10/2013, 03:47 PM

I understand what you are saying, but if they are not providing value added in the form of quality advice then they should not complain if customers decide to purchase at a lesser price from the internet. Either there is a value add or they need to be the low cost provider.

Dr Colliebreath
03/10/2013, 04:08 PM

I imagine most people buy online to get better quality livestock, a better selection of livestock, and a 14 day guarantee. Price isn't the sole motivator.

HumbleFish
03/10/2013, 04:53 PM
I know the owner of a LFS (that's been around for years) who tells all of his customers that he's never had Ich in any of his tanks. He also gets pretty :mad2: if you point out to him a fish in the shop that is showing symptoms. (He doesn't run copper, so it's not hard to spot.)

One day I caught him in the shop after hours, so I just had to ask: "What's the big deal? I think most of your customers understand you can't control it if you get an infected fish from your wholesaler." He really didn't have much of an answer for that. I just don't understand lying about it; everyone knows **** happens...

MrTuskfish
03/10/2013, 05:10 PM
I imagine most people buy online to get better quality livestock, a better selection of livestock, and a 14 day guarantee. Price isn't the sole motivator.

Very true. And customer service.
I know (or know of) many long time aquarists who buy all of their fish online. I can never remember reading from a RC member that they tried one of the better online dealers and won't go back. (Yeah, there's an exception somewhere.) LA hasn't built such a huge customer base because of price; they've done it by being the best there is at what they do.

Khemul
03/11/2013, 02:45 PM
They are in business to make money and if they were smart business people they'd want their new customers to have success keeping their fish instead of selling them stock thats half dead or the destination tank isn't capable of supporting. Then they'd get repeat business instead of a lost customer because that customer got frustrated and gave up the hobby.

Oh it's also called doing business in good faith. You know, where you try to help the customer make the better choice rather than what's just good for a one time sale?
Ideally, yes. All of that is true.

The problem, for the stores is two-fold though. Well, I guess three, but the online-competition seems to hit in a different way then here.

First is that, successful, long-term customers, don't necessarily make the store the most money. Successful tanks don't need lots of new fish and don't need magical potions to fix problems. They simply need food and maybe the occasional addition. A trouble tank requires a constant supply of new fish and products to fix whatever problem is popping up. Yes, eventually the customer will give up and walk away, but not before they've spent MUCH more then the successful tank owner has. Remember, this forum's population are the minority. They are not what the store is making money off of. Often the worst thing for a store is a very knowledgeable customer.

The second problem is simple retail natural selection. For decades the customer has been told they are always right. That the stores owes them service and that they should get whatever they want, when they want. Which means, good luck arguing that what the customer wants isn't in their best interest. It MAY work. More likely they'll just go to another business that will give them whatever they want and shop there instead. So all those good morals and business practices basically work against the store owner. The store that tries to talk its customers out of a sure sale (which is often doing the customer a huge favor) risks losing those customers and the money they would have brought in. The store that assures the customer that whatever they want will work out great (which is effectively ripping off the customer, but good luck convincing the average retailer of that) thrives. And so, over time, natural selection weeds out the stores with good faith, in favor of stores that'll nod and smile while the customer happily hands over their money thinking they've won.

Working in retail is just about enough to destroy one's hope in the future of humanity as a species. :lolspin:
Don't get me wrong. I don't entirely agree, or like the way a lot of stores do business. I avoid a few stores around here because they are just about useless when it comes to healthy fish. I can understand why they do it though, even if I do disagree with it.

D-Nak
03/11/2013, 03:40 PM
It would be nice if stores could post a "People love us on Reef Central" sticker like the Yelp stickers. Granted, there are some idiots who post on Yelp (and this never happens here on RC) but at least it'll encourage customers to read up on the hobby.

ebacon
03/11/2013, 07:36 PM
I don't for a minute advise anyone to get themselves into a situation like mine, in Aus if you are asked to leave a premises and refuse the store must call the police - they can not physically touch you to remove you. Once the police arrive the owner etc must repeat the request in front of the police at which time if you refuse you are now trespassing and can be arrested. I left the store when it got to this ridiculous point rather than wasting police time - they do have much more important things to do than removing me from a LFS and i had no intention of refusing to leave if they were present.
What i did achieved nothing when all is said and done........

Same rules apply in US, only exception is if they have documented proof in writing that you are not allowed and you go anyway.

Dr Colliebreath
03/12/2013, 09:48 AM
Ideally, yes. All of that is true.

The problem, for the stores is two-fold though. Well, I guess three, but the online-competition seems to hit in a different way then here.

First is that, successful, long-term customers, don't necessarily make the store the most money. Successful tanks don't need lots of new fish and don't need magical potions to fix problems. They simply need food and maybe the occasional addition. A trouble tank requires a constant supply of new fish and products to fix whatever problem is popping up. Yes, eventually the customer will give up and walk away, but not before they've spent MUCH more then the successful tank owner has. Remember, this forum's population are the minority. They are not what the store is making money off of. Often the worst thing for a store is a very knowledgeable customer.

The second problem is simple retail natural selection. For decades the customer has been told they are always right. That the stores owes them service and that they should get whatever they want, when they want. Which means, good luck arguing that what the customer wants isn't in their best interest. It MAY work. More likely they'll just go to another business that will give them whatever they want and shop there instead. So all those good morals and business practices basically work against the store owner. The store that tries to talk its customers out of a sure sale (which is often doing the customer a huge favor) risks losing those customers and the money they would have brought in. The store that assures the customer that whatever they want will work out great (which is effectively ripping off the customer, but good luck convincing the average retailer of that) thrives. And so, over time, natural selection weeds out the stores with good faith, in favor of stores that'll nod and smile while the customer happily hands over their money thinking they've won.

Working in retail is just about enough to destroy one's hope in the future of humanity as a species. :lolspin:
Don't get me wrong. I don't entirely agree, or like the way a lot of stores do business. I avoid a few stores around here because they are just about useless when it comes to healthy fish. I can understand why they do it though, even if I do disagree with it.

Good perspective. I frequently think my lfs doesn't make much off me for the reasons you describe.

MrClam
03/12/2013, 10:40 AM
I am finding it hard to support one of my LFS because every time I go in the system with all of their larger fish such as angels, tangs ect is riddled with disease. The system is a series of five largeish tanks that share water. Every single time I have gone into the store there has been at least one dead fish in the system. This past time three fish clearly had velvet and there were four dead fish. This isnt a Petco or anything so I have been disappointed by their lack of quality. So I recently decided to stop waiting and just buy my fish online so I can get them in QT.

eyesinthedrk
03/12/2013, 12:13 PM
what are the results for you online only guys with tangs. ive ordered two, a naso from LA and a powder brown from Blue zoo and neither have lasted long

KafudaFish
03/12/2013, 12:31 PM
A few years ago:

Customer: So what makes it a saltwater tank?
LFSE: The salt.
Customer: Ok so how many clownfish can I add to my tank? 2?
LFSE: Oh no you could add at least 20 to a tank this size easily.
Customer: Really? I saw some dwarf angels I really liked too. They were called flame angels.
LFSE: You could but you would have to remove a few of the clowns but at least 4 would work.
Customer: Ok I guess that is what I will do.
LFSE: So which tank did you pick?
Customer: That one the biocube.
LFSE: Great choice. I will pull one out of stock, bag your fish, and get your water. If you will come with me please I will get the front to ring you up.

A few months ago:
LFSE: Now these fish aren't all going in the same tank together?
Me: No the goldfish are going in a 5 year old 55 and the cory cats are going in a 38.
LFSE: Good because goldfish are very aggressive and will hunt down and kill other fish if you aren't careful.
Me: Oh thanks for the information. I guess that is why my two oscars never bothered my calico fancy goldfish. They were scared they were going to be killed by Ben. He always enjoyed a good tickle when I cleaned the tank.
LFSE: When did you do this?
Me: Um 1987 I think. They lived together until 93 when we had a power out for 3 days and the tank crashed.

Yep.

kabe87
03/12/2013, 01:00 PM
Goldfish are aggresive?

sirreal63
03/12/2013, 01:13 PM
Goldfish are aggresive?

They are in a reef setting.

kabe87
03/12/2013, 01:29 PM
They are in a reef setting.

Now im even more confused:fun5:

MrTuskfish
03/12/2013, 02:51 PM
what are the results for you online only guys with tangs. ive ordered two, a naso from LA and a powder brown from Blue zoo and neither have lasted long

I have more than 10 tangs from LA all for at least 5yrs and all are thriving.

Megatrev62
03/12/2013, 02:57 PM
I have to relate this one. Back in the day I was at a lfs (closed now) and a young fellow was picking up some piranha and was asking about the one that had only one eye. The owner said that's nothing to worry about, "it will grow back". Unbelieveable but true story!!!

jrp1588
03/12/2013, 03:21 PM
I've seen fish regrow whole fins, but an eye is just dumb. Wish I had millions so I could OP Penn my own store and not care if I pull a profit our not

eyesinthedrk
03/12/2013, 04:19 PM
Wait... fish are wet?

Not the one i fund on my carpet the other morning