PDA

View Full Version : Biopellets wont tumble

Crazyfingerz
03/10/2013, 02:05 AM
I recently changed from the npx bio pellets to a new brand (not sure of the name but its white like little balls) the problem is these bio pellets wint timble in my 2 little fishes 150 reactor. I tried it with numerous pumps and it just wont seem to tumble except for the surface where i am getting little tumbling. The reactor is 1/3 filled with media. What are my immediate options.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

rocride
03/10/2013, 10:09 AM
it might help if you can name the brand of pellets you're using.

Those reactors aren't a great design for pellets and if they won't tumble now then there's no chance once they get loaded with bacteria.

I have seen where people have removed the bottom screen and just ran the down tube to the bottom for more flow.Search google for TLF 150 pellet mods or similar.

I have a TLF 550 with 1000ml of pellets and a Mag 7 pump and I have done a few modifications to try and get things tumbling,the only thing that worked for me was removing both screens,drilled a hole on the bottom of the reactor,tapped in a 90 degree 1/2" fitting and used a silicon funnel to allow the pellets to tumble with no dead spots.
I drilled the hole to a size that when I pulled the nipple of the funnel through the hole in the bottom of the reactor the 90 degree fitting threaded into the funnel tightly using the funnel nipple as a gasket for the hole I drilled in the reactor.With a little trimming of the funnels top diameter it is exactly the same as the reactor,nice fit.

I plugged the original input hole and made a small strainer for the output.Works awesome,I can set any rate of tumbling from a slow boil to pushing the pellets against the top cover.I have a control valve between the pump and the 90 degree fitting.

pellets will get heavier as they load with bacteria so factor for that

cheers

Crazyfingerz
03/10/2013, 10:26 AM
Can you post some pics of your mod

bnumair
03/10/2013, 10:55 AM
I have a reef octopus biopellet reactor. It quit tumbling pellets after changing media. The pvc pipe running down from top to bottom in the center had a one way flow valve in it that got clogged. I took it apart cleaned it thoroughly and put it back together. Never failed after that. Works like a charm. Just a suggestion

MARINECRITTERS
03/10/2013, 11:07 AM
Are you using the proper screen, the foam ones would resist flow. The reactors best suited for bio pellets are the ones that the input is on the bottom, you get better flow then. If the pellets are established ( yours are not if you just started them ), then the clumping can lead to hydrogen sulphide formation, you will be able to smell "eggs" if that happens.
While this is somewhat of topic, do you run a protein skimmer?, not only do you need the extra oxygenation but the only way to truly remove the nutrients is to skim out the biofilm.

rocride
03/10/2013, 11:12 AM
i didn't take any pictures but the description should lay it out?

my original plan was to use a 2L soda bottle as the funnel part but bought the funnel as an option.The silicon funnel is softer and takes the shape of the reactor perfectly.
The funnel is now the bottom of the reactor so to speak with the flow coming up through it from the bottom.I wanted it to function like the cadlights reactor.

marinecritters makes a cpl good fyi points....the pellets have to be fluidized with no dead spots and the out flow of the pellet reactor should go directly into your skimmer intake.Not close to it but into it,from what I've been told.I installed a simple manifold on my skimmer intake and hooked up my pellet reactor outflow directly to that.

Crazyfingerz
03/10/2013, 11:26 AM
I just finished with the mod based on a youtube vid. Its working like a charm. Thanks for the suggestions guys

rocride
03/10/2013, 11:35 AM
cool but just so you know since you are now blasting the pellets against the bottom of the reactor it will (could) wear thin and leak,(erosion caused by the pellets),not great if you're running an external mount,I doubt this happens quickly but others have posted instances of this happening.

Crazyfingerz
03/10/2013, 11:56 AM
Well to be a little safe i would eventually put the reactor on the inside of the sump