PDA

View Full Version : *Help* New to all of this

Geradmg513
03/10/2013, 09:19 AM
I have had a freshwater aquarium for awhile now and I decided to make the switch to saltwater. I have a 56 gallon column style tank, Marineland Double-bright leds, 200w Hydor Theo heater, Rena XP2 Canister filter with different media etc. For right now I am just wanting to do fish and live rock. Yesterday I cleaned out my tank and got all the freshwater stuff out and then last night I put in live sand and live rock and started filling up the tank with my pre-mixed saltwater. The sand instantly clouded the tank to the point I really can't see in it. I figured it's probably normal since the sand has to settle. I turned on the heater so the water stays at the correct temp but the tank is still very very cloudy as of this morning and I can't see inside of it. Is this normal? Does this mean the sand is still settling and it should clear up? If so how long should I wait? I have also yet to turn on the filter so I was wondering should I wait until the tank water clears up before turning on the filter? Ok my last question. My filter is a canister filter and it has various media in it. Would I be ok to rinse it off and put it back in or should I use fresh media since I went from freshwater to salt water. I am not planning on adding fish any time soon I just want to make sure I am doing everything correctly.

Denbf58
03/10/2013, 10:00 AM
dump all the media you can run the filter with floss to remove some of the silt from the sand put in your rock and let the tank cycle. read the treads at the top of new to hobby [welcome]

Denbf58
03/10/2013, 10:02 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1031074

OrQidz
03/10/2013, 11:45 AM
that's a nice tank for SW, I think you will be happy. Do lots of research. Starting with FOWLR is good I think so you don't have to go all out upgrading lights and such.