PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Shelf Stable Phyto and Zooplankton

JohnV8r
03/10/2013, 12:10 PM
Does anyone know of any reason why it would create a problem if I were to mix Brightwell ZooPlanktos and Brightwell PhytoGreen to create a solution to automatically dose? Neither one requires refrigeration.

I know people that automatically dose them individually, but I'm wondering if there is any reason why they could not or should not be mixed.

capt85
03/10/2013, 01:29 PM
It would not be a good idea because zoo plankton eats phytoplankton. By the time you dosed it your would only have zoo plankton left.

bertoni
03/10/2013, 06:38 PM
I suspect that mixing them would be okay for short periods, at least. They're both preserved (dead) foods? I might worry about how well the preservatives would work for longer periods. You could ask the manufacturer. Do they list the preservatives?

JohnV8r
03/10/2013, 11:43 PM
Here is about as close as I think I am going to get to identifying the preservatives:

Ingredients: Purified water, copepods of the order Cyclopoida (zooplankton), Proprietary amino acids, Ascorbic acid, and Citric acid.

Overview
•Provides zooplankton ranging in size from 500 - 1,000µm (1mm).
•Ideally-sized for many stony corals, clams, tube worms, larval crustaceans, juvenile fishes, and adult planktivorous and fishes that prey on micro-invertebrates.
•Does not require refrigeration.
•Supplemented with a proprietary amino acid to aid in coloration of invertebrates and fishes.

Technical Background
Brightwell Aquatics Zooplanktos-M is a concentrated suspension of copepods, a group of zooplankton heavily preyed upon by various aquatic organisms because of their size. The specific variety of copepods present in Zooplanktos-M are extremely rich in amino acids, Omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins, and numerous carotenoid pigments, making them of exceptional nutritional value to the organisms that they are consumed by. These copepods fall within the mesoplankton (200.0 - 2,000.0µm) class of plankton. They are the proper size for feeding many species of stony corals (large- and small-polyp), as well as clams and other bivalves, plumed worms (Christmas tree worms, feather dusters, etc.), larval crustaceans and bivalves, juvenile fishes, and the adults of planktivorous fishes (such as anthias, basslets, pseudochromids, dartfishes, chromis, etc.) and microinvertebrate-predators (such as mandarin fishes, some gobies, dwarf wrasses, etc.).

Though Zooplanktos-M provides a number of amino acids, one that is not naturally present has been added; this proprietary amino acid has been shown in studies to increase coloration of corals and other marine invertebrates. Additionally, a small percentage of Vitamin-C is present to increase the benefits of Zooplanktos-M, particularly to corals and their allies that have recently undergone fragmenting or propagation.

Zooplanktos-M may be used in conjunction with other planktonic suspensions to provide a complete range of sizes to filter feeding and planktivorous organisms.

Zooplanktos-M does not require refrigeration. However, storage in a cool, shaded area will prolong the activity of the vitamins. Refrigeration will maximize the shelf life of the product.

marke
03/11/2013, 07:11 AM
Have you or your friends using this stuff seen positive results? Or is it to early to say?

JohnV8r
03/11/2013, 09:51 AM
I got this from Chris Brightwell this morning:

"Thank you for your inquiry. All of our planktonic suspensions are compatible when mixed in the same dosing vessel; they cannot be diluted with water, however, without risk of spoilage."

JohnV8r
03/11/2013, 10:04 AM
@Marke: I have had very positive results with both sps and lps growth using Reef Nutrition's PhytoFeast and OysterFeast. They have been great products for my clams and sponges as well.

However, both of those products require refrigeration and have a short shelf life. This means I cannot automate the feeding process with them. The irregularity of manually dosing those items 2-3 times a week means there is a spike in my nutrient level, which causes my nitrates and phosphates to go up slightly.

By dosing smaller amounts of shelf stable foods 2-4 times per day with a dosing pump, I hope to eliminate the spikes and keep a more steady amount of food in my system that does not cause any issues with nitrates and phosphates.

The people that I know that are automatically dosing PhytoGreen are happy with the results. I would like to dose both PhytoGreen and ZooPlanktos.

bertoni
03/11/2013, 08:42 PM
Okay, that sounds reasonable to me.