PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing used 120g - glue slip bulkhead?

llebcire
03/10/2013, 09:35 PM
I'm setting up a used 120g RR that I picked up locally and am unsure of how to attach the drain and returns to the bulkhead.

Looks like a standard OEM style bulkhead that's slip - I know it was used before but I can't figure out how the previous owner had it plumbed as there's no PVC glued to it. A quick trip to Lowes and Menards tonight and schedule 40 plumbing seems to have different threads (sloppy) if I use a female reducer.

Do many of you glue then use a union for the return? I've used them on drains before but am a little unsure if they'll handle the pressure as the return is an Iwaki 55RLT.

Thanks for your input and feel free to ask clarifying questions if I left something out.

-Eric

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/llebcire/72%20Bowfront/20130310_214435.jpg

Picture is showing one return (3/4") and one drain (1")

speedo2wet
06/12/2013, 04:02 PM
Good question as I have been wondering myself. looks like most will glue in hard pipe. Return line: flex tubing connected to barb fitting and same for drain. Or hard plumb them all. It's up to you really. you could glue in a piece of pipe with a barb fitting on it.

greg1786
06/12/2013, 04:54 PM
On my 125 i bought two rubber reducer couplings at hd. One end fits snug over the bulkhead and the other end reduces down to 3/4" but they come in whatever size you need. Then just slip your drain line into the coupling and as you tighten the screws it tightends the clamps around the coupling. Ive had those on my 125 for about 4 months with zero issue. Theyre nice because if you need to take it aparat for any reason they are easily disconnected

ca1ore
06/12/2013, 07:54 PM
Not sure exactly what you are asking. Do you mean how to connect piping to the part of the bulkhead that protrudes through the bottom of the tank? Frankly I'd be inclined to buy two bulkheads that are threaded and then use pipe with male fittings. Otherwise you'd have to glue PVC into the bulkhead - curious tho, wonder how the prior owner did it. You don't really want to use a reducer bushing on the drain as it will reduce the amount of water that the pipe will handle.

Dr Colliebreath
06/12/2013, 09:49 PM
I got 1" and 3/4" connectors that were threaded (mpt) on one end and slip (female) on the other end so I could remove them from the bulkhead if I want. I glued a short piece of pipe into the slip (female) end and glued a union to it. I screwed the mpt end into the bulkhead using pipe thread tape. Use both primer and glue on your glue joints.

Test everything for approximate fit before gluing and keep the inside pipes higher than the outside ones. I had to use 45 and 90 degree elbows to get mine to fit.

This way, I can remove the piping at the unions and unscrew the rest from the bulkhead.

johnwick
06/13/2013, 08:53 AM
My advice would be to start with new bulkheads and pipe. They are relatively inexpensive and you would hate for a leak due to old, used up bulkheads. Think of how important they are.....

Are you asking if you should use slip and not thread? I would use threaded.