PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions on a cube?

Gagonzalez
03/12/2013, 05:46 PM
I currently have a JBJ 28g Nano and am very disappointed in the quality. I had my original for about 9 months and then water started to bubble inside the black plastic on the side. JBJ sent a replacement and it broke in shipping. They sent a 2nd and I finally got everything transferred over and 1 week later, same thing, bubbling on the side. I even ignored the bad 2" polishing job they did on a side panel of the glass. And to top it off, there is a leak somewhere in the 3 center chambers because the water level drops in those chambers randomly and I have to stop the pumps and re-start them again to start the overflow to the outside chambers again. But the right side chamber never overflows! Great! Contacted JBJ again and they are sending out yet another tank.

Honestly, this is very bad quality control and after all the work of transferring all my fish, corals, getting the rock layout back together, new sand, water, etc.....there isn't much they can do but send out a new tank that may or may not work again. This is not the response I wanted to hear.

Sorry for the rant but I am extremely frustrated with JBJ! Never again! :mad2:

But back to my question. After talking to my wife, we are planning on moving to a new home in a few months and she agrees we need another much more reliable tank. I was thinking about the following:

- Glasscages 45G 24x24x18 Glass Rimless with Overflow.
- Newly Built stand by me.
- 20g Sump? (Would anything else work better? Want a decent refugium.)
- Existing TLF 150 Reactor w/Phosban
- New TLF 150 Reactor w/Carbon
- Current JBJ ATO
- 2 New Ecotech MP10's (Should I use 1 MP40 instead?)
- Existing Aquamax HOB-1 Skimmer
- New 160w Maxspect Razor or Kessil A350
- Existing Heater, Heater controller, etc....

Does anyone have any recommendations for the tank other than glasscages? I have heard good and bad.

Would the Aquamaxx HOB-1 be ok? Should I get a different in sump skimmer?

Any other suggestions? Thanks everyone!

Reefmedic79
03/12/2013, 05:49 PM
I personally prefer in sump skimmers. If your building the stand, have you thought of oversizing the stand to fit a larger sump in it, this should give you more room for a skimmer and a larger fuge. I would choose to MP10's over one 40.

SteviesReef
03/12/2013, 05:59 PM
Are you dead set on a cube? Have you considered a 40 breeder? I'm moving from a JBJ28 to breeder because of the footprint.

bnumair
03/12/2013, 08:31 PM
i never really cared or handle the jbj cubes. i sold mine in few months. anyways, why a cube?

thegrun
03/12/2013, 08:44 PM
I've been very happy with my CAD Lights 50 gallon cube. Two MP-10's will provide plenty of flow, MP-40's would be too much flow. I only run the MP-10's at 70%. Here is my 50:
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu262/greenirons/50%20Cube/50Cube002.jpg
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu262/greenirons/50%20Cube/Aquarium10-22-12001.jpg

Gagonzalez
03/13/2013, 05:33 PM
I really like the cube look so I am sticking with a cube. Also like the footprint better than a 40 Breeder tank. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into a Cad Lights 50. Looks pretty much like what I want.

Cloudburst2000
03/14/2013, 02:02 AM
If you want the nicest tanks out there, then look at the Elos tanks. I'd look at their 36g Midi which comes with everything (tank, stand, sump, skimmer, pump). You will pay for Elos tanks though. They are like the Ferrari of aquariums. Extremely high quality with great customer service. They have a section in the vendor section of this forum. They have lots of posts there of where people showcase their setups. You can check out some to see if you like them.

Also, I have heard alot of negative reviews about glasscages so I would be very wary about purchasing a tank from them. You might want to do a search for glasscages reviews on this site. You might be surprised at what you find. After reading about them, there is no way I would ever buy a tank from them. They seem to be very hit or miss, and if it's a miss, then it seems to be hard to get them to correct the problem.

fijisrfr
03/14/2013, 03:35 AM
Check out clear diamond aquariums. They make nice cubes. I have a 24x24x20 50 gal starfire cube from them, great workmanship & prices. Steer clear of glass cages. I run one mp-10 & it's plenty of flow.

staindsoul
03/14/2013, 03:59 AM
Check out clear diamond aquariums. They make nice cubes. I have a 24x24x20 50 gal starfire cube from them, great workmanship & prices. Steer clear of glass cages. I run one mp-10 & it's plenty of flow.

+1 on 1 mp10. I have 1 mp10 on a 60 and only have dialed a 1/2 way up and have great flow. You really would be wasting money on 2, IMO.

Crusinjimbo
03/14/2013, 05:29 AM
I use 1 MP10 in my 60 cube and generally run reef crest at 40-60%. Works for my light loaded tank.