PDA

View Full Version : Whats your take on Odyssa lights

Dfwnoob
03/13/2013, 08:06 AM
I got there 20 inch light fixture for my 10 g tank . Saw a lot of mix reviews but kinda old a few years back ... What do you guys think about them ?

rtparty
03/13/2013, 08:11 AM
Cheap Chinese crap. You will spend more than you paid for the fixture just to get some decent bulbs.

Getting the good stuff up front is much cheaper in the long run.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

jsbaker
03/13/2013, 10:16 AM
They are still crap. I thought the same exact thing you did about the reviews being a few years old and took my chances. Bought a 36" T5HO dual bulb setup last summer and had a ballast meltdown within 4 months that would have burned down something it the ballast wasn't in a metal case.

bnumair
03/13/2013, 10:24 AM
cheap and catch on fire. ballast dont last long bulbs are low grade, units run really really hot.

Dfwnoob
03/13/2013, 10:34 AM
Yea I got mines yesterday but left them on this morning left with worries and went back in to turn them off and just put back the standard t8 that came with the stock hood . Looking into the par30 from boostled price seems fair and might be better and safer .

Megatrev62
03/13/2013, 11:45 AM
Garbage. Bought a power compact back a few years ago and the bulbs were total garbage. Price most times = get what you pay for. Listen to the experts here, they know what they're talking about. I'm certainly not in that category, but have faith in those that are!!!

Reeferz412
03/13/2013, 11:54 AM
Their newer fixtures are decent. A good back up if anything. I had one I used until I saved more money and bought a better fixture (quad 24 in t5). The whole "they catch on fire" story was like 7 years ago. And that could happen to any fixture and they addressed the issue. But I agree, it is poor quality and you get what you pay for (one big piece of reflector not individual, sometimes bad wiring, and super poor quality bulbs that you will have to pay more than the fixture it self to replace). Never buy their power compacts, something is seriously wrong with the wiring on those things.

I had my fixture running for about 7-8 months with no problems and resold it. Their t5s and MH's are pretty good IME. I have another buddy who has had one of their halides for two years with no problems. Of course as I stated, their stock bulbs are T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E

E Rosewater
03/13/2013, 11:59 AM
Had a T5 ballast blow in 4 months.

MBMtech
03/13/2013, 12:06 PM
Been using a 36" t5 four bulb unit for almost 2 years now. Stock bulbs are crap. Running 4 ATI bulbs in it. Has been working fine. But, I am replacing them with a LED unit from reefbreeders.

Dfwnoob
03/13/2013, 12:48 PM
Yea just reading reviews gives me worry to leave them on during the time I'm not home . Might use them for a bit then switch to boostled par 30 lights .

Rustafar
03/13/2013, 05:48 PM
My Odyssea 4 X 54 watt W/timer blew a ballast in 2 months and fried the bulbs,
Replaced both ballasts with sylvania ballasts.Lights are brighter too. should get more life out of it now.
Now waiting for my Leds to blow. Lol. It's true these lights are crap.

cjr579
03/13/2013, 06:04 PM
I had the 20" MH on a nano cube. Worked fine by me. Upgraded the bulb and added some PC bulbs inside the fixture.