PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Clownfish - do they vary across species?

DeadDuck
03/13/2013, 12:13 PM
Hello all,

Previously, we owned 2 Allardi Clownfish. It came as quite a shock when I came down one night to find the female lying on her side at the bottom of the tank! However, she was just sleeping and soon woke up. (I honestly can't remember if I ever saw the male do that or not.)

Now, we recently got some juvenile Ocellaris Clownfish. In order to "spruce up" the tank, we also purchased a new "Moon light" LED system for night time. However, we've never seen the clownfish "sleeping" in the same manner as the Allardi did. They always seem to be swimming (or maybe "hovering", I don't remember).

My wife suggested turning off the moon light when we go to bed. I did look last night and I thought I still saw them hovering? Are they not sleeping or are they sleeping in a different way? Should we shut off the moon light when we go to bed? I'm concerned that they're sleep deprived and we're torturing them with the lights. :)

Thanks for the help!

worm5406
03/13/2013, 02:30 PM
HAHAHA....

When i had chromis they would go to the bottom and hover in a corner. You would see one spooked some times when a shrimp touched one.

My clowns hover in/on/around their anemone. If they were not aclimated to one they stayed a fin distance away from a rock and just hovered.

My Tangs... They curl up with a rock and snuggle all night. Or a power head cover (yeah true story) or an overflow drain.

In nature the waves/current do not stop just for some fish to push the snooze button again.

DeadDuck
03/13/2013, 05:11 PM
Haha - ok ... I feel a little better. One definitely hangs in this little gap between the sand and some overhanging rock and he parks himself (well, "itself") there for the evening. (Our tank is too small and/or I'm too inexperienced for an anenome.) The other was found hanging at the top of the tank.

Thanks for the response!

OrionN
03/14/2013, 12:13 AM
I got several hundred babies Percula and PerculaXOcellaris. At night about 10% or so lay on the floor of the tank to sleep. Some right side up, other laying on their side. They woke up when the light come on.

Ted_C
03/14/2013, 07:48 AM
My Davinci clowns never seem to sleep. I have my moonlights off from 3 AM to 7 AM (and right now they are completely off due to New Moon Phase) so the tank is dark from 8:30 PM to 7:00 AM. They stick in a corner and just swim up and down the corner all night long.

The chromis sleep inside of my Pukani rock and are invisible when in there.

I haven't figured out where the mccokser sleeps - but about 15 minutes before sunset - he's gone.

The bangaii seems to sleep during the day and becomes more active at night munching on a few pods or the late night feeding of bloodworms I give it.

I haven't really observed the Helrichi firefish I have - it stays pretty much in the same part of the tank - suspended - day and night as far as I can tell.