PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected new corral....

whodeydan76
03/13/2013, 03:21 PM
Hey guys. I just started working at our only saltwater friendly lfs in the immediate area 2 days ago... well last night the marine fish came in... (powder blue, blue stripe clown, leopard grouper, true perc clowns, maroon clowns, achilies tang, clown tang, niger trigger, a cpl emrald crabs, foxface, long nose butterfly to name a few...great looking shipment) anyway this young guy ordered a few corrals and they came in... we told him they had to be picked up by the end of business today but he never showed so my boss sent them both home with me... from what I can tell they are a frog spawn and some type of anem... im not sure what kind tho. When I added them to my tank last night I put the anem in the substate foot down, this am he had moved all over lol hes head down in my rockwork in the pic. I have never seen one do anything like this lol I am just wanting to know if what I have is frog spawn and what type of anem... I have a couple mushrooms on a plug (orange and a blue) and another single rock with some xenia a buddy gave me. Its totally seperate from the rest of my rockwork.

whodeydan76
03/13/2013, 03:23 PM
I paid our cost of $10 for the soft corral and the anem... I thought that was a pretty good deal.

Cstaricansrfer1
03/13/2013, 04:53 PM
The last pic looks like a toadstool leather.

jrp1588
03/13/2013, 05:01 PM
I see no anemone or frogspawn. I see a mushroom, some xenia, and I'm not sure what the third is. Probably a leather as the previous posted said. I don't do leathers.

Khemul
03/13/2013, 05:31 PM
The third one looks like a recently fragged Toadstool. And possibly a small split from a parent colony. The fourth is definitely a Toadstool.

whodeydan76
03/13/2013, 05:34 PM
lmao!!! forgot the anem... toadstool frogspawn... lol whats the diff. haha I had the names confused. sorry guys/gals. Ill add a pic of the anem

Bigcefa
03/13/2013, 05:44 PM
Welp you do work in a fish store so you should learn this stuff meow :)

aandfsoccr04
03/13/2013, 05:47 PM
There's a very big difference. Toadstools are soft corals and frogspawns are LPS. I don't see an anemone in any of your pictures either.

Krazie4Acans
03/13/2013, 05:49 PM
The first one is mushrooms, the second looks like pink star polyp (xenia has a single stock which I can't see in pic), the rest are toadstool leathers. No anem in the pics I see.

jrp1588
03/13/2013, 05:57 PM
The first one is mushrooms, the second looks like pink star polyp (xenia has a single stock which I can't see in pic), the rest are toadstool leathers. No anem in the pics I see.

Didn't think of that. The tentacles do have that sort of...toothy look like star polyps have. Hard to tell though from that picture. I just figured it was an angry deflated xenia.

aandfsoccr04
03/13/2013, 05:58 PM
Furthermore, this is why the local fish stores get villified on these forums for the guy that asked the question a week or two ago. Here's your friendly LFS employee that can't ID a coral from an anemone and then says it's not a big difference....
:facepalm:

whodeydan76
03/13/2013, 06:04 PM
one two three im a dipshi..... lol here is the first pic of the anem when I put it in the tank.. and the second is now. It seems to have found a home. :thumbsup:

Khemul
03/13/2013, 06:05 PM
In fairness, I think he was just laughing off his mistake.

While one may think it'd be difficult to confuse softies and LPS, there are plenty of threads in the soft coral forums about Euphyllia's.

But in reference to the (most likely not serious) question of what is the difference between Toadstool and Frogspawn... Blast one directly with a really powerful powerhead and it gets annoyed. The other get ripped in half. :bounce2:

whodeydan76
03/13/2013, 06:12 PM
read my reply above.. I said I forgot the pic of the anem. Toadstool...my bad. I am sorry I am an idiot and posted the wrong name... ban me from the site.. from posting whatever. The fact that I work at a lfs is a big deal but I did just start 3 days ago... worked at another lfs for a year but we only got corral in when special ordered. This anemone and TOADSTOOL is the same story. Special order.
That being said I do pretty good with water quality questions, equipment questions, compatibility questions,...ect.

whodeydan76
03/13/2013, 06:16 PM
khemul thank you and you are correct I was 100% kidding and trying to make the "grave mistake of calling a corral by the wrong name... when each one has 14 different names to begin with) a laughing matter.

Ill try to keep my obviously stupid comments to myself and refrain from posting any comments so I dont mislead anyone.... smh

Khemul
03/13/2013, 07:02 PM
khemul thank you and you are correct I was 100% kidding and trying to make the "grave mistake of calling a corral by the wrong name... when each one has 14 different names to begin with) a laughing matter.

Ill try to keep my obviously stupid comments to myself and refrain from posting any comments so I dont mislead anyone.... smh

Could have been worse. The next logical point for the error to have come up would be weeks from now when the question "Is my Frogspawn supposed to be shedding its skin like this?" comes up, which gets an ENTIRELY different response then it would with the right name. :lmao:

Don't worry about the responses. Some people take things way too seriously. Not sure on your anemone, you may need some better pictures of it. Maybe a Sebae? They often come in in that color (not necessarily a good thing)...

whodeydan76
03/13/2013, 07:26 PM
lol thanks again. I totally looked like an idiot but.. ya know that happens from time to time. I have seen that type of anemone before. Its tenatvles are white with an almost light green tint under actinics. The base has always been that pinkish orange color from what I have seen. I will see if I can get a better pic as the anem moves around...im sure it will.

paulywog0667
03/13/2013, 07:38 PM
Looks like a sebea. Or long tentacle nem. Kinda hard to tell from the pic. The color of the foot through me off. The third one looks like a leather to me. Not a toadstool but one that kinda grows like an acorn instead of a flat top. Same principle for the two leathers.

jrp1588
03/13/2013, 08:24 PM
Paulywog eh? At you the Paulywog I know?

worm5406
03/13/2013, 08:42 PM
Wait... Why are these not in your QT??

flatworms.... little red bugs... onomonopia

dastowers
03/14/2013, 06:56 AM
Coral.....not corral.

username in use
03/14/2013, 08:21 AM
That Anemone is rather bleached looking. I think you will be facing an uphill battle with it. It buried its foot in the rock, which it should do.

You are going to need to feed it regularly to help it recover.

PAnanoguy
03/14/2013, 09:36 AM
Condylactis Anemone maybe?

Khemul
03/14/2013, 01:35 PM
Condylactis Anemone maybe?
That is a strong possibility for it.

The tentacles look a little short, but the price he paid is about right for it to be a Condy. If it is then it is extremely bleached, since even a moderately bleached Condy often still has colored tips.

paulywog0667
03/14/2013, 01:37 PM
Paulywog eh? At you the Paulywog I know?
Yes sir.
The nem isn't bleached. There is a difference between tissue damage and spotting. I had a green with white spots bubble tip nem that was as healthy as can be. Split a ton of times. Occasional small particle foods for them. Looked stressed in the first pick, but looks good in the second one. Did someone buy a spotted nem and kill it? There can be bad spotting and good. I would imagine the bad white spots wouldn't be an actual part of the nem. I guess one could get fried by a light. Would probably look like bad sunburn.

jrp1588
03/14/2013, 03:20 PM
Hmm, didn't know you had an RC account there Paul. Only 10 posts in a year? Better step your game up.haha

Michigan Mike
03/14/2013, 04:51 PM
The original pics, the third pic kinda looks like a devil's hand leather while the fourth is a toadstool.

whodeydan76
03/14/2013, 05:13 PM
worm... I dipped these in coral rx. All were dipped x2 and then a clean rinse before entering the tank. Sorry about the double r in coral. My phone autocorrects to that. I already changed it in the dictionary.
The anem is white with a green hue to the tentacles. I will have to move a rock that is shading it to get a better pic. I will then post said pic or pics that I get.
Today I had one of the two mushrooms in the first pic come up missing? It is just plain missing off of the piece of rock it was attached to? I looked all around but its gone. hmmm peculiar.

MondoBongo
03/14/2013, 05:51 PM
Unless someone ate the shroom it probably just detached and moved somewhere else. Mine are surprisingly mobile.

worm5406
03/14/2013, 09:29 PM
worm... I dipped these in coral rx. All were dipped x2 and then a clean rinse before entering the tank. Sorry about the double r in coral. My phone autocorrects to that. I already changed it in the dictionary.
The anem is white with a green hue to the tentacles. I will have to move a rock that is shading it to get a better pic. I will then post said pic or pics that I get.

Very nice... I figured you did... Just wanted to play the advocate... ;)

SushiGirl
03/15/2013, 12:18 AM
Watch any coral that can close up (like zoas) for flatworms & stuff after you dip. We dipped in 2 different dips AND quarantined some zoas from our 55 for our 20, and they wouldn't all open up in the QT the entire time they were in there (crap lights). When we finally got them into the 20 and they all opened up, the flatworms came out of them like ladies out of cakes. Surprise! :lol:

I'll never forgive the local club guy who gave us flatworm laden chaeto in trade for dragon's breath algae :debi:, nor myself for not being able to see them when I combed through it for pests before putting it in the fuge :headwally:. Unsightly little buggers.

worm5406
03/15/2013, 07:30 AM
I agree sushi... I had a few a while ago when I was on my 120. (of course they never really dissapear without something major) When I moved everything to the new 180 I did quick looks.

I have since siphoned about 10+ and I think they came from some of my polyps... But I can not confirm...

whodeydan76
03/15/2013, 04:15 PM
Worm thanks man... I have been trying to do it right this time around :) Sushi.. thats crazy. Mine were 90% open when I dipped... So I just have to pray that I didnt have any worms in the polyps that were closed.
I added a button polyp rock actually 2 that were from a friends tank.. both dipped. Attaching a pic.

Gotta love how my cleaner wrasses sneaks in almost every pic... lol

#1 button polyp #2 same, #3 anemone hiding, #4 anemone uncovered, #5 what I was told was a colt corral... from the guy that gave it to me.. I have no idea if that is the correct identification. The anem is very ellusive picture wise.. It is a beautiful light green color.. My mh makes it look white or even bleached.

whodeydan76
03/15/2013, 04:21 PM
Latest tank pic. Dont mind the adidas next to the tank and the bag of cheato (sp) stuck to the side.. lol I am in the process of building a hang on the inside of the sump fuge and wanted to keep this stuff alive.

foundnemo11
03/15/2013, 04:26 PM
im going with condy

PAnanoguy
03/16/2013, 06:42 AM
for #5 I would say it looks more like Capnella Sp. than a Colt (Cladiella Sp.)

Khemul
03/16/2013, 10:29 AM
It's a pain to tell the tree corals apart when they are small frags. So many of them look the same when the growth pattern hasn't set in yet. That said, that does look just like the clippings I take off my Kenya Tree (Capnella).

bills tank
03/16/2013, 10:50 AM
In the first set of pics the second pic is anthellia or some call it waving hand and the nem is a condy . Thatnem will probably move around all the time

Steve175
03/16/2013, 11:09 AM
I agree with the Condy call. It does look a little bleached: I would feed it meaty frozen (defrosted and rinsed of course): place pieces onto its sticky tentacles and it will take it from there (do not force into/near the mouth). Nice additions!

aries426
03/16/2013, 01:41 PM
+1 Condy

whodeydan76
03/21/2013, 08:48 PM
Thinking of removing this anemone to my qt for the time being until I can rehome it...I'm blaming it for a couple deaths my tank had in 24 hours (otherwise healthy as can be and checks out great on parameters) will it stay alive without light? I think I can find it a home fairly quick but I don't trust it...

biggles
03/22/2013, 01:25 AM
The anemone will die without good lighting so best find it a new home rather than place it in an unlit QT for too long.

Palting
03/22/2013, 06:42 AM
Condy anemones require strong lighting, likely won't survive a tank without light.

You can always take it back to the LFS you work at, right?

whodeydan76
03/22/2013, 07:28 PM
Ok just decided to hang on to it for a while.. (in my dt) I cant take it back to work because they only special order coral and do not have a place to keep them with adequate lighting and flow to keep them alive. I cant blame the anem if I am not sure.. I had a lta in my 75 and never had any issues with it at all. Are the different types of anems that different? I am kinda new to anems if you cant tell lol