PDA

View Full Version : New sump advice please

jbraslins
03/13/2013, 04:43 PM
So the sump that came with my tank is pretty nice, but it's not perfect.

Here's a pic and questions below:

http://www.cryohold.com/pics/Fish%20Tank/125g/02-sump/sump.jpg

I marked up the obvious design that would work with this sump. But i have some concerns:
- To much flow through fuge
- Fuge getting water after skimmer with potentially less nutrients
- Fuge walls not being high enough and pods etc escaping too easily through that plastic mesh
- Fuge not being high enough for DSB and/or good amount of cheato
- No bubble traps

So the questions:

Bubble trap:
---------------
- Is it worth the effort to add some bubble traps now?
- Where can I source the glass and silicone to add bubble trap baffles? Please include links if possible.
- Any special tools I need?

Fuge not getting enough nutrients:
-------------------------------------
- What if i split return in two and diverted some flow directly into refugium so it gets "dirty" water? Is it better? Or not worse it and dumping into skimmer section is good enough?

Overal layout:
-------------------
- Any other ideas on how to set this up?
- If i am gonna do baffles, maybe I can split existing fuge section in half via a vertical divider, and extend walls of one of the new compartments creating a taller fuge with separate flow (skimmer section would overflow into one compartment, but not new taller fuge).

Thanks!

jbraslins
03/14/2013, 06:16 AM
Bump. Anyone? :)

buk
03/14/2013, 07:45 AM
if you are worried about too much flow through the fuge you could close off part of the overflow wall so water would only flow straight through a portion of the fuge leaving the rest to dwell longer.

buk
03/14/2013, 07:47 AM
personally if it were me i'd make the section you have labeled for skimmer the fuge and vise versa. just add a small pump to pump into the far corner of the fuge and let it back flow into the skimmer chamber. that way you can control your desired flow into the fuge without impeding the rest of the sump.

jbraslins
03/14/2013, 11:31 AM
personally if it were me i'd make the section you have labeled for skimmer the fuge and vise versa. just add a small pump to pump into the far corner of the fuge and let it back flow into the skimmer chamber. that way you can control your desired flow into the fuge without impeding the rest of the sump.

I thought about that. Problem is that section has 6" water level, where first section has 9". Wonder if my Vertex 150 would work ok in 6".

2FunKids
03/14/2013, 03:40 PM
It looks like a very nice sump to me...I would try it before replacing it...I found that it takes a lot of flow over the top of a refugium to send bubbles to the other side...I also like the mesh...that is good if you want critters in your fuge..