PDA

View Full Version : RBTA's spawned

hillscp
03/13/2013, 11:33 PM
Tonight I noticed my tank looked cloudy so I went and looked closely. One of my RBTA's was shrunk up and I noticed a cloud of "smoke" coming out of its mouth. I tried to get some video. Then I noticed another one shrinking and it started puffing too.

Is this very rare?

Since they are all clones are they all the same sex?

You can see the puffs at about 30 seconds especially if you change to 720 HD. Clouded up the tank pretty good and the skimmer went a tad crazy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/M1KITGoi2PI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ostara
03/14/2013, 01:58 AM
It seems to happen when people have multiple specimens of quadricolors (or other anemones) together. Are the clones all from the same original anemone or are there different varieties in there?

My magnificas spawned last summer. It ended up being a PITA because the tank they used to be in was sumpless and a hermit happened to crawl into the HOB skimmer and block it at the same time. Without the skimmer pulling stuff out I lost almost every single fish. :facepalm:

hillscp
03/14/2013, 06:46 AM
Thanks,

The water is better this morning and the fish look fine. They are all clones of the same specimen I got around two years ago. Right now there are seven. I look for opportunities to snag them and take them to the lfs for store credit. They take up almost the entire left third of my 6' 125 :(. Any words if wisdom about getting them to let go? I have tried aiming power heads at them without success.

Big Dave PDX
03/14/2013, 01:52 PM
Get them usually isn't too tough, but depends if you can take the rock out. Obviously, much easier if you can pull the rock. I use a wooden chop stick and very gently push against the edge of the foot - being sure not to damage the foot at all. Then I just work around the edge of the foot. Once the edges have released it will usually start to let go of the rock. Just make sure you are holding it over the tank or a bowl of tank water. Done this many times with total success. NOTE - sometimes this can take 2 minutes or up to 10 minutes. You can let the nem hang into the tank or bowl water as you do this most times if you feel it's been out for a while. These nems are occasionally out of water during extreme low tides too, so I wouldn't worry too much. HTH

hillscp
03/14/2013, 06:02 PM
The old chopstick trick. I like it. Better than a credit card and you might get a fortune cookie too.

Thanks!