PDA

View Full Version : Help!Water level in the tank is not even!!!

ouyadi
03/15/2013, 08:10 AM
I am in the process of filling RO water to my 210 gallon tank and doing leak test now, this morning, I used my tape measure check the water level in 4 corners from waterline to the top of tank. the reading in both front corners(left side and right side) are 5 and 3/4 inch, but the reading in both back corner are 6 inch. So I think the front side is about 4.1%-4.2% higher than back side. When I put a ball on the stand, unless I give a initial force on it, the ball will not move. Do i need to make correction now? I will get a leveler tomorrow. when I correct the level, should I put shim under the tank or under the stand?

acabgd
03/15/2013, 08:13 AM
Hard to say without a leveler, but if uneven I woukd surely correct before filling.

username in use
03/15/2013, 08:17 AM
Are you sure the gravitational field around your home is not skewed?

I would correct it with shims and a level.

rrasco
03/15/2013, 08:31 AM
I'm not sure how much 1/4" will affect things, but at 210 gallons, you're dealing with a ton of weight, literally. My 210 broke last year and I'm fairly confident it was because the tank was not plumb level. I'd definitely get it absolutely level; side to side and front to back.

keithhays
03/15/2013, 08:40 AM
You should correct now, a 1/4" off will put more pressure on one of the corners of the tank and eventually blow it out. It should be dead level from all directions to keep the weight off the sides of the aquarium.

ouyadi
03/15/2013, 08:41 AM
thanks. when I correct the level, should I put shim under the tank or under the stand?

edsbeaker
03/15/2013, 08:45 AM
thanks. when I correct the level, should I put shim under the tank or under the stand?

Place shims under the stand. You want the tank to be sitting completely on the stand all the way around.

behlke
03/15/2013, 08:46 AM
Shim under the stand.

A shim between the tank and the stand could create a pressure point, which will cause the tank to fail in the future.

Later,Adam

rustyjames
03/15/2013, 10:26 AM
+1. Never shim the tank. You said you don't have a level. I'd check that the stand itself is plumb as well.

Humu Humu
03/15/2013, 11:07 AM
Please do yourself a favor and purchase a good level. They are not that expensive. Empty your tank, and use shims under the stand to level it as accurately as you can. Then put a few inches of fresh water in it, say 4 inches. Check the level again. Fill it another 4 inches. Check it again. Repeat until it is full. If at any time you see it showing signs of being not level, drain, shim and repeat. Large tanks need to be as perfectly level as possible.

billdogg
03/15/2013, 11:46 AM
Please do yourself a favor and purchase a good level. They are not that expensive. Empty your tank, and use shims under the stand to level it as accurately as you can. Then put a few inches of fresh water in it, say 4 inches. Check the level again. Fill it another 4 inches. Check it again. Repeat until it is full. If at any time you see it showing signs of being not level, drain, shim and repeat. Large tanks need to be as perfectly level as possible.

^^^Great Advice!^^^