PDA

View Full Version : Navy Blue Kole Tangs?

newaquarist
03/16/2013, 09:34 AM
I am very confused about Kole tang colors. My lfs has a beautiful navy blue yellow eyes kole tang in one of their display reef tanks. They don't seem to know much about them, unfortunately. Whenever I go to other lfs's their sale tanks all have brown yellow eyed kole tangs, and when I ask them about getting a navy blue one they look at me like I have 3 heads.

I did read somewhere on line that they all turn blue when they mature. Is hat right? Though the one at my lfs is only 4 inches and they say it has always been navy blue since they got it about a year ago when it was only 3 inches. I also have seen numerous other photos of navy yellow eyed kole tangs on the web.

What's the story with yellow eyed kole tangs and the brown vs blue coloring?

Thanks!

newaquarist
03/16/2013, 06:18 PM
Bump... Someone?

Windirmere
03/17/2013, 01:29 AM
Im interested to, because Im in the market for a kole tang when I set up the new tank @[email protected]

SSFiero
03/17/2013, 08:55 AM
sounds like an atlantic blue tang to me. I've seen them diving. they're yellow when younger.

phoenixstar89
03/17/2013, 09:33 AM
you're probably looking for a ctenochaetus binotatus. there's lots of different species of bristletooth tangs.

rachenbrazil
03/18/2013, 05:08 AM
The most striking Ctenochaetus tang complex as navy blue color would be Ctenochaetus striatus Cf. But as it grows turn into a brown fish. Yellow eye may seem dará blue when in proper care and in right lighting conditions ( under mh some looks like green so with more blue in lighting may looks like navy blue...