PDA

View Full Version : Carpet tank build.

cichlidconvert
03/16/2013, 10:18 AM
I've been putting together a 45tall tank for possibly two gigs or haddoni or even a mag down the line. It's been cycling for three weeksand I've been adding microbacter7 and bb every day. Once it gets done with its cycle I will be tying it into my 46bow and 30 gallon sump where I've had that system going for two years. And I'm hoping it will help keep the new system stable. The 46 has 75 lbs of live rock and an efficient macro algae filter. With a 125 coralife skimmer. So I won't tie them together for a little bit. But I have a couple questions about gig placement while I'm moving rocks around. I've seen them in rocks mostly and sand. Or is it about having a crevice. I've kept haddoni and h.mag before but gigs would be new. And I've heard once they acclimate they can be quite hardy, is that true? I've located two healthy gigs and I'm going to look at them in an hour. I won't be buying them yet. I'm just checking them out and seeing if they will hold it till my tanks link and stabilize. Unless my plan is unsound that is.

cichlidconvert
03/16/2013, 12:29 PM
I just checked out the two gigs one green and one blue. Super healthy great color, shaggy and most importantly acclimated. So let's see how my build goes and budget lol.

worm5406
03/16/2013, 10:37 PM
Any pictures?

cichlidconvert
03/16/2013, 11:59 PM
Yeah I got a picture:)
http://emob1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh542/Nemcrazy/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_9533_zps4ae6fe0b.jpg?t=1363499149
I hesitated posting it because it is his pic for advertising them. I'm trying to get both. He said he was in no hurry which let's me relax on the build and slow it down. Because he had a point about possible chemical warfare with a shared sump even with carbon/chemipure the possibility exists. And that is significant. I have most of what I need to do a separate sump right now. So I'm leaning that way right now.

Terrance
03/17/2013, 01:28 AM
Sea King Aquariums?

Here is his facebook with a closer pic: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=455159951216822&set=pb.399175710148580.-2207520000.1363504891&type=3&theater

cichlidconvert
03/17/2013, 01:39 AM
Yep

Terrance
03/17/2013, 01:43 AM
I was eyeballing the same two carpets lol. I'm currently doing research to put those 2 in my 120g lol. I'm stuck on differentiating between haddoni and gigantea. I only want haddoni.

edit: I think we are looking at 2 haddoni

cichlidconvert
03/17/2013, 01:59 AM
They are definitely gigantea. The tentacles were longer and they were vibrating. I've had a haddoni and they have a smoother look.

stickleback
03/17/2013, 02:15 AM
They appear to be 100% Gigantea to me:)

Terrance
03/17/2013, 03:10 AM
I'm off your radar for these 2 beautiful gigantea. Just hope nobody else is after them.

cichlidconvert
03/17/2013, 03:15 AM
Lol i know. I just want to get this tank started. Then I can worry. Right now I'm liking the inspiration:)

D-Nak
03/17/2013, 01:03 PM
Gigs like rocks, but fall in between a BTA and mags in terms of how they attach - BTAs typically like a crevice while mags typically like flat surfaces and spread out their foot. IME, my gigs like smoother rocks but don't spread out like mags.

The gigs in the photos don't look healthy. They look like typical sick gigs -- balding, short tentacles, and even pastel color. They should have a brown tinge with indicates a healthy population of zooxanthellae. Freshly imported gigs do well for about 3 weeks, then start the inflation/deflation cycle that usually leads to death. All of the gigs looked decent in the store/wholesaler, so don't let this fool you into thinking the gig is healthy. Treating them with Cipro from the beginning seems to help a lot.

I think you have two options -- ask the LFS to hold them for one month (give them a deposit) or take them home now and treat them with Cipro in a QT tank. If you really do want them, it may be worth buying them so you can care for them. Not to say that your LFS won't take good care of them, but sick gigs can quickly take a turn for the worse so you need to monitor them. Make sure you QT them in separate tanks for you can treat them individually. Gigs have a way of transmitting their ailment to one another.

I personally don't like putting gigs in anything less than a 60 gallon tank, so two in a 45 would be tight. Recently I've seen people keep multiple gigs together, but I've also read reports of possible allelopathy between gigs -- one does well and the other looks as if it's suffering. I have seen multiple gigs in a huge system, but it was hundreds of gallons.

cichlidconvert
03/17/2013, 03:37 PM
Thanks d-nak. Im not sure if I'll do both anyway. Budget wise, and I'm not a fan of chemical warfare. My tank is not where I want it right now. In a month it will be much closer I'm thinking. Otherwise I could buy the green right now. I want the blue but cost is an issue. The pics were taken two months ago. They look good in the store with vibrant color. He was saying he hasn't seen any deflation from them. But I have been studying cipro treatment anyway. Gotta be ready if need be. I made a couple spots in the rock work that sound like what you were suggesting.

OrionN
03/17/2013, 04:05 PM
Thanks d-nak. Im not sure if I'll do both anyway. Budget wise, and I'm not a fan of chemical warfare. My tank is not where I want it right now. In a month it will be much closer I'm thinking. Otherwise I could buy the green right now. I want the blue but cost is an issue. The pics were taken two months ago. They look good in the store with vibrant color. He was saying he hasn't seen any deflation from them. But I have been studying cipro treatment anyway. Gotta be ready if need be. I made a couple spots in the rock work that sound like what you were suggesting.
I don't think you need to worry about chemical war fare between two Gigantea.
Is the LFS local to you or is he going to ship to you?. You may want to place a deposit on them so that he won't sell it. Most of the LFS will accept this.
The picture does not show healthy Giganteas. The two anemones showed is typical of new arrival anemones that are not in bad shape. Two months in his store they should look better now, if he adequately provide for them. If they are doing well and get better, and he is taken good care of them, I would not hesitant to pay the full amount and pick them up later when your tank is ready.

cichlidconvert
03/17/2013, 08:53 PM
They did look better no bald spots and hairy. So I feel pretty good about it. But I am cautious buying two. They will be the only things in the tank aside from two clowns (pink skunks, saddelback,or clarkii)and maybe one or two other fish and very little coral. but it will be a species tank. I appreciate the help. Gigs are a new frontier for me.

OrionN
03/17/2013, 09:18 PM
I would stay away from Saddle Back. They have a very bad habit of digging and diving into the mouth of an anemone. I know of several healthy anemone get kill but Saddle Back. One of my large Haddoni was killed by my Saddle back and I know of several other people had the same thing happened to them.
Black Saddle Back with their yellow face and yellow pectoral's fins are beautiful but I will never buy another pair.

xtlosx
03/18/2013, 08:23 AM
I would stay away from Saddle Back. They have a very bad habit of digging and diving into the mouth of an anemone. I know of several healthy anemone get kill but Saddle Back. One of my large Haddoni was killed by my Saddle back and I know of several other people had the same thing happened to them.
Black Saddle Back with their yellow face and yellow pectoral's fins are beautiful but I will never buy another pair.

Yea +1 on the saddle back... I had one with a RBTA that was mean to it.. Not only was she rough with the RBTA, but she was a ***** with EVERYTHING else in the tank.

Pinkskunk
03/18/2013, 09:00 AM
another vote down for the saddleback, they are the best clownfish if you want to rid off your anemone the hard and brutal way.

please dont let anyone tell you otherwise, you do NOT want to take a chance with this clown with such delicate and beautiful nems, or any nems for that matter. ok i think i stretch the point enough :)

cichlidconvert
03/18/2013, 09:56 AM
Well I don't need saddlebacks. I think I'm leaning towards pink skunks to be honest unless a stunning pair of clarkii show up at the lfs. My tank is getting ready to add fish so I may pick some up this week. And I'm designing my sump and adding baffles. Securing the filter sock and installing the return line. I also will be fixing and diy a broken overflow this week. There is no time like the present so I will run tests today and hit home depot for parts.

cichlidconvert
03/19/2013, 02:52 AM
So I took tests after my last post and had trace ammonia. 0 nitites and 5 nitrates. Doing good for now. I'm really wanting to get a good ammonia test reading. and hope the nitrates don't peak to high. This so far has been a very mild cycle. I think its due to daily dosing of the microbacter7. One of the pieces of rock I bought this weekend had a mantis shrimp bail out of the rock I moved him to the a a breeder pen in the sump. I thought it might have been a pest in that tank. Oh and I forgot to say the store, is local. I located a pair of skunks so I might hold them a week. Just in case

Pinkskunk
03/19/2013, 06:22 AM
gigs are sensitive even to well established tank, i am very worry for you and the gigs with this very new tank. if i were you, i would hold the temptation and wait for the near future otherwise you will likely experience heartbreak and also lost money in the process. just my 2 cents.

cichlidconvert
03/19/2013, 11:05 AM
Well that's what I was starting to think once the idea of linking systems went to the backburner. My hope in linking them was to create that stability. But there is a chance of aleopathy even if I use carbon/chemi pure. And I certainly dont want to add them to an unstable system. Would linking the system for a month or two then separating them work to stabilize the new tank? It's a shot in the dark, I know:)

D-Nak
03/19/2013, 11:33 AM
Instead of linking them, why not just pull some rock out of the established system and put them in the new one?

In terms of allelopathy, I think it's always present, just that the negative effects are not always evident. For example, I believe that my toadstools were affecting my gig. When my toadstool got very big and dropped babies, my gig would stretch out more. I removed the last of the toadstools just the other day, and the gig looks a lot more like a normal gig -- it's no longer stretching its column and has deep folds of a typical gig. I admit that it could be a coincidence, but nothing else changed in my tank. I'm curious to see if other gig owners have toadstools or other softies in their tanks.

In terms of gigs and hardiness, IME they are VERY hardy once they are established. If your LFS had them for 2 months already, they are already acclimated to captive life and should be fine. I suggest taking some updated photos and posting them so we can assess their overall condition.

worm5406
03/19/2013, 11:36 AM
You can do that but then any cycle would be transferred to the existing tank.

Think of it this way, bad analogy but you get the point...

A drop of oil in a 5 gallon bucket has a sheen over it. Now connect a few 5 gallon buckets together and the oil is diluted over them all.

Like I said bad analogy but you get the point.

For my self I am going to do a 180DT+40Sump+120DT+50Sump... I am going to do this when I get done painting and finishing the majority of my build out.

D-Nak
03/19/2013, 11:49 AM
You can do that but then any cycle would be transferred to the existing tank.

Think of it this way, bad analogy but you get the point...

A drop of oil in a 5 gallon bucket has a sheen over it. Now connect a few 5 gallon buckets together and the oil is diluted over them all.

Like I said bad analogy but you get the point.

For my self I am going to do a 180DT+40Sump+120DT+50Sump... I am going to do this when I get done painting and finishing the majority of my build out.

While I agree with this, I think that spreading out the load, especially with a system that's probably capable of handing it, will speed up the process. However, I think we can all agree that waiting for the new tank to fully cycle is the best scenario. Patience is gold in this hobby. :lol2:

I would personally wait at least 6 months, and make sure that SPS are growing and thriving without browning or bleaching (indicates good, stable water parameters) before adding a gig but I understand the level of excitement and need to "speed things up" especially when gigs are involved. :lmao:

cichlidconvert
03/19/2013, 12:21 PM
I have pulled about 7 lbs of rock from the bta tank a week ago and added 12 pounds of well cured live rock last week to the 20lbs already cooking. I can swap another 10lbs from the sump tonight. I've been doing water changes and putting the bta tank water in the new tank. One reason why I think it's the mildest cycle I've had during a build. I have a lot to think about over the next few days. Lol and it's not just that gigs are involved. If I don't get these two. Then it will be sloooowwww mode and I may get haddonis or a mag. But it isn't often you find two gigs that have been in a tank for two months (3 at earliest of me picking them up maybe 4) and only 40 min drive away.

cichlidconvert
03/22/2013, 11:03 PM
Well skunks it's is:) earlier this week the tank has stopped the ammonia/nitrite cycle and is registering 5 nitrates. Diatoms are in bloom and the cuc is working. So off I went to my favorite reef store. While I was looking around I saw a pair of skunks that had just shown up and looked perfect. So I picked them up and they're exploring their new reef. It now feels like a tank and not a build for the first time. There is still much to do. Such as making the canopy. I have some African mahogany left over from a buy/teardown which should work. I'll be working on it next week sometime. And now that the ammonia/nitrite is done it's tempting to link the systems now. But luckily I don't have a working overflow or I'd be telling y'all that I did it already lol.
http://emob1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh542/Nemcrazy/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_6595_zps00704c11.jpg?t=1364012876

cichlidconvert
04/12/2013, 01:07 PM
Well Its now been 7 weeksand the test readings are as follows Ammonia=0 Nitrite=0 Nitrate=0 Diatoms are gone completely. Feather dusters, zoas and sponges are doing well along with the frag of montipora digitata. im thinking of putting in some of my red flame algae into the display since its only two pink skunks and a yellow tail damsel.
http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh542/Nemcrazy/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_5677_zps12a0b222.jpg
http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh542/Nemcrazy/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_8173_zps408ab99d.jpg
I can truly say the cycle is finished and really I've never had such a mild cycle. The gigs have now been in captivity at the lfs for 4 months now and cont to appear healthy hmmm lol. its so hard not to pick them up:)

cichlidconvert
04/13/2013, 01:17 AM
OK I have achieved zero ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. So I disconnected the sump from the bta tank and hooked it up to the carpet tank. I placed a large packet of purigen under the intake into the sump and placed chemi-pure elite in the return chamber. I also beefed up the flow to 3250gph (in a 45). There was a lot of detritus that kicked up but its running clear now. Its getting close:)

cichlidconvert
04/13/2013, 03:24 PM
OK so I picked up the nems and they are in the tank!! They are the stickiest tropical nems I have ever dealt with:) They have a deep brown disk with vibrant tentacles. They have tightly closed mouths. After being transfered into the tank they shrunk but kept their shape and are slowly expanding as I increase flow in the tank. I have it at 550 gph then in an hour or so I will increase it another 950 then tonight resume its normal flow of 3200. They were attached to netting that i wasnt able to release them from so it looks like they will have to release on their own. I didn't want to stress them anymore than neccessary. Here are two pics of them minutes after introduction to the tank.
http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh542/Nemcrazy/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_5850_zps87bc839b.jpg?t=1365886282
http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh542/Nemcrazy/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_7048_zpsb801b38c.jpg?t=1365886277

RIGUY314
04/13/2013, 03:28 PM
very nice. they look great. good luck.

cichlidconvert
04/13/2013, 08:31 PM
Here is a video after taking off for a couple hours and found them right where I was hoping.
But Im wondering if thats enough flow They seem to like it but I haven't even kicked on the major flow.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/85vRUVbMCIA?list=UU4fTb18Uu4A5cXxP9nRbZ6A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

worm5406
04/13/2013, 08:50 PM
Very nice.

Terrance
04/13/2013, 08:55 PM
I was just talking with Chris about your tank when I saw the carpets in his possession 4-5 days ago. We were pondering when you would pick them up.

I'm glad it all worked out for you.

cichlidconvert
04/13/2013, 10:55 PM
Chris is a great guy and a pleasure to work with. It was hard to have patience waiting for the tank to come around. But it appears to have worked out so far:) BTW the Blue is hosting the male skunk:D

Daniel62
04/14/2013, 12:39 AM
very nice:)

cichlidconvert
04/14/2013, 11:55 AM
I woke up to this scene:)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/b7_POC0J8vo?list=UU4fTb18Uu4A5cXxP9nRbZ6A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
The gigs have opened up and are at least twice the size they were last night, and look to be aclimating well. I fired up the big pump and it looked like it was too much flow. So I will mess with it more tomorrow and see what else I can figure.

OrionN
04/14/2013, 04:31 PM
Good luck with them. They are beautiful

xtlosx
04/14/2013, 05:53 PM
The green looks great, and has the same color our green does!!! Yours is much shaggier, but hoping ours recovers in time! Good luck, keep us posted would ya :-)

ptr13
04/15/2013, 08:11 PM
very nice gigs, love the skunk clowns, beautiful.

cichlidconvert
04/18/2013, 11:58 AM
OK I am almost at the week mark and nothing major to report. The blue gig hasn't settled yet and walked across the tank to the black beach at the right of the tank. Its a spot that I thought a gig might like but I didn't anticipate the green gig shading that spot. The blue gets light down there just not as much as if it moved.The mouths are closed for the most part. I've held off on feeding them at this point, but since they don't seem very stressed I'm starting to wonder if should sometime coming up. I know its good to go a month before feeding when they are acclimating so I'm in no hurry.
http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh542/Nemcrazy/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_5044_zps00eae632.jpg?t=1366306868
http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh542/Nemcrazy/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_2315_zpsf9c5c4b1.jpg?t=1366307001
The last pic was to show the base of the blue gig and how its attached.

xtlosx
04/18/2013, 03:27 PM
OK I am almost at the week mark and nothing major to report. The blue gig hasn't settled yet and walked across the tank to the black beach at the right of the tank. Its a spot that I thought a gig might like but I didn't anticipate the green gig shading that spot. The blue gets light down there just not as much as if it moved.The mouths are closed for the most part. I've held off on feeding them at this point, but since they don't seem very stressed I'm starting to wonder if should sometime coming up. I know its good to go a month before feeding when they are acclimating so I'm in no hurry.
http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh542/Nemcrazy/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_5044_zps00eae632.jpg?t=1366306868
http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh542/Nemcrazy/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_2315_zpsf9c5c4b1.jpg?t=1366307001
The last pic was to show the base of the blue gig and how its attached.

First off, your gigs look very nice. I am looking forward six months when my green is as shaggy as yours... Can't wait!!

Do you notice a lot of color on your green's column and underside of his pedal do you see very obvious purple verracue? There were a lot of people who doubted my green was even a Gigantea, so just curious... ours look very similar because I have seen other greens that have a more colorful foot\column and obvious verracue...

cichlidconvert
04/18/2013, 04:59 PM
The green has a colorful green foot and the verdacue are noticeable but not a bright purple. Definitely easy to see though.

5Starreef
04/18/2013, 07:31 PM
Very beautiful nems. Seems you know well what you are doing.

cichlidconvert
04/19/2013, 06:43 PM
First off, your gigs look very nice. I am looking forward six months when my green is as shaggy as yours... Can't wait!!

Do you notice a lot of color on your green's column and underside of his pedal do you see very obvious purple verracue? There were a lot of people who doubted my green was even a Gigantea, so just curious... ours look very similar because I have seen other greens that have a more colorful foot\column and obvious verracue...

So Greenie cooperated and showed its foot. So I snapped some pics of it to show you. The pics dont show how green it is and the verracue are definitely purple and very visible.
http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh542/Nemcrazy/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_8302_zpse5eaed20.jpg?t=1366418321

cichlidconvert
04/22/2013, 01:26 PM
OK so yesterday I was feeding my clowns mysis and they fed the green who ate like a champ. and fed the blue. I was trying to feed the nems but the clowns didn't eat at all they just stored their food. Well last night the blue had shrunk to just under half its size and looked like it pooped and was an half digested mysis. it was hard to tell. Shrinking at night has been normal for the blue but since I changed the flow it has shrunk even more at night. Well this morning it was as small as I have seen it. and took its time inflating when the lights came on. I since then added a replaced the 550gph pump with a 1000gph pump to match the pump on the right. Now its getting hammered with flow and is responding well. Oh and I ordered cipro and I'm resealing my 10 gallon for a QT tank, just in case.
On another note, I bought a 200 gallon cube last summer. I had to cut it apart and rebuild do to it being a DIY tank(built by another reefer) that failed. But I wasn't able to finish it do to an injury at work. But now I'm going to get it put back together by a great custom tank building store here. And that will be the new Gig tank. It's gonna take awhile but its going to be worth it. Gigs, clams, and just a few corals. Wish me luck I'll need it:)

xtlosx
04/22/2013, 01:41 PM
So Greenie cooperated and showed its foot. So I snapped some pics of it to show you. The pics dont show how green it is and the verracue are definitely purple and very visible.
http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh542/Nemcrazy/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_8302_zpse5eaed20.jpg?t=1366418321

Thank you for the picture, that is a great reference.. I think mine will be more interesting to see the tentacle colors (base and tips) match up more with what you have.. Mine might be a little more bleached, but it has a great green gig on the tips..

As well, at the LFS I saw some verracue, and now I had a hard time seeing them, but then again mine is planted on an island and never shows me his foot or column for that matter.. The foot was certainly not green as far as I could tell, but then again when I got my green gig it was barely 2.5" and now it's 6-7" in less than a month. It may very well have been super stressed, and it might look different now, but he doesn't cooperate quite as nicely as yours :-) Wondering if mine is one of the elusive hybrids like Minh's, or it is just recovering from being very very very stressed. Either way, looking good!

cichlidconvert
04/23/2013, 12:35 PM
So yesterday I had a scare with big blue. It was shrunk down more than I had ever seen it. and there was very little flow on it.

So I upped the flow and blue puffed back up. Well this morning it was looking like its normal pre lights on state and got back to normal size and its tentacles have lengthened.again to what they looked like before moving. I thought I would shoot some video of them with the new flow and show where the purple haddoni is gonna be. It will be in the corner all the way to the left. There is a wall of flow in the center of the tank that allows it to stay on its side. That and that's where the sand is the deepest and has room to spread all the way open.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/K-dsqfD8Pm0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[URL=http://s1251.photobucket.com/user/Nemcrazy/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0856_zps71548f44.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh542/Nemcrazy/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0856_zps71548f44.jpg

xtlosx
04/23/2013, 12:39 PM
Your gigs look great. Specifically, I can't wait until my green has long and flowy tentacles... There's something about the green color that amazes me more than the purple\blue.... Good work!

cichlidconvert
04/27/2013, 05:47 PM
Well this build just got serious in a big way!! I was talking with Oceans by Design about completing my 4'x4' cube. They are the best tank builders up here and I can't wait to get it in my living room. And will be perfect for carpets since it will only be 20" tall. Total volume will be 275 with the sump. All sticlodactyl nems, clams and some Sps. Lighting will be either a 400w mh or two 250w mh. This will eventually become it's own thread soon. But now you know why I'm looking for more gigs and sweet haddoni on that note I bought a mini red haddoni
http://emob1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh542/Nemcrazy/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_5859_zps4697de52.jpg?t=1367106196
That pic was taken after heavily handling it trying to place it in the tank. It has smoothed out a bit and attached to rockwork but has the feather duster right on top of the oral disk.

cichlidconvert
05/07/2013, 01:40 AM
I cant believe its almost been a month. I wanted to show a video of the green gig before i adjusted the flow to keep from rearranging my sandbed. the green loves the new flow but it this video the clownfish looks like she's loving life in the mansion lol
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Hk76UV4-bGs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

worm5406
05/07/2013, 06:20 AM
Very nice and very happy clown...

How are you adjusting the flow? More horizontal?

cichlidconvert
05/07/2013, 07:14 AM
I aimed the powerheads at each other but just a little off center, to create more chaotic flow near the green which also took pressure off the sand bed. It looks great actually with both gigs flowing around and both are getting longer tentacles also. This prompted the blue gig to take to higher ground and is getting more light. So here is another vid showing the fish at at first and then the gigs in the new flow.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p9kfn-5EVVU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

D-Nak
05/07/2013, 10:32 AM
Well this build just got serious in a big way!! I was talking with Oceans by Design about completing my 4'x4' cube. They are the best tank builders up here and I can't wait to get it in my living room. And will be perfect for carpets since it will only be 20" tall. Total volume will be 275 with the sump. All sticlodactyl nems, clams and some Sps. Lighting will be either a 400w mh or two 250w mh. This will eventually become it's own thread soon. But now you know why I'm looking for more gigs and sweet haddoni on that note I bought a mini red haddoni
http://emob1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh542/Nemcrazy/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_5859_zps4697de52.jpg?t=1367106196
That pic was taken after heavily handling it trying to place it in the tank. It has smoothed out a bit and attached to rockwork but has the feather duster right on top of the oral disk.

Sounds like a cool project. Definitely start a build thread when you're ready.

These nems that stores are calling mini haddoni or mini carpets are most likely S. tapetum.

Here area few threads about them:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2176622

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2203020&highlight=mini+carpet

Some for sale:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2264550&highlight=mini+carpet

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2228587&highlight=mini+carpet

Rotknee
05/07/2013, 04:57 PM
I have two red S. Tapetum in my tank. I have had them for about a year. I originally bought one and it split within the first three months of being in my tank. The "baby" moved to the opposite side of the tank and has remained in the one spot since then. I'll feed mysis shrimp every so often and they appear to be doing well. They share a tank with a gig and haddoni and everybody appears happy.

I really like your gigs and congrats again.:thumbsup: I hope they continue to do well for you. Looking forward to your build log with the new tank. A 4X4 cube will be sweet!

cichlidconvert
05/10/2013, 11:03 PM
I hate &$@!ing suction cups!!! One of my powerheads detached and blew away the entire sanded that was designed for a haddoni. Well it's not deep anymore because it wiped out the front left corner of the tank all the way to glass. After pushing surrounding sand in it's now only 2 1/2" deep nowand 5-6" under the rocks. Grrrr I hate suction cups!!! Oh and looks like my vertrallis anthias is very sick:( not a good day.

D-Nak
05/10/2013, 11:44 PM
Sorry to hear about your string of bad luck.

Ventralis and carpet anemone aren't a good mix. Ventralis like cold water while the nems like warm water. I think only one will be happy -- either the nem or the anthias -- since one comes from shallow water and the other comes from deep water.

cichlidconvert
05/11/2013, 12:22 AM
I know. But unfortunately it was too late. I bought the anthias not knowing it was special needs. The lfs guy didnt know. He was just giving recomendations on anthias which was gonna be hard enough as it was. But I am currently trying to catch it to put in a hospital tank and medicate it. and if it recovers, I will trade it back in.

cichlidconvert
06/27/2013, 08:34 PM
I deciced to get back on this thread after the successful acclimation of the purple gig. I am really enjoying this tank. I am still trying to find a way to get the blue gig back to his former size. And I think lighting is the key. So this week I'll be looking for more lighting this week. The purple's tentacles are lengtheningand are close to an inch in the center and the tips are starting to regain color. The green has much longer tentacles and measure about 1 1/2'" And someone ate my blue sided wrasse! and none of them are fessing up. lol. Actually I blame the Haddoni cuz its acting weird. The yellow tips are turning green. Anyway here are some pics and a video. The first is the purple:)
http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh542/Nemcrazy/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0580_zps79a494d4.jpg (http://s1251.photobucket.com/user/Nemcrazy/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0580_zps79a494d4.jpg.html)
The green with the blue in the background.
http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh542/Nemcrazy/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1651_zps6798e16e.jpg (http://s1251.photobucket.com/user/Nemcrazy/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1651_zps6798e16e.jpg.html)
FTS
http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh542/Nemcrazy/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_5253_zps577603ea.jpg (http://s1251.photobucket.com/user/Nemcrazy/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_5253_zps577603ea.jpg.html)
and the video.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/V3LjpjGTSZk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Some of you have seen this one before so I apologize and will make a new one soon.