PDA

View Full Version : Help identify whats wrong with a big softy????

yachtdr22
03/16/2013, 12:00 PM
Greetings all,

Can someone help me identify whats up with this guy..
usually has green plop extensions, some type of toadstool ?

thanks
Drew

MARINECRITTERS
03/16/2013, 12:05 PM
toadstool
It does not look very healthy though, what are your parameters? although there is a chance it is just sloughing/shedding of a layer of skin, this is a naturally cycle leather corals go through.

billdogg
03/16/2013, 01:35 PM
it does not look to good to me either. Are you running carbon? Google the word "allelopathy" (i think thats the right spelling) all of your zoas are waging a winning war against the toadstool.

yachtdr22
03/17/2013, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the reply...
This is what he looks like today.
I was wondering about the holes in the top? easier to see when closed..

Thanks
Drew

yachtdr22
03/17/2013, 03:42 PM
it does not look to good to me either. Are you running carbon? Google the word "allelopathy" (i think thats the right spelling) all of your zoas are waging a winning war against the toadstool.

Had to pull the carbon out last week because the BRS Carbon Reactor had the ROX .8 carbon tumbling that resulted in a sick clam. running double GFO until next week.

Does it look like the Zoas are stinging the Toadstool?
It has been there for a year?

Thanks
Drew

ACBlinky
03/17/2013, 05:54 PM
Are those holes in the top of the leather? A toadstool should feel like leather -- tough, flexible tissue, smooth-textured when the polyps are retracted. If any of the tissue is soft, squishy, 'cheesy', falling apart, the leather is dying. Luckily these corals can be fragged and any healthy piece will regrow into a full leather.

If you can slice off a healthy piece of tissue and doesn't continue to degrade, you should be able to lay it between a couple of small rocks (or use an elastic band to gently hold it onto a piece of rock) and it will attach and begin to regrow fairly quickly.

I have a green-polyped toadstool that began as a 1/2" x 1.5" slice of the cap, and within the last month it has attached to a rock, developed a small stalk, and the cap now measures 2" x 2.5" or so and is starting to take on the characteristic mushroom shape. These are tough, tough corals. Best of luck with yours.

Khemul
03/18/2013, 02:59 PM
How is the flow in that area? The damage looks like it'd be in the area detritus would collect if flow was allowing it to happen. I'd expect that type of leather to handle even that fine, but maybe a war with its neighbors is weakening it.

yachtdr22
03/18/2013, 08:59 PM
Are those holes in the top of the leather? A toadstool should feel like leather -- tough, flexible tissue, smooth-textured when the polyps are retracted. If any of the tissue is soft, squishy, 'cheesy', falling apart, the leather is dying. Luckily these corals can be fragged and any healthy piece will regrow into a full leather.

If you can slice off a healthy piece of tissue and doesn't continue to degrade, you should be able to lay it between a couple of small rocks (or use an elastic band to gently hold it onto a piece of rock) and it will attach and begin to regrow fairly quickly.

I have a green-polyped toadstool that began as a 1/2" x 1.5" slice of the cap, and within the last month it has attached to a rock, developed a small stalk, and the cap now measures 2" x 2.5" or so and is starting to take on the characteristic mushroom shape. These are tough, tough corals. Best of luck with yours.

I think the Zoas were stinging him for some reason. He would stand fairly erect most of the time, but i think he got really happy and the top got heavy and leaned over to touch the zoas? does that sound plausible?

Thanks
Drew

yachtdr22
03/18/2013, 09:00 PM
How is the flow in that area? The damage looks like it'd be in the area detritus would collect if flow was allowing it to happen. I'd expect that type of leather to handle even that fine, but maybe a war with its neighbors is weakening it.

Flow is good.. i think the Zoas are ****ed because he leaned over too far?

thanks
Drew