PDA

View Full Version : getting rid of "miracle mud"

acrylicreefer
03/16/2013, 05:08 PM
hey guys,

i have a 30 gal finnex system, that has been running for a few years. i want to get rid of the miracle mud in the refugium and just use the caulerpa that has been growing. how much will this effect/impact my system in a negative way?

alexander_ktn
03/16/2013, 05:40 PM
I would say it depends on your bioload and if the other components of your system can handle it.

If you are using a skimmer and have a tank with sufficient life rock and currently no problems with nutrient export the impact will probably be quite small.

acrylicreefer
03/16/2013, 06:52 PM
no skimmer actually, parameters are good. but have noticed that after 5-6 days water quality rapidly drops. This normally happens when it is time to change the mud so i may give it a shot... hook my skimmer back up. any other thoughts?

alexander_ktn
03/16/2013, 07:00 PM
So you change the mud every few days? I thought it was supposed to be a biological filter - and as such it would need weeks to grow the necessary bacteria to do the job and be effective.

A skimmer isn't necessary but it definitely helps, if nothing else it helps with aerating the water which brings a lot of stability/safety to the system.

sirreal63
03/16/2013, 07:48 PM
It's mostly quartz, no real filtration is being performed by the mud. The only real impact it has is from the trace iron feeding the macro algae. Turn off the flow to the fuge and remove it.

acrylicreefer
03/17/2013, 05:54 AM
So you change the mud every few days? I thought it was supposed to be a biological filter - and as such it would need weeks to grow the necessary bacteria to do the job and be effective.

A skimmer isn't necessary but it definitely helps, if nothing else it helps with aerating the water which brings a lot of stability/safety to the system.

Sorry... after rereading my post I realize that i wasn't very clear. I change 50% about once a year. And I can tell when it's time to change it again because 5-6 days after a water change my I start getting higher than normal nitrate and phosphate levels (leaching) back into the tank. I have been reading that many people feel that it does just as much harm as good. And the price to replace it for little to no benefit (depending on who you ask), doesn't seem worth it. So I just wanted to get a few thoughts before I actually removed it.

Thanks for your reply.