PDA

View Full Version : Urgent---Advice Needed on ATI Powermodule

mess7777
03/16/2013, 07:32 PM
Hi all,

I found a good price on an 8x54w ATI powermodule fixture. I talked to the guy and the only problem is that the fans don't work. He seems to think it's pretty easy to fix....but says he never bothered as he keeps his house very cool in the summer with Air Conditioning.

At $350 with used bulbs and 4 extra bulbs the price is right...but I am concerned about the fans not working as my understanding is that the fans increase the bulb life.

Has anyone had experience with this, and what it takes to get the fans working again? I understand there is no way to know for sure without looking at it.

kc350twin
03/16/2013, 07:44 PM
It honestly could be anything from a bad fan power supply or a connection to four bad fans. (Doubtful) ReefGeek is very helpful in diagnosing issues. You need to get them running though. I wouldn't stress getting in to it but the Powermodule is not the easiest unit to disassemble. I have had one completely torn down and I'm a professional automotive technician.

Kc3

kc350twin
03/16/2013, 07:47 PM
Early ones had a polarity issue in the black box junction. I would bet it is that or a power supply issue.
Do you have a multi-meter?

Kc3

mess7777
03/16/2013, 07:52 PM
I don't have a multimeter, but at the price this is selling I can afford to get one. :) I am just a little leary to jump in and find they are fried or something. Then it wasn't much of a deal at all....

rtparty
03/16/2013, 07:58 PM
I'd be more worried about the beating that the ballasts have taken with no fans. Doesn't matter how cool his house was, it was still overheating.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

mess7777
03/16/2013, 08:02 PM
hmmm.....good point. He definitely ran them for some time with no fans. I am guessing if a ballast goes that is not an easy fix nor cheap? And with the powermodule being disc. maybe impossible?

doakota1
03/16/2013, 08:36 PM
hmmm.....good point. He definitely ran them for some time with no fans. I am guessing if a ballast goes that is not an easy fix nor cheap? And with the powermodule being disc. maybe impossible?

I just replaced a ballast on my powermodule, and it was not fun. you can get new ballast for them

mess7777
03/16/2013, 08:39 PM
I just replaced a ballast on my powermodule, and it was not fun. you can get new ballast for them

expensive? I watched the reefgeek video and it looks cumbersome but do-able.