PDA

View Full Version : Recreating the Sargassum Sea?

Alavaster
03/17/2013, 03:52 PM
Hi everyone, I'm Alavaster! I'm pretty new to the Ref central community, But I've been in the addiction for a while now.

Living on the gulf, I've always been fascinated with the huge clumps of Sargassum sea weed that wash ashore every summer. These drifting habitats host all sorts of fascinating crustacean, mollusks, and fish that travel hundreds of miles with the currents. My question is, would it be possible to recreate that specific habitat.
Through physical collection and examination I have found at least 7-8 species of macro algae all clumped together, trigger fish, at least 10 species of shrimp, more varieties of snails and crabs than I can count, and even the occasional pipefish, or nudibranch! The macro algae floats along and a huge ecosystem thrives just below, and inside of it.
I would consider collection for stocking such a tank. But I only consider collection, because every year I am sad to see all the Sargassum and life aboard its yellow leaves wash up and die in droves. . So I have the opportunity to find specimens just before they wash ashore. (also local laws and regulations would need to be checked and followed before any permanent collection)What would be the best method of keeping such a macro in a small dedicated display aquarium?
Obviously the main things to consider would be
>Lighting (focused more on growing macro Algae rather than coral)
>Flow (species collected will have traveled on ocean currents just fine)
>Containment of sargassum (prevention of system clogging from Sargassum)
>Species desired (as many are aggressive)
> Filtration
> Size/ depth of tank

up until now I have considered trying a thin sand bed with various benthic species (gobies, brittle stars, conch) and then a top layer of Sargassum on the surface with Sargassum host species. creating a full range of life that would be found here in the Caribbean.

Any input or advice would be awesome. I want to know if anyone else is as fascinated by this stuff as I am! :rollface:

alexander_ktn
03/18/2013, 02:23 AM
Sounds very interesting! I don't have any experiences with keeping sea weed, but wish you luck with your endeavor! You might find at least some information in the Marine Plants & Macroalgae forum, a lot of people show their experiences with algae-based tanks there.

billsreef
03/18/2013, 04:37 AM
I'd try setting up sideways kriesel sort of tank. AKA circular with no corners to trap to the Saragassum and it's critters. Set the filter returns to keep a good circular flow. Since this macro floats right on the surface, it's going to need lots of light. I have had bits I've collected grow under 400 watt halides, the old 6500K Iwasaki bulbs.

As for the many different species of macro your finding together, I expect most, if not all the ones other than the Saragassum are ones that got caught up with the Saragassum on it's travels inshore. All the Saragassum I've seen out in the Saragasso Sea and drifting up the Gulf Stream have all been uniformly Saragassum with very few epiphytic growths of other algaes.

Alavaster
03/18/2013, 10:37 AM
Thanks alexander_ktn!
I'll through some questions over to the macro board.

Billsreef,
I had not considered something like a jellyfish tank. That was the biggest challenge, like you said, that it floats right on the surface. But I think the krisel would be an awesome solution. Either sideways or right side up I would be able to get up close and really view all the cool stuff running around in the sea weed. Which would be a problem with a rectangular tank. That's great to know you've been able to grow it under Halides.

I've been searching for the pictures I took, so hopefully If I find them I will update with some cool stuff.

billsreef
03/19/2013, 04:54 AM
Had lots of Saragassum floating in Biscayne Bay today with east wind. Unfortunately no time to play and scoop some up. Though did see a few juvenile Mahi Mahi around our boat dock :)