PDA

View Full Version : QT lighting different than DT?

r1racer
03/18/2013, 12:38 PM
Just wondering if anyone's coral has been effected by the change in lighting from qt to display? I have LEDs on my dt. What qt lighting should I use?

Cymonous
03/18/2013, 12:40 PM
Your QT lighting should match your DT lighting.

r1racer
03/18/2013, 12:44 PM
Ok...so I have razors and no way I am buying another...recommendations for 33g qt tank?

sleepydoc
03/18/2013, 01:34 PM
What are you quarantining? If it's only fish, you don't need much light. I just have a single 24" fluorescent fixture on mine.

Cymonous
03/18/2013, 01:54 PM
He is Quarantining Corals. You don't have to QT corals. You just have to do a coral dip. How old is your DT setup?

r1racer
03/18/2013, 02:10 PM
Ok good...was under the impression that coral should be observed also. For what exactly I don't know.

Slystone
03/18/2013, 03:27 PM
Some people do quarantine corals because the coral dip doesn't kill the eggs, but right, who can afford two razors. Maybe at least t5 s

sleepydoc
03/18/2013, 03:36 PM
Sorry - missed that. Yeah - I just do a dip for my corals. Equipment is expensive enough as it is. Who can afford two complete setups?

MondoBongo
03/18/2013, 03:53 PM
Ok good...was under the impression that coral should be observed also. For what exactly I don't know.

i have started quarantining my corals. from my understanding there are larval/cyst stages of some of the parasites and disease that can survive a dip.

i've gotten to the point now where i've invested a considerable amount in my tank in the form of livestock, corals, live rock, equipment, etc... seems silly to jeopardize it by not QT'ing everything.

right now i have a PC on my QT and have some zoas and a chalice in it. i'm not saying that it will be sufficient for all corals i purchase, but for now those two appear happy enough.

i have been keeping an eye on craigslist though, waiting for a nice, cheap, light to pop up from someone breaking down a tank. my current QT is only a 20 long though, so it doesn't take much to light it. it also sits right next to my main tank, so it is getting a good bit of ambient lighting from my LED's as well.