PDA

View Full Version : Phytoplancton culture: Continuous harvest VS batching?

Dark
03/18/2013, 02:06 PM
Anyone have'nt tryed to continuously take some of the phytoplancton culture instead of taking the whole batch appart to the fridge?

Let me explain my idea:
If I have a well established culture, started like 2 weeks ago. Guessing to take like 1/2 cup a day for the reef, then re-fill the 1/2 cup taken with new saltwater, and a (little) drop of plant grow. Does it be viable for every day process going a long run or will it crash? Maybe I can make it with 2 batches, and take 1/2 the first day on the batch "A", the next day on the batch "B", then repeat...

What do you think? I shoul be easy to do it automated, with an overflow on the phyto reactor...

Any ideas / doubts welcome...

Dark

NanoJosh
03/21/2013, 09:48 PM
i just tried this and every culture that i try to split a day or two after splitting crashes they need atleast a week to re establish after splitting

scubabum1983
03/23/2013, 08:33 PM
I batch culture in 1 gal jars. A continuous culture was too much of a pain to keep the nutrients up for the phyto, yet keep the nutrients low enough not to nutrient bomb the tank i was feeding it to with unused fert. I culture nanno, iso and tet.