PDA

View Full Version : SRO 1000int ok for ~120gal???

kbriers
03/18/2013, 05:21 PM
Just recently ordered a 105 gallon aquarium and I'm going to use my current 40 breeder display as my sump. My estimate is roughly 120 gallons total water volume or so.

My plan is to hopefully have a mainly sps with some lps tank. I currently have the sro 1000 running and I was wondering if you think this skimmer will work, or should I try and sell it and move up in size and if so, what size/brand/model etc would you suggest?

Thanks

James77
03/18/2013, 06:35 PM
It might do just fine, it is right on the line of its capacity. If you weren't packing the tank with too much bio load I'd go for it. If I were to upgrade, I'd go with the SRO 2000.....but give the 1000 a shot and see if it seems to be overwhelmed.

kbriers
03/18/2013, 09:31 PM
Cool thanks. I do have one question though. This is the first and only skimmer I have ever had, so I'm not real sure what to look for as far as it being overloaded.

Does the collection cup fill up too fast? Not produce skimmate/not enough? What do I need to look for to notice if its overworked?

Also, what is the difference between the hybrid cone design of the SRO xxxx INT and the SRO xxxx XP with the full cone design? is there a big enough difference in performance to justify the price difference?

Thanks again

James77
03/20/2013, 03:13 PM
If it is filling up with thick nasty crap rather quickly and you are having signs of excessive nutrients even while keeping all else in line. Actually some of the best performing skimmers have been wit the tank size right at the maximum rating. You already have the SRO1000, so I would give it a shot and see what you think. There are the usual 10% off sales in May, July and September...so you could buy then if you were unhappy.

Clownin Aroun
03/20/2013, 03:39 PM
I think the SRO 1000 should work just fine. The 2000 might be a little too big!!!

Although I agree with everything James said

wildman926
03/20/2013, 08:25 PM
The 2000 might be a little too big!!!

Not at all. I ran one on my 110g with a 30g sump for quite a while. Worked like a charm.

DHyslop
03/20/2013, 10:24 PM
Slightly undersized skimmer + neck cleaner = win

Clownin Aroun
03/21/2013, 02:05 PM
Not at all. I ran one on my 110g with a 30g sump for quite a while. Worked like a charm.

You may have had a large bio load.......that makes a very big difference.

Skimmer that are too big for the tanks water volume and bio load are not bad at all.......just much harder to get and KEEP dialed in to the spot you want them!

Just my opinion.

Matt

azjohnny
03/21/2013, 02:22 PM
What's your bio load

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildman926
03/21/2013, 07:13 PM
You may have had a large bio load.......that makes a very big difference.

Skimmer that are too big for the tanks water volume and bio load are not bad at all.......just much harder to get and KEEP dialed in to the spot you want them!

Just my opinion.

Matt

Nope, no big bioload. I have a skimmer on there rated for a 120g that performs just as well, same output. I skim wet, so it is all relative.

Not hard to keep dialed if they are large. They will have idle time more than a skimmer properly sized, but it is still doable. You can get away with the next size up skimmer, but not two sizes + up.

kbriers
03/21/2013, 08:12 PM
Thanks for all the comments. I think what I'm going to do is stick with what I have for now. No point in spending extra money on a skimmer when I may not have to.

This will just give me a reason to buy more coral:)

Thanks again everyone.