PDA

View Full Version : Clowfish looks a little bloated and is swimming funny. Any ideas?

cloak
03/19/2013, 12:16 PM
I've had a pair of Ocellaris clowns in my 20 gallon tank for about 3 years now. Right out of the blue, (yesterday) the larger of the two seems to be acting funny. The abdomen looks a little swollen, and it' swimming is abnormal. (head up/tail down most of the time) It's also staying in one corner of the tank. Not venturing out much. The fish have always been fed a diet that consists of live blackworms, NLS pellets, various flakes & frozen foods. (brine shrimp, formula one, etc)

If you have any ideas on what's going on, please let me know. If you need me to answer any questions, I can do that as well. Thanks. :)

DrPat
03/19/2013, 01:01 PM
There are many possible causes for a fish to lose the ability to be neutrally buoyant. Some fish can ingest air as they eat flake foods from the surface .they cant dive to deeper depths due to the air trapped in them. these fish will expel gas[air] from there anus as they defecate but ingest more air as they attack floating flakes. Incorrect diet can cause fatty liver syndrome resulting in a distended abdomen although the fish should be able to dive.Swim bladder or abdominal tumors although rare can occur

cloak
03/19/2013, 01:05 PM
When I feed dry foods such as pellets or flakes, I let them soak in a cup of water first. The fish never eat from the surface of the water, and I don't want anything going over the falls.

DrPat
03/19/2013, 01:28 PM
Ok THATS 1 RULE OUT CAN YOU POST A VIDEO?

cloak
03/19/2013, 02:15 PM
Lets see if this works.

http://s172.photobucket.com/user/jAb83_2007/media/video001_zpsb4e0fb8a.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0#/user/jAb83_2007/media/video001_zpsb4e0fb8a.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0&_suid=13637239180230965974438527264

cloak
03/20/2013, 03:08 PM
Today the fish is behaving the same way, only it seems to be resting up against that colony of zoas in the video quite a bit. I threw some spirulina flakes into the tank and the fish did seem to perk up. It ate a few, but it seemed to have a hard time getting to the flakes as they went by. It's still swimming really weird. Any ideas? Thanks.

DrPat
03/20/2013, 03:52 PM
Good job on the video. It appears that the fish is not able to move its spine and tail, clown fish swim in a S flex of the spine .You can see how the other fish swims . Fish have amazing healing and regrowth capabilities. The cause is a mystery, trauma is 1 cause and it looks like there is a slight discoloration on his right side . Did he get stung by something or hit on his side? OF course tumors or malnutrition could cause spinal issues. we may never know. I would continue to try to get food to him chopped clam, mysis,cyclopeeze etc.Its possible he will recover. PLS KEEP ME UPDATED AS THINGS PROGRESS I WILL CHECK BACK EACH DAY
ty Dr.PAT

cloak
03/20/2013, 04:02 PM
I don't think it got stung by anything. I have a bubble coral and a frogspawn, but there on the opposite side of the tank, and the two fish don't seem to get over there that often. I don't think it got hit by anything either. Everything in the tank is pretty stable. Thank you for the help. I'll continue trying to feed it different things and keep you updated. Thanks again.

DrPat
03/21/2013, 03:05 PM
Cloak how is the little guy doing?

cloak
03/22/2013, 07:01 PM
Not good...

90% of the time it's just laying on the sandbed next to that zoa colony. Every now and then it will perk up, but it didn't eat today and it just looks real lethargic. I hope it pulls through, but I'm not sure if that's going to happen. :(

cloak
03/26/2013, 12:58 PM
WOW!

Things are looking kind of good... The fish is more spry today, but when it want's to swim fast, it still spirals. Mo better than worse I guess... TY for checking and the reply's.

DrPat
03/26/2013, 01:52 PM
WOW!

Things are looking kind of good... The fish is more spry today, but when it want's to swim fast, it still spirals. Mo better than worse I guess... TY for checking and the reply's.

Glad to hear the little guy is still hanging in there how is the appetite? whats the tank temperature?