PDA

View Full Version : Mantle extended, straight up

Agu
05/09/2001, 12:30 PM
One of my croceas has gotten strange in the last 48 hrs. It fully extends it's mantle straight up. It's been in the tank in the same place for over 6 months(and is about 4" long) and during that time it extended it's mantle normally. Another crocea, a squamosa, and derasa are acting normally. I suspected algae or other irritant was bothering it and cleaned crud off the shell with no effect. Next thing I'll try is moving it to different flow, perhaps a powerhead has subtly shifted and is now irritating the clam. Also, it's on the bottom of a 180 with 400w mh, could this be a result of too little light over the long term? Any other suggestions? Anybody seen this?

Agu

Clyde
05/09/2001, 01:45 PM
dosing virgra ??

*grin*

mine did that once, for a few hours lights went out - I took it out and looked, I saw a tiny aptasia near the mantle

scrubbed that out.

dunno what your issue would be, the dosing or the irritant

mine used to do that once in a bit when a flamehawk uses it as a perch.

it stopped, i think the clam learned how to pinch.

Agu
05/09/2001, 03:36 PM
Didn't see aiptasia, but I wasn't looking. Guess it's time to get the magnifying glass out. Thanks for the idea.

Agu

herefishiefishie
05/10/2001, 09:27 AM
It seems like enough light to me. However, if the mantle is very colorful, the clam might be asking for more light. I would follow the wise course you are taking; examine the edges of the shell and mantle, and perhaps move the clam up a little.

Perhaps worry is not really in order yet. I occasionally see a clam in my tank doing this, or gaping a little every once in a while. However, it usually resolves pretty quickly.

Let us know how it turns out. I'm sorry I could not be of more help.

Agu
05/10/2001, 02:41 PM
Couldn't find any irritants on the shell. I'm starting to wonder if it's a light issue, the crocea halfway up the tank looks fine. Now I'll have to find a place for it on my minimal rockwork :(.

Agu